how to select a word

Vlad Ghitulescu

Mar 5, 2020, 7:06:11 AM3/5/20
to BBEdit Talk

Hey!

Is there a keyboard shortcut to select the word where the cursor is in?

I know I could do

  • ALT - left arrow: to move the cursor at the beginning of the word and then
  • ALT - Shift - right arrow: to select the whole word

and I could even assign those two to a keyboard shortcut via Keyboard Maestro… but I imagine BBEdit has already something like this, right?

Thanks!

Regards,
Vlad

Jean-Christophe Helary

Mar 5, 2020, 8:54:04 AM3/5/20
to bbe...@googlegroups.com

> On Mar 5, 2020, at 20:05, Vlad Ghitulescu <Vl...@Ghitulescu.de> wrote:
>
> Hey!
>
> Is there a keyboard shortcut to select the word where the cursor is in?

You can set a shortcut to Edit > Select > Word in Preferences > Menus and Shortcuts

Jean-Christophe Helary

Vlad Ghitulescu

Mar 5, 2020, 9:04:03 AM3/5/20
to bbe...@googlegroups.com

On 5 Mar 2020, at 14:53, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

>> On Mar 5, 2020, at 20:05, Vlad Ghitulescu <Vl...@Ghitulescu.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hey!
>>
>> Is there a keyboard shortcut to select the word where the cursor is
>> in?
>
> You can set a shortcut to Edit > Select > Word in Preferences > Menus
> and Shortcuts

There it is!

Thanks Jean-Christophe!

Jean-Christophe Helary

Mar 5, 2020, 9:22:44 AM3/5/20
to bbe...@googlegroups.com
It is actually hard to know all the possible functions, so what I do to discover them is hit Shift+Command+/ to enter the Help field and then type strings that are related to the function I'm looking for.

In this case I entered Select and found the Select > Word item in the Edit menu. I checked that it was the tool that you requested and then checked that it was available as a shortcut setable function in Preferences.

Vlad Ghitulescu

Mar 5, 2020, 11:09:45 AM3/5/20
to bbe...@googlegroups.com

On 5 Mar 2020, at 15:22, Jean-Christophe Helary wrote:

>>> You can set a shortcut to Edit > Select > Word in Preferences >
>>> Menus and Shortcuts
>>
>> There it is!
>>
>> Thanks Jean-Christophe!
>
> It is actually hard to know all the possible functions,

That's me all the time! :-)

> so what I do to discover them is hit Shift+Command+/ to enter the Help
> field and then type strings that are related to the function I'm
> looking for.

Yes, it's actually right under my nose :-/

> In this case I entered Select and found the Select > Word item in the
> Edit menu. I checked that it was the tool that you requested and then
> checked that it was available as a shortcut setable function in
> Preferences.

Yes, I checked this as you suggest and it's there… but then again,
there are some things that I couldn't find, like my other 3 questions
from today (How to jump to the matching bracket, How to choose a color
scheme to a specific language and Hot to jump to a CSS-class from the
HTML-file).

Thanks again!

> Jean-Christophe Helary
> http://mac4translators.blogspot.com @brandelune