Flip incompatible_disallow_empty_glob in Bazel 6.0?

Xavier Bonaventura

Aug 24, 2022, 11:58:04 AM8/24/22
to bazel-dev
As announced in https://groups.google.com/g/bazel-dev/c/03kwRI5SkBU, the Bazel 6.0 cut will be soon.
I have several PRs to try to make progress on flipping the flag to not allow empty globs without being explicit.

However, I did not get much feedback on them. I would like to know what is the position of the Bazel team regarding flipping this flag. Is there interest on doing so?

I understand that some people might want to do an exhaustive review on every place where allow_empty = True is added, but in practice this seems very hard.
Not flipping this by default, introduce the possibility that any user creates an empty glob without being aware.
I am also aware that other dependencies might be affected by this change but the first step would be to make the Bazel code base compliant.

If we miss this window we will have to wait almost one year in order to have it flipped in a release.

I am aware that there might be a lot of work going on but I would like to make sure that if we do not flip it, is a conscious decision and not something that we forget.

Thanks,

Xavi

Tony Aiuto

Aug 24, 2022, 3:29:48 PM8/24/22
to Xavier Bonaventura, bazel-dev
Those PRs look mostly good with a quick glance.
In general I support flipping the flag for bazel 6, because it has been lingering far too long.

Yun: Yesterday in the rules SIG we discussed having a .bazelrc for the Bazel CI which sets all the flags we want to flip for the next release. This would be a good candidate for that.

Xavier Bonaventura

Aug 24, 2022, 4:34:57 PM8/24/22
to bazel-dev
Perfect, knowing that there is interest I rebased and run the tests again.
I updated in https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/pull/15327 the current status of what I know that needs to be done.
Unfortunately it seems that I missed a changed needed in upb but I already created a PR for it.

Xavier Bonaventura

Sep 12, 2022, 6:45:16 AM9/12/22
to bazel-dev
upb already removed the empty glob https://github.com/protocolbuffers/upb/pull/745
Unfortunately the bump of upb it is not so easy, the latest upb requires some changes in protobuf dependency that are not present in any current protobuf release, only on the main branch.

Tony: Regarding https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/pull/15374, do you know who could we ping? Not a lot was going on in this PR and I do not know how to proceed.

Tony Aiuto

Sep 12, 2022, 10:33:03 AM9/12/22
to Xavier Bonaventura, Alex Humesky, Jingwen Chen, bazel-dev
On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 6:45 AM Xavier Bonaventura <xavibon...@gmail.com> wrote:
upb already removed the empty glob https://github.com/protocolbuffers/upb/pull/745
Unfortunately the bump of upb it is not so easy, the latest upb requires some changes in protobuf dependency that are not present in any current protobuf release, only on the main branch.

Tony: Regarding https://github.com/bazelbuild/bazel/pull/15374, do you know who could we ping? Not a lot was going on in this PR and I do not know how to proceed.

Alex and/or Jin are the ones who should give an approve on this.

Xavier Bonaventura

Sep 28, 2022, 9:08:32 AM9/28/22
to bazel-dev
Any chance that someone else reviews it? I did not get any feedback yet.