FW: DAILY MAIL: Women to get letters stating they are owed £13,500 in pension scandal

Zillah Warner

Mar 5, 2021, 10:09:25 AM3/5/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

Wonder if this will apply to any of us

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Susannah Warner
Sent: Thursday, 4 March 2021 1:21 PM
To: Zillah
Subject: DAILY MAIL: Women to get letters stating they are owed £13,500 in pension scandal

Women to get letters stating they are owed £13,500 in pension scandal
Budget documents yesterday revealed that the state pension scandal will cost the UK's Department for Work and Pensions an estimated £3billion to rectify.

Read in Daily Mail: https://apple.news/AD875e5-lTKaLL7ABplhCow

Shared from Apple News

Sent from my iPad

Marianne

Mar 6, 2021, 2:13:17 AM3/6/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
I am pension paid in my own right so sadly won’t be living in hope 🥴

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

Paul Swain

Mar 6, 2021, 2:34:41 AM3/6/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone!

This article https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/pensions/article-9321797/Elderly-women-owed-stunning-3BILLION-state-pension-DWP.html includes some links on how you can get some more information to see if you will benefit from this change in policy.

Apologies if that information is in the other article - I have a policy of not reading the Daily Mail, so I don't know what it contains.

Paul

John Wilson

Mar 7, 2021, 10:05:44 AM3/7/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

I’d expect it to apply for all affected individuals, even if it all relates to the relevant base ‘frozen’ pension amounts getting paid incorrectly.

It’s more to do with the basis of entitlement due to a relationship status and relevant rules applicable as a consequence, regardless of geographical location..

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Bruce Englefield

Mar 8, 2021, 2:26:06 AM3/8/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

Re Zillah,

My wife and I emigrated from the UK in 2001. We both worked and paid National Insurance. My wife started to receive her UK pension in 2003. I delayed taking mine until 2011. At NO time were we informed our pensions would not be uprated in line with inflation, neither before leaving the UK nor before we took our pensions.

When we were having a ‘sort out’ during the Covid crisis I found my wife’s Graduated pension payment information which had been mislaid during the move over from the UK. I wrote to the International UK pensions people to get confirmation that her Graduated pension payments had been included when they calculated her pension entitlement. They replied that it had been taken into account but also stated that she was due a lump sum payment because certain requirements had not been calculated correctly. She received two separate payments because the maximum they could pay at a time was 5000 UK pounds. Her total repayment was approximately AUD $12000. My wife never received any explanation as to how or why she was entitled this money or how it had been calculated. She just smiled and took the money. As we are being cheated out of AUD $9000 approximately each year because of the frozen pension situation and the morally bankrupt UK politicians it was at least one honest action. So hopefully, Zillah, you might get something.

I would remind everyone that if you holiday to the UK or any country that has a reciprocal arrangement then tell the International Pensions section. They will pay the rate of pension you would receive if you were still domiciled in the UK for the duration of your visit. On our last trip to Europe and the UK of twelve weeks this extra money amounted to over AUD $2000.

Meanwhile, thanks to everyone who has put so much effort into trying to ‘Get the bastards honest’. It would seem ‘An Englishman’s word is his bond’ does not apply to the politicians.

Regards

Bruce.

Dr Bruce Englefield OAM

David Weston

Mar 8, 2021, 6:27:07 AM3/8/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Bruce,

Are you sure that your statement about the right to receive the updated amount while in “all” the countries that have a reciprocal arrangement with the UK? My reason for asking is this:

I have lived in Canada since 1967. Since I retired, I have spent part of every winter in Florida, USA. I have known of expat Brits who live in Florida who make the reverse journey to spend the hottest part of the year here in Canada. When, many years ago, I discovered the I was entitled to the full pension while visiting in the UK, I applied for the increased amount during my time spent in the US. I was denied.

The Canada/US difference is particularly annoying. You may have heard of the hypothetical situation in which twin brothers, one in Niagara Falls, NY, and the other in Niagara Falls, Ontario, can see each other across the river. While living expenses are comparable in both places (in fact may be slightly lower in NY) the US resident will, after a few years, be receiving a much higher pension.

It was a long time ago that I raised this with the UK pension authorities and the correspondence is now lost. I have been receiving my pension since February 1985. I don’t know how much more it would be now.

Best wishes,

David Weston