Help request on Volumes retention

Franz Bertin

Nov 7, 2023, 6:53:07 AM11/7/23
to bareos-users
Hi

I'm absolutely new with Bareos 22.1.1 and I need some help about "Volumes retention".

It seems that my configration is not taken into account.

In Pool directory, I've createda file Disi_Full.conf with
Pool {
  Name = Disi_Full
  Pool Type = Backup
  Recycle = yes                       # Bareos can automatically recycle Volumes
  AutoPrune = yes                     # Prune expired volumes
  Volume Retention = 365 days          # How long should the Full Backups be kept? (#06)
  Maximum Volume Bytes = 70G          # Limit Volume size to something reasonable
  Maximum Volumes = 800               # Limit number of Volumes in Pool
  Label Format = "Disi_Full_"         # Volumes will be labeled "disiFull-<volume-id>"
  Storage = Disi_Storage_Full
  Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
  Action On Purge = Truncate
}

I've reloaded, restarted the server... but the number of volumes stay stucked at approx. 250 (it means I have 250 files Disi_Full_xxx)

and then I launch a new backup,
for example this morning, before backup, I had

  -rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos 70G 21 sept. 06:06 Disi_Full_0230

and at the end of the backup I have

-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos 1.9G Nov  7 11:31 Disi_Full_0230

=> It means that file Disi_Full_0230 has been "recycled" after less than 2 monthes

Why ? How can I check my configuration ?

Thx for help

Miguel Santos

Nov 7, 2023, 7:41:19 AM11/7/23
to bareos-users
You have to update the Pool in bareos (not only the config file).

* Go into bconsole
* Type ''update"
* Pool from resource
* Select the pool.

You will see now the summary of the pool with the updated numvols.

Good luck.

Franz Bertin

Nov 7, 2023, 8:53:44 AM11/7/23
to bareos-users
Hi Miguel
Thx for your answare. I've just tried and a "recent" volume has been reused again

before, I had
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos 70G 21 sept. 06:31 Disi_Full_0027
and now
-rw-r----- 1 bareos bareos 64G Nov  7 14:30 Disi_Full_0027

So the problem doesn't seem to be resolved.

I also tried bconsole / update / 2 Volume retention Period / 10: Disi_Full

Enter the volume name or MediaId of the volume prefixed with an asterisk (*).
Disi_Full_00271" or "*42": Disi_Full_0027
Updating Volume "Disi_Full_0027"
Current retention period is: 1 month 1 day

And I do not understand this "1 month 1 day" . Where does it come from ?

An other idea ?