Bzlmod for remote_coverage_tools

Michael Fitzner

Jun 15, 2022, 8:55:32 AM6/15/22
to bazel-dev
We would like to use Bzlmod to override the internal dependencies https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/blob/5.0.0/distdir_deps.bzl#L268.

Most of the dependencies are already available in the Bzlmod central registry, but we couldn't find remote_coverage_tools as a module or via an extension of a module. Does anyone know if there is a plan to bring it to the central registry?

Michael Fitzner

Jun 15, 2022, 8:55:32 AM6/15/22
to bazel-dev
We would like to override the internal dependencies https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/blob/41feb616ae18e21fdba3868e4c298b0b83012f10/distdir_deps.bzl#L268 by Bzlmod dependencies.

Most of the dependencies are already available as Bzlmod modules but for the remote_coverage_tools we couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if there is a plan to bring this also to the central registry (as module or an extension of a module)?

Lukács T. Berki

Jun 15, 2022, 8:56:05 AM6/15/22
to Michael Fitzner, bazel-dev, Charles Mita, Xudong Yang
On Wed, Jun 15, 2022 at 2:55 PM Michael Fitzner <michael...@bmw.de> wrote:
We would like to use Bzlmod to override the internal dependencies https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/blob/5.0.0/distdir_deps.bzl#L268.

Most of the dependencies are already available in the Bzlmod central registry, but we couldn't find remote_coverage_tools as a module or via an extension of a module. Does anyone know if there is a plan to bring it to the central registry?

Lukács T. Berki | Software Engineer | lbe...@google.com |

Google Germany GmbH | Erika-Mann-Str. 33  | 80636 München | Germany | Geschäftsführer: Paul Manicle, Halimah DeLaine Prado | Registergericht und -nummer: Hamburg, HRB 86891

Xudong Yang

Jun 15, 2022, 9:03:01 AM6/15/22
to Lukács T. Berki, Michael Fitzner, bazel-dev, Charles Mita, Xudong Yang
You can use the module file of the built-in module "bazel_tools" as reference: https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/blob/dd57d4139ca2f10932fd6067c027be7744a1b083/src/MODULE.tools#L36

In there, remote_coverage_tools is simply brought in as an http_archive. I don't know if it would be a good idea to turn it into a module, since it's built from Bazel source and doesn't exactly have a release schedule. Charles can add more context.

Michael Fitzner

Jun 15, 2022, 9:50:06 AM6/15/22
to bazel-dev
We would like to use it in an air gapped environment (internal registry with modules that use an internal caching server). For that it would be needed to patch the URLs of the modules. For internal modules that would not be possible I think without an own build Bazel binary.