Running bbb without emmc memory chip (physically, unsoldered)

supe...@gmail.com

Aug 7, 2017, 5:10:55 PM8/7/17
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

Is there any way to physically extract the emmc memory chip and boot successfully the Angstrom linux distribution just/only from microSD card ?

Do you have any advice for this problem ?

Thank you in advance.

Przemek Klosowski

Aug 8, 2017, 9:23:56 AM8/8/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
are you aware that the eMMC chip is a ball-grid package? It's possible to unsolder it, of course, with skill and hot-air repair station. I am not sure if the boot sequence stops on failing to detect the eMMC presence ; I suspect it's possible to force the SD boot using the usual keypresses that work with eMMC present.

Super Dare