pip : problem confirming the ssl certificate

JacquesBBB

May 12, 2013, 11:14:05 AM5/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

I have now installed pip using easy_install

root@beaglebone:~# pip --version
pip 1.3.1 from /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip-1.3.1-py2.7.egg (python 2.7)

I am trying to use pip to install a new package that is not in the angstrom distrib.
but get this error :

Downloading/unpacking configobj
  Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/configobj/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: <urlopen error [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed>

My install is the latest (3.8.12)  with
root@beaglebone:~# python -c "import ssl; print ssl.OPENSSL_VERSION"
OpenSSL 1.0.0j 10 May 2012

What can I do ?

Thanks

Jacques

Jason Stapels

May 12, 2013, 12:24:41 PM5/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
Do you have the ca-certificates package installed?

JacquesBBB

May 12, 2013, 12:38:00 PM5/12/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

It seems so :

root@beaglebone:~# opkg install ca-certificates
Package ca-certificates (20130119-r0.0) installed in root is up to date.

JacquesBBB

May 14, 2013, 3:33:54 AM5/14/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
ssl certificate problem still not solved.

My configuration is brand new from the latest release.

root@beaglebone:~# cat /proc/version

Linux version 3.8.13 (koen@rrMBP) (gcc version 4.7.3 20130205 (prerelease) (Linaro GCC 4.7-2013.02-01) ) #1 SMP Mon May 13 08:43:47 CEST 2013

I have pip installed with easy_install

root@beaglebone:~# pip --version

pip 1.3.1 from /usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pip-1.3.1-py2.7.egg (python 2.7)

I have ca-certificates

root@beaglebone:~#  opkg install ca-certificates

Package ca-certificates (20130119-r0.0) installed in root is up to date.

And still I have problems with ssl certificates

root@beaglebone:~# pip install configobj

Downloading/unpacking configobj

  Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/configobj/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: <urlopen error [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed>

Thanks for any help on this matter.

Jacques

Venkat Bommakanti

May 14, 2013, 12:17:04 PM5/14/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

  Could not fetch URL https://pypi.python.org/simple/configobj/: There was a problem confirming the ssl certificate: <urlopen error [Errno 1] _ssl.c:504: error:14090086:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_SERVER_CERTIFICATE:certificate verify failed>

A google search on the error msg took me to:
  http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10667960/python-requests-throwing-up-sslerror
whiere the thread seems to imply that it is a result of encountering an "untrusted" cert. It suggests an "ignore" option in code. May want to try that...

/venkat

JacquesBBB

May 15, 2013, 8:04:19 AM5/15/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the suggestion. I did not try it, as I am not that expert, but on

They have documented the same problem on various systems with pip 1.3.1

The suggestion was  to downgrade pip with
easy_install pip==1.2.1
This fixed also the problem for me on the BBB.
Jacques

bdha...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2013, 5:58:25 PM9/5/13
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
The problem is the internal clock in the BBB.

If you run
ntpdate -b -s -u pool.ntp.org
you won't get the ssl error. However, you will have to do this every time you want to use pip.

m34t...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2014, 3:35:34 AM8/16/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, bdha...@gmail.com
This solves the problem, Thanks!!

prat...@gmail.com

Nov 26, 2014, 12:21:29 PM11/26/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com, bdha...@gmail.com

Thanks man, this worked perfectly for me

lai...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2014, 6:52:00 AM12/3/14
to beagl...@googlegroups.com
I followed the instruction from http://eric.lubow.org/2011/security/fixing-centos-root-certificate-authority-issues/ and solved the problem.

tomasc...@gmail.com

Apr 6, 2018, 7:33:00 PM4/6/18
to BeagleBoard
after a few years this worked for me on a beagleboneblack running debian 9.3, though ntp is blocked on our network, htpdate does the job ,
thanks