Kapton tape prep?

Chris Fulmer

Jul 13, 2019, 5:05:08 PM7/13/19
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
I normally use hair spray on glass, but wanted the lower maintenance of kapton tape on my larger printer.  When I was using the techshop's replicator duel it just needed a wipe down with acetone occasionally.  What have people done to prep kapton tape after applying it the bed?  Adding a coating like hair spray defeats the purpose of using the tape.  If sanding what grit? Chemical treatment?

Chris Fulmer

Ken Snyder

Jul 13, 2019, 8:03:07 PM7/13/19
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Chris,

When I used it many years ago, I would just clean it with alcohol.  I only used it with ABS.  You don't want it to stick too good because of its fragile nature.  Why the interest in Kapton?  Are you having trouble getting prints to stick to your larger printbed?  I use borosilicate with hairspray on a heated bed without problems.  I don't print ABS anymore, so I can't speak to that.  I've long since switch to PETG.  Maybe you just need to increase the heat on your printbed.

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 2:05 PM Chris Fulmer <caf...@gmail.com> wrote:
I normally use hair spray on glass, but wanted the lower maintenance of kapton tape on my larger printer.  When I was using the techshop's replicator duel it just needed a wipe down with acetone occasionally.  What have people done to prep kapton tape after applying it the bed?  Adding a coating like hair spray defeats the purpose of using the tape.  If sanding what grit? Chemical treatment?

Chris Fulmer

Chris Fulmer

Jul 13, 2019, 8:17:29 PM7/13/19
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Ken
I will try higher temp on the print bed.  Do you remember what temp you used for abs?  Partially people going to the pei sheets, and other than applying the kapton it was no problem for me.  And wiping it down with a solvent verses removing the bed to clean it and re-coat it is much easier.

Jon Pannell

Jul 13, 2019, 8:28:09 PM7/13/19
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
I only use kapton tape with ABS and clean every once in a while with acetone. I have found about 110C to be my target temp.

-Jon