sysfs gpio deprecated?

Fred Kerr

Apr 11, 2018, 3:51:51 PM4/11/18
to BeagleBoard
Hi, I've started looking at the sysfs gpio interface and saw some notes that it's considered obsolete and deprecated. I'm looking for a good pointer to the ABI (?) character driver interface for gpio. I'll probably find one right after posting this. :)

In case I'm not using the right terminology, the sysfs interface is where you go to /sys/class/gpio and echo ## > export to get gpio pins exported that you can then interact with?

Thanks,
Fred

Drew Fustini

Apr 11, 2018, 4:03:51 PM4/11/18
to Beagle Board
The sysfs gpio ABI will be removed from the Linux kernel in 2020.  The new ABI uses a character device to represent each gpiochip.

libgpiod started by Bartosz Golaszewski is a good way for userspace code to use the the new ABI:

allsey

Jun 14, 2018, 5:57:33 AM6/14/18
to BeagleBoard
For any one else who finds this thread and wants to know more, there is a presentation discussion the new interface and libgpiod at: https://fosdem.org/2018/schedule/event/new_gpio_interface_for_linux/