Always incremental / Consolidation

sim....@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2020, 9:11:52 AM6/24/20
to bareos-users

Hello

I'm trying to set up always incremental jobs.
The storage target is ceph, so one big storage target.
I have read many guides and believe I did the right configuration, just some timing problems.
When a consolidation Job runs, it starts a new one with the level "VirtualFull", that's correct, isn't it?

The other question is, how to efficiently eliminate physically used volume storage, not used in bareos?
A "du -skh" in the cephfs tells me, there is 3.2TB storage used, but in the job list, the full Consolidated job is 1.06 TB and the other incrementlas are like 700GB, so where are those 1.5TB from?

[root@testnode1 ~]# ls -lah /cephfs/
total 3.2T
drwxrwxrwx   4 root       root         21 Jun 24 01:00 .
dr-xr-xr-x. 18 root       root        258 Jun 17 10:04 ..
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 11 16:04 AI-Consolidated-0001
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 11 17:50 AI-Consolidated-0002
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 11 19:20 AI-Consolidated-0003
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 11 20:35 AI-Consolidated-0004
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     176G Jun 11 21:44 AI-Consolidated-0005
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 23 16:18 AI-Consolidated-0013
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 23 18:00 AI-Consolidated-0014
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 23 19:16 AI-Consolidated-0015
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 23 20:34 AI-Consolidated-0016
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 23 21:52 AI-Consolidated-0017
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos      49G Jun 23 22:12 AI-Consolidated-0018
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 15 11:25 AI-Incremental-0007
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 15 13:04 AI-Incremental-0008
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 19 00:27 AI-Incremental-0009
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 20 01:22 AI-Incremental-0010
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 21 00:33 AI-Incremental-0011
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos     200G Jun 24 01:00 AI-Incremental-0012
-rw-r-----   1 bareos     bareos      27G Jun 24 01:25 AI-Incremental-0019

Is there a way to view this efficiently, or do I have to search my way from job to job?

Thanks in advance
Simon

Brock Palen

Jun 25, 2020, 10:34:37 AM6/25/20
to sim....@gmail.com, bareos-users
What is the status of those volumes?

list volume pool=AI-Consolidated

If the status is Purged, those volumes have not been recycled. If you want to free the space back up before Bareos re-uses them you can truncate them

truncate volstatus=Purged pool=AI-Consolidated yes

That will set the volumes back to size zero. Bareos tries to preserve data. So even if the file and job records have been purged from the catalog it leaves the data so in a pinch you can always use bextract / bls to get back data from an old volume. This is more a hold over from tape where you won’t overwrite the data till you need the capacity.

If the volumes are not purged look at what jobs are left on them, and check your prune, incrmental timeouts/counts in settings

list jobs volume=AI-Consolidated-0001

Brock Palen
1 (989) 277-6075
bro...@mlds-networks.com
www.mlds-networks.com
Websites, Linux, Hosting, Joomla, Consulting

sim....@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2020, 4:04:49 AM6/26/20
to bareos-users
Hello,

First of all, thanks for the commands, those helped me much and I think I should use the bconsole more often instead of the GUI.
I think I know what the problem is. I had a long-term job at the beginning and somehow this is where my storage got eaten up.
There are consolidated jobs, which are not touched since 15 days and list "jobs volume=AI-Consolidated-0001" returns nothing.
I will clean them up manually.

Our goal was to do always incremental backups every 7 days, but with monthly backups for three months.
Until now, we had a script which writes hardlinks everywhere it can, so there every backup was a full backup and even the 3 month old was in the incremental chain.
This will save huge ammounts of space.
Is this also possible with bareos?

For illustration purpose:

Thanks in Advance,

Simon

sim....@gmail.com

Jun 26, 2020, 4:10:41 AM6/26/20
to bareos-users
I can't see the image, this would be the link to imgur:
https://imgur.com/a/hxfl3n4

And another try to include it:
Diagram_Backup_Strategy_old.png

Brock Palen

Jun 26, 2020, 9:01:25 AM6/26/20
to sim....@gmail.com, bareos-users
I can’t help with the hard-links, basefiles (never used that feature) or keeping monthly's while also doing an AI scheme.

The issue of unpurged volumes that have no jobs is why I have the script I shared. I highly recomend you do not delete volumes but use prune volume=<volume> yes

Which will force Bareos to review the state of the volume and then ether delete (have to delete both the catalog and the file on the filesystem) or truncate volstatus=Purged to free the space and make the volume ready for reuse when a new volume is needed.