How to install MySQL directly on BeagleBone ?

Ichrak Mansour

Jun 26, 2018, 8:53:33 AM6/26/18
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

I would like to install directly MySQL on my BeagleBone and not MariaDB, I try : sudo apt-get install mysql-server mysql-client, but when I try: sudo mysql -u root, I get :
Welcome to the MariaDB monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MariaDB connection id is 2
Server version: 10.1.26-MariaDB-0+deb9u1 Debian 9.1

Copyright (c) 2000, 2017, Oracle, MariaDB Corporation Ab and others.

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the current input statement.

MariaDB [(none)]>

But I need to work with MySQL and not MariaDB with nodejs.

Thanks in advance.

Przemek Klosowski

Jun 26, 2018, 9:15:13 AM6/26/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 8:53 AM Ichrak Mansour <ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:

But I need to work with MySQL and not MariaDB with nodejs.
Why? MariaDB is a fork of MySQL, it should be software-compatible. What is the difference that  makes it impossible for you to use it?

Ichrak Mansour

Jun 26, 2018, 10:27:04 AM6/26/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I try to use MySQL on my application knowing that nodejs  his Backend and I don't know if it is compatible with mariaDB while I am newbie on that.

    ICHRAK Mansour
Etudiante en ingénierie Téléinformatique
Université de Sousse - ISITCOM

Robert Nelson

Jun 26, 2018, 10:30:48 AM6/26/18
to Beagle Board, Ichrak Mansour
On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 9:26 AM, Ichrak Mansour
<ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I try to use MySQL on my application knowing that nodejs his Backend and I
> don't know if it is compatible with mariaDB while I am newbie on that.

MariaDB is from the developers of MySQL after Oracle purchased MySQL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MariaDB

"
MariaDB is a community-developed fork of the MySQL relational database
management system intended to remain free under the GNU GPL.
Development is led by some of the original developers of MySQL, who
forked it due to concerns over its acquisition by Oracle
Corporation.[5] Contributors are required to share their copyright
with the MariaDB Foundation.[6]

MariaDB intends to maintain high compatibility with MySQL, ensuring a
drop-in replacement capability with library binary equivalency and
exact matching with MySQL APIs and commands.[7] It includes the XtraDB
storage engine for replacing InnoDB,[8] as well as a new storage
engine, Aria, that intends to be both a transactional and
non-transactional engine perhaps even included in future versions of
MySQL.[9]
"

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Ichrak Mansour

Jun 26, 2018, 10:35:39 AM6/26/18
to Robert Nelson, beagl...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, I'll check it out.

That means that  I can do var mysql = require("mysql"); on my express server ?

Robert Nelson

Jun 26, 2018, 10:40:39 AM6/26/18
to Ichrak Mansour, Beagle Board
On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 9:35 AM, Ichrak Mansour
<ichrakma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, I'll check it out.
>
> That means that I can do var mysql = require("mysql"); on my express server
> ?

Correct..

https://github.com/mysqljs/mysql