LTO Tape migration

Guy Foetz

Nov 22, 2023, 7:30:54 AM11/22/23
to bareos-users
Hi,

we currently have several archive LTO6 Tapes and we want to migrate them to LTO9 Tapes, what is the best way to perform this migration?

Best Regards,
Guy

Miguel Santos

Nov 22, 2023, 7:34:55 AM11/22/23
to bareos-users
Not sure what specifically your specific needs are and your constraints, but I would just create migration jobs from the old pool (with the LTO6 tapes), to new a new pool (with LTO9 tapes).

Good luck.

Guy Foetz

Nov 22, 2023, 8:50:57 AM11/22/23
to bareos-users
Hi,

I thought about this too, at the moment we do not have different pools for different LTO generations.

Is there a possibility to simply copy the tapes without going over bareos? Or would bareos not recognize the tapes anymore?

Regards,
Guy

Bruno Friedmann (bruno-at-bareos)

Nov 22, 2023, 10:55:31 AM11/22/23
to bareos-users
copying for tape to tape is somewhat what bcopy can do, but then yes new volume will not be known by bareos
You're safer way to using migration job.

Guy Foetz

Nov 23, 2023, 9:43:07 AM11/23/23
to bareos-users
Hi,

ok thanks for the information, we will use the safe way :)

Best Regards,

Guy