"What Was I Thinking" and Learning How Sensors Might Work/Seth

Mala Dies

Aug 9, 2017, 9:47:22 PM8/9/17
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

I know I have bugged the community with issues pertaining to my TMP36 sensor and its technology and the BBB (and all variants "sometimes including Capes").

Here goes:

...cough.

Um, Why would I attach a male to male lead from 3.3v on the BBB to GND on the TMP36 sensor?

Easier:

BBB (3.3v) or P9_03 to TMP36 (GND) or Pin 3

I think this is my question. Please try to answer with some type of understanding for me.

Seth

P.S. I have found some more items regarding this TMP36 sensor, i.e. like why I am attaching the lead to the BBB on GND_ADC to TMP36 on Pin 1? I found the info. to the TMP36 sensor at http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/TMP35_36_37.pdf. Anyway, if you have time one day, please try to make me understand. I thought GND goes to GND with the lead for some reason.

Mala Dies

Aug 9, 2017, 9:53:25 PM8/9/17
to BeagleBoard
Hello Again,

Seth here. Um, node is not found on my version of stretch. I just tried to run a .js file on the BBB and it replied to me saying that sudo: node: is not a known command. What gives? Does anyone have an idea as to what is happening?

Seth

P.S. Should I get a new node version?

Robert Nelson

Aug 9, 2017, 10:21:43 PM8/9/17
to Beagle Board, Mala Dies
On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 8:53 PM, Mala Dies <fun...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Again,
>
> Seth here. Um, node is not found on my version of stretch. I just tried to
> run a .js file on the BBB and it replied to me saying that sudo: node: is
> not a known command. What gives? Does anyone have an idea as to what is
> happening?

"nodejs"

(in debian an older binary package had already used the binary "node" name..)

Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Mala Dies

Aug 9, 2017, 10:26:59 PM8/9/17
to BeagleBoard, fun...@gmail.com
Thank you sir.

Seth

Roberts Maria

Aug 9, 2017, 11:24:38 PM8/9/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

On Thu, 8/10/17, Mala Dies <fun...@gmail.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [beagleboard] Re: "What Was I Thinking" and Learning How Sensors Might Work/Seth
To: "BeagleBoard" <beagl...@googlegroups.com>
Cc: fun...@gmail.com
Date: Thursday, August 10, 2017, 5:26 AM

Google Groups "BeagleBoard" group.

from it, send an email to beagleboard...@googlegroups.com.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/beagleboard/feb9a799-4e5e-4012-a4af-a00d362ff9e9%40googlegroups.com.

onnationalista si a conclus un regim neostalinist caracterizat printr-o represiune politica si politieneasca rar intalnita in Europa contemporana.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Aug 9, 2017, 11:31:40 PM8/9/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, 9 Aug 2017 18:47:22 -0700 (PDT), Mala Dies
<fun...@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>...cough.
>
>Um, Why would I attach a male to male lead from 3.3v on the BBB to GND on
>the TMP36 sensor?
>
>Easier:
>
>*BBB* (3.3v) or P9_03 *to **TMP36* (GND) or Pin 3
>
>I think this is my question. Please try to answer with some type of
>understanding for me.

Since all of my crystal balls are in storage, I would have no idea...
If you are trying this connection, you must have some reason for it. You'd
have to tell us your reasons for any particular wiring.

--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlf...@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

Mala Dies

Aug 10, 2017, 4:48:41 AM8/10/17
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

Okay...

TMP36 to BBB:

Pin 3 to 3.3v

Pin 2 to P9_40 (GPIO/Analog)

Pin 1 to P9_34 (GND_ADC/Low noise GND)

I think this should help. I am making a temperature sensor tell me what the temp. is inside for now.

Seth

P.S. I appreciate you reaching out. Please let me know of what other info. I need to furnish.

Mala Dies

Aug 10, 2017, 7:37:31 AM8/10/17
to BeagleBoard, fun...@gmail.com
Hello Sir,

I cannot just run a .js file with sudo nodejs temp.js on my BBB. The issue pertains to nodejs not being installed or something. I went to the npmjs.org site and found bonescript and tried to start from there. I also tried nodejs.org to find info. on how to get it on the BBB.

Seth

P.S. I am coming up short for some reason. I did some work with what the sites have listed at https://www.npmjs.com/package/bonescript and https://nodejs.org/en/download/package-manager/#debian-and-ubuntu-based-linux-distributions. If you or if anyone else is having trouble, please give some advice.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Aug 10, 2017, 10:26:54 AM8/10/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 01:48:41 -0700 (PDT), Mala Dies
<fun...@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>Hello,
>
>Okay...
>
>TMP36 to BBB:
>
>Pin 3 to 3.3v
>
>Pin 2 to P9_40 (GPIO/Analog)
>
>Pin 1 to P9_34 (GND_ADC/Low noise GND)
>
>I think this should help. I am making a temperature sensor tell me what the
>temp. is inside for now.

You still haven't answered the real question: why did you choose THAT
set of connections?

In my library, four (out of seven) Beaglebone books and two (out of
nine) Arduino books used the TMP36 (a few others used the LM35 which has a
similar pin-out but different sensor range). I also downloaded the spec
sheet from your earlier post.

NONE of these books show anything similar to your proposed connections.

Mala Dies

Aug 10, 2017, 11:55:20 AM8/10/17
to BeagleBoard
Hello Mr. Dennis,

I am going over the book, "Programming the BeagleBone Black," (Monk 2014) and I found on page 110 a TMP36 software example with relating a P9 Header layout/diagram. I think I am connecting things correctly. I have done this example before but currently I am having trouble with the 2GB BBB and Debian Stretch.

Seth

P.S. I am trying to read a TMP36 temp. sensor to tell me Celsius and Fahrenheit on my command prompt.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Aug 11, 2017, 12:26:24 AM8/11/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, 10 Aug 2017 08:55:20 -0700 (PDT), Mala Dies
<fun...@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>I am going over the book, "Programming the BeagleBone Black," (Monk 2014)
>and I found on page 110 a TMP36 software example with relating a P9 Header
>layout/diagram. I think I am connecting things correctly. I have done this
>example before but currently I am having trouble with the 2GB BBB and
>Debian Stretch.

I suggest you look more closely then at the orientation of the TMP36 in
that diagram.

The flat side is to the left
|)
which means Pin 1 is at the top of the diagram.

Mala Dies

Aug 11, 2017, 4:00:38 PM8/11/17
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

Look at this photo in .jpeg format.

I would assume the left most pin on the TMP36 temp. sensor when facing left, away from the board on the left side of the board, would be Pin 3, right?

Seth

P.S. If you have time, please review the photo and get back to me. I have made mistakes before but I think I am correct. http://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/data-sheets/TMP35_36_37.pdf.

Mala Dies

Aug 11, 2017, 4:02:48 PM8/11/17
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

I guess I am making the flat side of the TMP36 sensor face left on the left side, i.e. the flat face is facing away from the BBB when I add the leads.

Seth

Mala Dies

Aug 11, 2017, 4:11:42 PM8/11/17
to BeagleBoard
One Last Thing,

Look at this photo. This may give some better insight.

Seth

P.S. Here it is:

Dennis Lee Bieber

Aug 11, 2017, 9:41:03 PM8/11/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 13:00:38 -0700 (PDT), Mala Dies
<fun...@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>I would assume the left most *pin* on the TMP36 temp. sensor when facing
>left, away from the board on the left side of the board, would be *Pin 3*,
>right?

Pardon? "left most ... when facing left... on the left side..." makes
no sense to me.

However, the key in the spec sheet image is "BOTTOM VIEW". The Monk
book is a TOP VIEW (well, really an oblique view looking on the flat side
from the above the sensor). At least, I presume you have the TO-92 package
and not the 8-pin DIP.

Dennis Lee Bieber

Aug 11, 2017, 9:57:22 PM8/11/17
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 11 Aug 2017 13:11:42 -0700 (PDT), Mala Dies
<fun...@gmail.com> declaimed the following:

>One Last Thing,
>
>Look at this photo. This may give some better insight.
>
>Seth
>
><https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-sHCAzYIH8rE/WY4PeE8xU9I/AAAAAAAAJ1M/rvUGFGcMU6I6PQQGmoOOKyHcOCW9EjOfQCLcBGAs/s1600/BBBTMP36.JPG>

Well, based on /this/ photo -- the breadboard appears to be wired
correctly.

Pin 1 is in B4/Green E4
Pin 2 is in B5/Orange D5
Pin 3 is in B6/Blue E6

In the Monk book, the data pin is in the fourth socket up from the
outer bottom -- but based on the highlights, your Orange is only three
sockets up.

In the book, GND is then three up and one right from the data line.
Your Blue appears to be four up and one right.

Monk has V+ in the second socket down from the outer top; I can't
identify which socket your Green is plugged into.

Mala Dies

Aug 11, 2017, 10:16:17 PM8/11/17
to BeagleBoard
Hello Mr. Dennis,

Seth here. I do not believe this stuff. The item I was viewing was from the underneath view/bottom view. Silly! I read that many times and it never clicked. Thank you. I feel completely inadequate to post after this screw up but I will again.

Seth

P.S. Thank you again for your support. Oh and I was using AIN1/P9_40 for this software instead of P9_39. I did not want to plagiarize the OpenSource info.