Debian 9.3 - BBB ver 5AC repeatedly doesn't boot on µSD card unless boot button is pushed each time.

mich....@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2018, 7:36:48 AM2/23/18
to BeagleBoard
Hello,

I installed  the following image on a BBB version 5AC:

microSD/Standalone: (stretch-iot) (All BeagleBone Variants & PocketBeagle)

bone-debian-9.3-iot-armhf-2018-02-18-4gb

Everyting is running fine (at least what I tested: node-red).

The BBB boot button was pushed at startup right at the beginning ( boot on the µSD card ).

The problem is that it has to be repeated (button pushed) after a power outage (in case of a clean shutdown (UPS) after power outage), Otherwise the BBB doesn't simply boot up. That can be a problem in case of remote installation. I don't see any warning in the wiki about this behavior

It may be a hardware problem on my rather old BBB ver 5AC. Does anybody encountered the same issue ?

Maybe an addtionnal configuration is needed ?

Any suggestion?

Michel.

PS: I also tried the following version with same result: Debian 9.3 2018-01-28 4GB SD IoT

Dennis Lee Bieber

Feb 23, 2018, 10:15:37 AM2/23/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, 23 Feb 2018 03:27:35 -0800 (PST),
mich....@gmail.com declaimed the following:

>Hello,
>
>I installed the following image on a BBB version 5AC:
>*microSD/Standalone: (stretch-iot) (All BeagleBone Variants & PocketBeagle)
>**bone-debian-9.3-iot-armhf-2018-02-18-4gb*

<SNIP>

>The problem is that it has to be repeated (button pushed) after a power
>outage (in case of a clean shutdown (UPS) after power outage), Otherwise
>the BBB doesn't simply boot up. That can be a problem in case of remote
>installation. I don't see any warning in the wiki about this behavior
>

>It may be a hardware problem on my rather old BBB ver 5AC. Does anybody
>encountered the same issue ?

More likely, it is an antique image on the eMMC.

I believe it was only about a year or so ago that images were
configured so that the eMMC boot-loader would look at and boot an installed
SD card without needing the boot button.

Second, newer images are expecting u-Boot device tree (overlay)
handling, whereas the older images put-off device tree overlay handling
until Linux had booted.

You will probably need to obtain a 2GB image (I presume the "5AC" in
your subject meant "A5C" version), verify that boots from SD card (using
the button), convert to flasher image, flash the eMMC, remove SD card and
verify unit boots from eMMC.

THEN install your 4GB SD card image and see if the board now detects
and boots from it without holding down the button.
--
Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber AF6VN
wlf...@ix.netcom.com HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

evilwulfie

Feb 23, 2018, 10:44:48 AM2/23/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Robert covered this last month  search list

Robert Nelson

Feb 23, 2018, 10:50:00 AM2/23/18
to Beagle Board, mich....@gmail.com
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 5:27 AM, <mich....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I installed the following image on a BBB version 5AC:
>
> microSD/Standalone: (stretch-iot) (All BeagleBone Variants & PocketBeagle)
>
> bone-debian-9.3-iot-armhf-2018-02-18-4gb
>
> Everyting is running fine (at least what I tested: node-red).
>
> The BBB boot button was pushed at startup right at the beginning ( boot on
> the µSD card ).
>

> The problem is that it has to be repeated (button pushed) after a power
> outage (in case of a clean shutdown (UPS) after power outage), Otherwise the
> BBB doesn't simply boot up. That can be a problem in case of remote
> installation. I don't see any warning in the wiki about this behavior

Run:

sudo /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh

Then we will know what your dealing with:

Regards

--
Robert Nelson
https://rcn-ee.com/

Robert Nelson

Feb 23, 2018, 1:16:23 PM2/23/18
to Beagle Board, Michel Gerin
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Michel Gerin <mich....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Robert,
> Thank you for your help.
> Here is the result:
>
> ~$ sudo /opt/scripts/tools/version.sh
> git:/opt/scripts/:[89f2e9309c2322c15e2bb6b55afd214313d94842]
> eeprom:[A335BNLT0A5C2713BBBK4830]
> model:[TI_AM335x_BeagleBone_Black]
> dogtag:[BeagleBoard.org Debian Image 2018-02-18]
> bootloader:[microSD-(push-button)]:[/dev/mmcblk0]:[U-Boot
> 2018.01-00002-g60ae27e116]:[location: dd MBR]

Okay, i was expecting a 2nd entry here..

For kicks try this to clear out the first 10mb of the eMMC..

sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk1 bs=1M count=10

if that doesn't solve it, do you have a serial cable to plug into j1?

i'd like to see what's up on bootup, when the boot button is not pressed..

Regards,

William Hermans

Feb 23, 2018, 1:38:49 PM2/23/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Probably an Old MLO / uboot.img on the eMMC. If the newer is flashed to the eMMC, this problem would probably go away. I've experienced this on many boards myself as / when I forget to update the eMMC.

Robert Nelson

Feb 23, 2018, 3:12:53 PM2/23/18
On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 2:05 PM, Michel Gerin <mich....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Robert
>
> You are right, it solved the problem. Why does it happen now ? I forgot to
> depress the button on the boot sequence during the first installation of the
> new Debian 9.3if I remember.
> Is it the reason, why something happened to the eMMc (begin of flashing
> process)?

eMMC is read first by the bootrom, if something is there that isn't
suppost to be their it can get stuck..

Michel Gerin

Feb 23, 2018, 5:50:58 PM2/23/18
to Robert Nelson, Beagle Board