Bareos high availability

Chanaka Madushan

Jun 20, 2017, 1:47:27 AM6/20/17
to bareos-users
Hi,

I got a requirement for install bareos as a high available cluster on CentOS with PostgreSQL database. But in this case I have limited to two servers + a shared storage (may be a SAN or a NAS). So I have to install all bareos-fd, bareos-sd and bareos-dir on these two servers as high available services.

I hope to make PostgreSQL high availability with transaction log shipping.

But I donot have an idea to make bareos services high available.

Is there anyone who has deployed a high available cluster for bareos?

John Goutbeck

Jun 3, 2020, 11:05:01 AM6/3/20
to bareos-users
Hello;

I to have this requirement to have Bareos 19.2 HA on my cluster.  Does Anybody have a write up on this subject?

My cluster is SLES 15 SP1 + HA, DRBD storage
I have 1 small DRBD resourse (100GB) for the postgresql and another DRBD resource (13TB) for the Bareos storage

The idea is to have the DRBD storage, Postgresql & Bareos migrate/failover to another node.

Have a good day.

Oleg Volkov

Jun 5, 2020, 3:00:22 AM6/5/20
to bareos-users
I do not see any problem. It is just a service.
Make postgres HA, make /etc/bareos and  /var/lib/bareos be on shared disk, make VIP and colocate it with bareos services.

Never tried this with bareos, but made a lot of clusters - there should be no problem.
Just follow any active-standby scenario.

Spadajspadaj

Jun 5, 2020, 6:32:40 AM6/5/20
to bareos...@googlegroups.com

I would be, however, cautious about possible scenarios where a node breaks and fails over to the other server - for example - in the middle of a backup job. Such scenarios would need some testing so you know what to expect and how to handle such situation.

Oleg Volkov

Jun 5, 2020, 8:48:00 AM6/5/20
to bareos-users
Jobs will be obviously aborted and failed.
Then you have to care about them manually as usual for failed job.

K.O.

On Tuesday, June 20, 2017 at 8:47:27 AM UTC+3, Chanaka Madushan wrote:
Hi,

I got a requirement for install bareos as a high available cluster on CentOS with PostgreSQL database. But in this case I have limited to two servers + a shared storage (may be a SAN or a NAS). So I have to install all bareos-fd, bareos-sd and bareos-dir on these two servers as high available services.

I hope to make PostgreSQL high availability with transaction log shipping.

But I donot have an idea to make bareos services high available.

Is there anyone who has deployed a high available cluster for bareos?

Spadajspadaj

Jun 5, 2020, 10:00:10 AM6/5/20
to bareos...@googlegroups.com

Probably. That's why I'd probably prefer some duplicated, but not necessarily HA setup. I'm always a bit suspicious towards HA-clustering non-HA-capable solutions.

But YMMV

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bareos-users/fead0ad8-344d-4a1f-8eb1-84affc638961o%40googlegroups.com.

John Goutbeck

Jun 6, 2020, 5:25:31 PM6/6/20
to Oleg Volkov, bareos-users
Hello Oleg;

Thank you for this.  It should be this simple to HA a solution.

May time we tend to overthink the issue and complicate the solution.

Yes the will be issues upon a failover, but that is to be expected.  Just deal with the issue and carry on.

Have a good day.

John Goutbeck

Jun 11, 2020, 4:23:01 PM6/11/20
to Oleg Volkov, bareos-users
So I can HA the postgresql (on a drbd volume) ( postgresql block device) on my SLES 15 HA KVM cluster.  Postgresql has a ocf:heartbeat resource definition file.

Soft link the /etc/bareos and the /etc/bareos-webui folders to the postgresql drbd block device, so they follow the drbd primary resource on either SLES HA host.

Now on to HA Bareos.  I do not see a ocf:heartbeat that I can use to stop/start the 3 bareos service.  Can anybody offer any help on how to HA resource the bareos dir/fd/sd?

Have a good day

Oleg Volkov

Jun 13, 2020, 4:58:19 AM6/13/20
to bareos-users
Once you on SLES15, this command could help you to find all bareos systemd services on server:
# crm configure ra list systemd
Also, you can use HAWK and configure it using wizards. Look for services in "systemd" section.