No space on left device

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 10, 2018, 1:44:02 PM8/10/18
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

I am newbie, I use the version buster of my BeagleBone and when I run my application on it, I get "no space on left device"

How can I fix that please ?

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2018, 2:08:59 PM8/10/18
to Beagle Board, Ichrak Mansour
newbie's shouldn't be using buster.. It's still about 6 months away
from being released..

Did you try:

https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Expanding_File_System_Partition_On_A_microSD

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 10, 2018, 2:17:02 PM8/10/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
No, I will try that, but after I run that, The MicroSD must be usually put on the BeagleBone or I can take it off?
--
    ICHRAK Mansour
Etudiante en ingénierie Téléinformatique

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2018, 2:18:39 PM8/10/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 1:16 PM Ichrak Mansour
<ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> No, I will try that, but after I run that, The MicroSD must be usually put on the BeagleBone or I can take it off?

Huh?

It's to be "RUN" on the device..

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 10, 2018, 2:34:44 PM8/10/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
I mean after I run that :
cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull || true
sudo ./grow_partition.sh
sudo reboot
The microSD must be on the BeagleBone for running my application or it's normally when I take it off ?

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2018, 2:40:24 PM8/10/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 1:34 PM Ichrak Mansour
<ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I mean after I run that :
>
> cd /opt/scripts/tools/
> git pull || true
> sudo ./grow_partition.sh
> sudo reboot
>
> The microSD must be on the BeagleBone for running my application or it's normally when I take it off ?

That "script" only resizes the microSD in which the BeagleBoard.org
image you install via ethcher.io/dd/etc is located.

If you have another microSD with something else installed that has the
"No space on left device" issue, it's not our problem, and it's up to
you to either fix it or get a bigger microSD..

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 10, 2018, 3:16:16 PM8/10/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
You mean after doing these commands
cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull || true
sudo ./grow_partition.sh
sudo reboot
on the microSD which having the image of BeagleBone, I can write that on my BB ?

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2018, 3:25:33 PM8/10/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 2:16 PM Ichrak Mansour
<ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You mean after doing these commands
>
> cd /opt/scripts/tools/
> git pull || true
> sudo ./grow_partition.sh
> sudo reboot
>
> on the microSD which having the image of BeagleBone, I can write that on my BB ?

The elinux wiki states:

https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Expanding_File_System_Partition_On_A_microSD

Expanding File System Partition On A microSD[edit]

By default the microSD image is only about 2GB in size, to fully
expand the partition to the full size of your microSD card simple run.

cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull || true
sudo ./grow_partition.sh
sudo reboot

On the next reboot, [df -h] should show the full microSD card size.

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 10, 2018, 5:14:37 PM8/10/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
I get :
image.png

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2018, 5:18:16 PM8/10/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 4:14 PM Ichrak Mansour <ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:
I get :
image.png

See the disk went from 3.3G -> 3.7G

What do the directions say to do next?

Regards,

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 10, 2018, 5:24:01 PM8/10/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
when I run df -h, I get :
image.png

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2018, 5:26:33 PM8/10/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 4:23 PM Ichrak Mansour <ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:
when I run df -h, I get :
image.png

Say to do immediately after running: sudo ./grow_partition.sh ???

Regards,

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 10, 2018, 5:30:30 PM8/10/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
 I run df -h after :
cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull || true
sudo ./grow_partition.sh
sudo reboot

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2018, 5:32:56 PM8/10/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 4:30 PM Ichrak Mansour <ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:
 I run df -h after :
cd /opt/scripts/tools/
git pull || true
sudo ./grow_partition.sh
sudo reboot

Look again:

"sudo reboot"

Regards,

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 10, 2018, 6:02:22 PM8/10/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
It's still the same issue.

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2018, 6:07:54 PM8/10/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 5:02 PM Ichrak Mansour
<ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's still the same issue.

Please share this:

cat /var/log/resize.log

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 10, 2018, 6:11:32 PM8/10/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
image.png

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2018, 6:17:10 PM8/10/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 5:11 PM Ichrak Mansour <ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:
image.png

That shows us, resize2fs ran and the disk is already maxed out..

PS, buster is still 6 months out..

Regards,

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 10, 2018, 6:27:11 PM8/10/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
Now, can I write the Buster image on the BeagleBone? will it stay maximized? I need that just for 2 months.

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2018, 6:31:03 PM8/10/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board
Umm... The emmc 'flasher' script automatically maximizes the file partition.

Regards,

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2018, 6:32:48 PM8/10/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board
You've got 4gb on the emmc, if your application runs out of space on the emmc, you need to just use a bigger microsd card and have your application on that.

Regards,

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 10, 2018, 6:33:49 PM8/10/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
So after I write the image on the beaglebone, I take off the microSD and run my application or th microSD must be here please ?

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 10, 2018, 6:35:50 PM8/10/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
If i will use it on theSD card, can I run it at startup ?

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2018, 6:45:54 PM8/10/18

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018, 5:35 PM Ichrak Mansour <ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:
If i will use it on theSD card, can I run it at startup ?

Why not? Who said you can't???

On the BBB you have two options to install your root file system too...

eMMC: (limited to 4gb)
microSD: (limited to Max sdhc size)

Regards,

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 10, 2018, 6:49:23 PM8/10/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Robert, when I run my application at startup on the cardSD, it must be bootable with user boot ?

Robert Nelson

Aug 10, 2018, 8:12:15 PM8/10/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board
On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 5:49 PM Ichrak Mansour
<ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Robert, when I run my application at startup on the cardSD, it must be bootable with user boot ?

Why?

If the eMMC is blocking the microSD from booting, just clear it out:

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M count=10

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 11, 2018, 4:27:13 AM8/11/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Robert.

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 11, 2018, 5:43:50 AM8/11/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
When I access to the cloud9 into microSD, it's still loading few minutes and I get  Disconnected: Could not reach your workspace. Please try again later.
That's be caused to the size of microSD 4G ?

Robert Nelson

Aug 11, 2018, 8:47:20 AM8/11/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board
On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 4:43 AM Ichrak Mansour
<ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I access to the cloud9 into microSD, it's still loading few minutes and I get Disconnected: Could not reach your workspace. Please try again later.
> That's be caused to the size of microSD 4G ?

Nope... Cloud9 doesn't care about the size of the microSD..

Still 6 months till Buster is released...

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 11, 2018, 9:44:59 AM8/11/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
Have you of version of Image beaglebone which compatible with node v8.11.3 ?

Robert Nelson

Aug 11, 2018, 9:52:15 AM8/11/18

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018, 8:44 AM Ichrak Mansour <ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:
Have you of version of Image beaglebone which compatible with node v8.11.3 ?

Yes, we've talked about this previously. Same answer applies.

Regards,

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 11, 2018, 9:55:02 AM8/11/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
Can you give me please of version which compatible with node v8.11.2, I don't found that.

Robert Nelson

Aug 11, 2018, 10:20:34 AM8/11/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board
On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 8:54 AM Ichrak Mansour
<ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you give me please of version which compatible with node v8.11.2, I don't found that.

Search the archive:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/beagleboard

You'll find your original question on this and my answer..

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 11, 2018, 10:26:54 AM8/11/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
I found that :
image.png

But I need a version of node v8 and not v6

Robert Nelson

Aug 11, 2018, 10:35:54 AM8/11/18
On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 9:26 AM Ichrak Mansour <ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:
I found that :
image.png

But I need a version of node v8 and not v6

So what's stopping you? It's pretty trivial to change nodejs version's.

Just because we use a specific version of nodejs doesn't mean that your stuck with that version..

Just note, any "nodejs" software we pre-built for you is tied to version pre-installed.. (Cloud9, Node-RED, Bonescript)

Thus it's up to "YOU" to rebuild those applications if you change the version of nodejs..

So do what ever you want, everything is open-sourced..

Regards,

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 11, 2018, 11:21:43 AM8/11/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
So I can install node v8 on debian 9.4 iot version

Ichrak Mansour

Aug 11, 2018, 12:31:40 PM8/11/18