Thermistor?

Chris Fulmer

Nov 3, 2019, 3:54:28 PM11/3/19
to Bay Area RepRap
In everyones experience do I most likely have a problem with Thermistor, connection, or wiring?  Printer has worked well in the past. Has E3D hotend, Rigidbot control board.

Symptoms:
Reads much higher Temperature than actual(210C finger able to be held on the nozzle)
The nozzle temperature oscillating more than 5 degrees(used to do +/-1 degree)

The temperature oscillating is probably how low of a temperature it is trying to maintain.

Chris
Solidoodle, RigidBot, Printrbot

Ken Snyder

Nov 3, 2019, 4:40:50 PM11/3/19
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Sounds like a bad connection.  If you need a new thermistor, I have several.  I would just put a new one in with new wiring.  If you're going to take it apart to test, you might as well just replace it.

Bill Seiler

Nov 4, 2019, 12:28:37 PM11/4/19
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
My first check would be all the connections.

Jon Pannell

Nov 4, 2019, 1:54:52 PM11/4/19
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com
Reading a high temperature suggests a low resistance connection. I would check for shorts along the wires.

Chris Fulmer

Nov 5, 2019, 9:16:20 PM11/5/19
to Bay Area RepRap
Thanks for the help.  Well it was the wiring for the themistor.  The insulation had worn through and some of the wire.  l got it replaced, but now I think I made adjustments because of what it was causing.  Now to fix what I messed with before I realized I had a problem.

Chris
Solidoodle, RigidBot, Printrbot

Sherif Eid

Nov 5, 2019, 10:05:10 PM11/5/19
to bay-are...@googlegroups.com

Sometimes this problem can happen due to ground shift, if a lot of current is passing through on board transistors (you would see a difference between temperature readings when the bed heat is on or off)

best regards,
Sherif