How to clear EMMC to flash a new Image

vinith...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2020, 7:35:33 AM7/7/20
to BeagleBoard
Hi,
I would like to know how I can clear the EMMC(factory reset) before flashing a new image through sd card?
Thanks,
Vinitha

KenUnix

Jul 7, 2020, 12:09:47 PM7/7/20
to BeagleBoard
You don't have to. When you flash the eMMc it will overwrite anything there.

vinith...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2020, 1:30:57 PM7/7/20
to BeagleBoard
Ya tried that. So what’s happening is, only when I use the boot button the new image is loaded. When I remove the sd card I can still see the old image

Robert Nelson

Jul 7, 2020, 1:39:27 PM7/7/20
to Beagle Board
On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 12:30 PM <vinith...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ya tried that. So what’s happening is, only when I use the boot button the new image is loaded. When I remove the sd card I can still see the old image

is the new image a "flasher" or did you convert it to one?

https://elinux.org/Beagleboard:BeagleBoneBlack_Debian#Flashing_eMMC

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Kenneth Martin

Jul 7, 2020, 3:57:19 PM7/7/20
to Beagle Board
Is the new image a "flasher" or configured to be one?

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 1:30 PM <vinith...@gmail.com> wrote:
Ya tried that. So what’s happening is, only when I use the boot button the new image is loaded. When I remove the sd card I can still see the old image

In regards to,
Ken

vinith...@gmail.com

Jul 7, 2020, 11:29:01 PM7/7/20
to BeagleBoard
Hi,
The new image is basically a backup image taken from a working board. I used SD imager to copy the entire contents from the working board's sd card. Now i want the new board to boot from this copy.

KenUnix

Jul 8, 2020, 12:14:49 PM7/8/20
to BeagleBoard
If you can on the SD-Card open  /boot/uEnv.txt and show the LAST line.

If it starts with # then the eMMc is not being flashed To cause the eMMc to be written remove the # at the start of the line.
After making that change leave the SD-Card in and re-boot the Beaglebone.

If all is good the leds should start blinking back and fourth  "Cylon from Battlestar G..."

The unit should power off in about 10 minutes. Remove SD-Card. Re-boot and you should be running from eMMc.

Keep in mind when cloning an image to adjust your IP address settings. You can't have duplicate IP addresses.

Ken