error while running ./gce-install.sh -m ${HOST}

MUHAMMAD AHSAN

Aug 20, 2021, 5:16:54 AM8/20/21
to BBR Development

hi there,

I am getting the following error (show in the attachment )...after running
./gce-install.sh -m  192.168.180.132    on Ubuntu linux virtual machine

any help will be appreciated.

thanks.
Ahsan
Screenshot 2021-08-20 141253.png

Neal Cardwell

Aug 20, 2021, 10:07:33 AM8/20/21
to MUHAMMAD AHSAN, BBR Development
Thanks for the report.

There seems to be a known issue related to this in some versions of upstream Linux:

(1) Can you please share exactly how you constructed the git branch you are using, including the URL cloned/fetched, and any other git operations performed? The pathname of your directory seems to include 5.13.12, but the v2alpha release is based on 5.10, so it seems you have perhaps attempted to rebase the BBRv2 alpha code onto some newer kernel tree, which has the problem you are reporting?

(2) Can you please share the output of:
git describe  # to document git SHA1
git log --oneline  | head -50 # to see what your branch  looks like
cat /etc/lsb-release  # to document Ubuntu release version (looks like Ubuntu?)
gcc --version  # to document compiler version

thanks,
neal

Neal Cardwell

Aug 21, 2021, 3:53:21 PM8/21/21
to muhamm...@umt.edu.pk, BBR Development
Hi,

Thanks for the details! I was able to reproduce the build problem you described on Ubuntu 21.04.

Indeed, as described here:

...this seems to be an incompatibility between some versions of the binutils package (like the one used by Ubuntu 21.04) and some versions of upstream Linux kernels.

I have rebased the TCP BBR v2alpha branch on github on top of the latest stable release, Linux 5.13.12, and verified that this seems to fix the build issue on Ubuntu  21.04.

Can you please try re-fetching the BBR v2alpha code (e.g., using the recipe in the BBR v2alpha README), and re-running the ./gce-install.sh script?

thanks,
neal

On Fri, Aug 20, 2021 at 10:25 AM Muhammad Ahsan <muhamm...@umt.edu.pk> wrote:

Dear Neal,

Below is the information

(1) Can you please share exactly how you constructed the git branch you are using, including the URL cloned/fetched, and any other git operations performed? The pathname of your directory seems to include 5.13.12, but the v2alpha release is based on 5.10, so it seems you have perhaps attempted to rebase the BBRv2 alpha code onto some newer kernel tree, which has the problem you are reporting?

I have linux kernel  5.13.12

Outside its directory  i.e in  /usr/src      I executed  “ git clone -o google-bbr -b v2alpha  https://github.com/google/bbr.git “  this command  and it download many files.

I then cd bbr  and tried to execute ./gce-install.sh -m 192.168.180.132   ( this IP is given to me my linux ubuntu VM running in windows 10)

After that I got the error I shared in the snapshot !

Basically I want to have bbr2 in my linux distribution , so I can tweak , compile and test .

(2) Can you please share the output of:

git describe  # to document git SHA1

v2alpha-2021-07-07

git log --oneline  | head -50 # to see what your branch  looks like

output attached as txt file pl.

cat /etc/lsb-release  # to document Ubuntu release version (looks like Ubuntu?)

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu

DISTRIB_RELEASE=21.04

DISTRIB_CODENAME=hirsute

DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 21.04"

gcc --version  # to document compiler version

gcc (Ubuntu 10.3.0-1ubuntu1) 10.3.0

This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.  There is NO

thanks,

Ahsan