Recommended Microphone

Hans Troemel

Aug 29, 2011, 4:28:43 PM8/29/11
to Beagle Board
We are interested in the BeagleBoard-xM system. Can we utilize the
audio input for a microphone? Do you have a recommendation for a
microphone for this board?

Thanks,

Hans Troemel
Principal Electrical Engineer
nfuzion, Inc.
134 Main Street
LaGrange, GA 30240
Office: 678-884-0303 ext 212
Cell: 678-799-4173
Fax: 208-723-4220
ha...@nfuzion.com
www.nfuzion.com

Unlisted

May 16, 2018, 10:44:54 AM5/16/18
to BeagleBoard
Just wondering if you found a microphone that would work with the beagleboard system? Starting to look at the pocketbeagle for the same.

Jason Kridner

May 17, 2018, 7:17:30 PM5/17/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
There are lots of them that work. Just look for one that supports Linux.

Stuart Longland

May 17, 2018, 7:38:45 PM5/17/18
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
On 17/05/18 00:44, Unlisted wrote:
> Just wondering if you found a microphone that would work with the
> beagleboard system? Starting to look at the pocketbeagle for the same.

Depends on what your objectives are…

- Ease of connectivity? Buy just about any USB microphone. Wire it
up to the USB pins on the GPIO header (for PocketBeagle) or use one
of the existing sockets (BeagleBoard/BeagleBone). Let ALSA's USB
audio device deal with the software stuff.

- Audio fidelity? You'll want a I²S sound device to interface to the
BeagleBoard/PocketBeagle that is supported by the ALSA SoC audio
framework. Be prepared to build your own kernel and device tree
overlays. Some microphone modules embed the I²S interface directly.

- Cost? Consider using one of the analogue inputs from the on-board
ADC with an electret capsule. Once again, be prepared to do some code
hacking as you'll need to write a driver to read from the ADC and pump
that into the ALSA framework (either through userspace or via a kernel
driver).
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...