Always Incremental to Weekly Rotation Tape

Alexander Horner

Dec 23, 2023, 6:12:16 PM12/23/23
to bareos-users
Hi there,

I have been reading https://docs.bareos.org/TasksAndConcepts/AlwaysIncrementalBackupScheme.html which makes sense in the context of a disk backed pool, but I am curious how this might be implemented alongside https://docs.bareos.org/TasksAndConcepts/UsingTapeDrivesWithoutAutochanger.html#daily-tape-rotation in a weekly context.

I would like to trigger jobs entirely manually, as I only have one drive and it is used by other software too (Proxmox Backup Server [PBS] for my Proxmox hosts)

I would like to have two pools which consist of one or more LTO tape volumes. We'll call these RotationA and RotationB. I also would like a third pool which is a disk backed pool.

I'd like to take a full backup of each of my machines, and then forever after do incremental backups of these machines which will be stored on the disk backed pool for the 2nd copy in a 3-2-1 backup scheme.

After these incremental backups to the disk backed pool, for the 3rd copy in a 3-2-1 backup scheme, I would like to append the incrementals to the RotationA or RotationB tape backed pools. I'll treat these pools as weekly pools, where one of the two pools is always offsite. Every week, I swap which pool is offsite and then append any incremental backups which are missing to the pool I have onsite.

I have already implemented this exact setup with PBS, however PBS does not seem suitable for backing up Windows and Linux hosts in addition to Proxmox hosts, hence the desire to use Bareos.

Thanks,

Alex