Project with several files open and visible?

Jan Erik Moström

Oct 11, 2019, 4:56:24 AM10/11/19
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying out a new way of working with BBEdit, that is I'm trying out
the project feature (in my work I usually have text files open that are
not related to each other, this autumn is a bit different).

The Project feature is nice and work well for what I'm doing, but can I
view two files at the same time? (Assuming that I have the editor pane
visible) I can of course open them in new windows but I imagined myself
doing something like this:

+ Open the project
+ Click the "Full screen" button
+ Divide the editor pane in three parts
+ Open three files in these parts

This would mean that on my desktop monitor I would see the file listing
and three files at the same time. The only way I've come up with doing
something like this is to

+ Open the project window with the editor pane visible
+ Open a file
+ Go full screen
+ Close the editor pane and let the file move to a new window
+ Open new files and move them to separate windows
+ Arrange the windows so this kind of line up

While this work, kind of, it's not very elegant and I assume that I'm
missing some way of doing what I want to do. I didn't see anything
obvious in the manual and I can't find anything in the menus. So what am
I missing?

= jem

Holger Bartel

Oct 11, 2019, 9:21:22 AM10/11/19
to BBEdit Talk
I don’t think this is possible, but I might be wrong. One thing that might help is to use split view. Hold/hover the green dot of the window and select left or right, yet I’m not sure if this allows you to select a single document from the same project.

Cheers,
Holger

--
This is the BBEdit Talk public discussion group. If you have a feature request or need technical support, please email
"sup...@barebones.com" rather than posting to the group.

DavidWeinberger

Oct 12, 2019, 9:36:30 AM10/12/19
to BBEdit Talk
I recognize that I run a strong risk of AFSBAD ("asking for something BBedit already does"), but I would love to be able to put a different file into a split window: file #1 in one split and file #2 in the other.

Tiling windows is fine, but it puts two sidebars on screen, taking up too much space, especially on a laptop. Of course, I can close the sidebars, but having a different file in each split of a window not only saves a few keystrokes, it also feels very natural, conforming to the workflow of those of us who frequently work on two related files at once.

An option to hide the sidebars when tiling would help, although then I'd also want the sidebars auto-restored after the tiling ends.

In short, I am a bottomless pit of wants.

-- David W.

Holger