Backup catalog and autochanger default configuration issue

TDL

Jan 10, 2022, 10:04:16 AM1/10/22
to bareos-devel
Foreword this has been posted to user mailing, but I believe dev mailing would be more correct. Happy to remove one of the 2 post if you ask me to do it.

Currently the default setting of the BackupCataliog job is doing a "full" backup every day (which semantically makes sense). However, when using autochanger with different pools, this has a very negative impact:
After every incremental or differential backup, the autochanger will unload the "incremental" or "differential"  tape and load the "full" tape, backup the catalog, and next backup will have to reload the "incremental" or "differential" tape  (with all the rewind and fast forward for each tape).

As anyway, the backup catalog consists of just one file, in case of restore of the catalog (hopefully a lot less frequent than the backups ;-) ), having the catalog on the Incremental, Diff or full pool will likely not cause any issue.

So I would propose to either document the changes in the autochanger documentation, or (better in my opinion as I have an autochanger ;-) ) have the default backup job definition changed for everyone.

What is your thought?

Thierry