Adafruit Python library for BeagleBone Blue, naming conventions

Mark A. Yoder

Jul 27, 2017, 9:13:54 AM7/27/17
to BeagleBoard
Is anyone updating the Adafruit Python library[1]  for the Blue?

[2] doesn't appear to have any definitions for the Blue's connectors.

For example, GPIO1_17 appears on the Black at P9_23.  On the Blue it appears on pin 4 for the GP0 header[3].

Should this be referred to as GP0_4 since it's pin 4, or should it be GP0_2 since it's the second IO pin on the header, or maybe GP0_1 is we should start numbering with 0?

Another example, The analog in's appear on the ADC header.

Should AIN0 be referred to as AIN0, or ADC_3, or ADC_1, or ADC_0?  I can justify every choice.

My suggestion is to make it as easy as possible for the beginner and stick to the schematic and silk screen.

For example:
GP0_0    GPIO1_25
GP0_1    GPIO1_17
GP1_0    GPIO3_2
UT0_RX   UART0_RX
S1_MOSI  SPI1_MOSI

ADC0     AIN0
AIN0     AIN0  (both refer to AIN0)

What do you think?  These should also apply to BoneScript.

--Mark

Drew Fustini

Jul 27, 2017, 2:22:22 PM7/27/17
to Beagle Board
On Thu, Jul 27, 2017 at 8:13 AM, Mark A. Yoder <mark.a...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is anyone updating the Adafruit Python library[1] for the Blue?

I've not started working on that yet. But I would very happy to
review any github issues or pull requests related to Blue support.

> What do you think? These should also apply to BoneScript.

Could you please open an issue with these suggestions? If you have
time, please make a pull request with changes you think might be
needed in source/common.c.

Thanks,
Drew

Mark A. Yoder

Jul 28, 2017, 2:56:11 PM7/28/17
to BeagleBoard
Drew:
  Starting work on it now.  We'll see how far I get.

I just posted an issue on github.  Now that I know which end is pin 1 things should go much faster.

--Mark