the Mirror anf tripple lock

clive walford

Oct 31, 2022, 1:14:13 AM10/31/22
to BAPA gmail

I emailed the Mirror on Thu, 27 Oct. Asking for more coverage on FPs

            “ REF YOUR HEADLINES ON THE PENSION TRIPLE LOCK THREAT

Rishi Sunak threatens to take hundreds from people's pockets by raiding pensions

RISHI SUNAK THREATENS TO TAKE HUNDREDS FROM PEOPLE'S POCKETS BY RAIDING PENSIONS.”

            I included the comment I made on Facebook:-

“TRIPLE L0CK.?”

 What’s that then? SOMETHING THAT AFFECTS ALL PENSIONERS.  Oops!  Sorry not true. (FROZEN PENSIONERS ARE EXCLUDED).

            “But I thought the Equality Act said age discrimination was illegal,  All pensioners are a “designated group”  pensioners ?, (age), being over the pension commencement age required surely?”

True but as it is law the gov’t can break that law. “But  Why?” The gov’t says we are the law makers so we can break the laws we made. (to suit us). “OH, REALLY!!!”

            . Between 1980 and 2010 the value of the State Pension was steadily eroded relative to average earnings. The introduction of the triple lock was important in reversing that decline and in tackling pensioner poverty. - - - -“

I HAVE TODAY (31 Oct),  SENT A FOLLOW UP

I refer to my email of 27 October 2022 re RISHI SUNAK THREATENS TO TAKE HUNDREDS FROM PEOPLE'S POCKETS BY RAIDING PENSIONS.

Many of the12.5 million UK pensioners will be driven more to the food banks more children living in poverty. 540,000 pensioners living overseas will still never get a penny increase in their pension. (icluding war veterans now in their 90's that have never had an increase in their pension since moving overseas to some countries and are still on £ 40  p/w pension. There are another 600,000 expats that do get the pension increase. Discrimination. The gov't will tell you its not discrimination its the law. true but secondary legislation that is approved automatically after 40 days.

i thought the Mirror was the champion of pensioners, low paid and vulnerable. So why the reluctance to fight the gov'ts treatment of pensioners and war veterens much more fully??? listen  to the pensioners themselves, not just the ICBP or "big" group leaders.

There are 30 + million workers that will become pensioners; some will want to live abroad for various reasons. Some will be frozen pensioners depending on which country they move to. A manifesto that says "equality, fairness and justice" to al! should be they should have added "only joking you pensioners!!" to that manifesto statement.”

          TO “ENCOURAGE” THE MIRROR TO DO MORE. MIGHT I SUGGEST, (OR BEG) MEMBERS OF ALL GROUPS EMAIL THE MIRROR AT

sco...@sundaymirror.co.uk

 “ REF YOUR HEADLINES ON THE PENSION TRIPLE LOCK THREAT. why will the Mirror not take this issue up with the people affected? Talk to those pensioners, including the 540 ,000 frozen pensioners. Dig into how the gov’t do the dirty on those pensioners. - - - put your own words of course, tell your story. Keep it short but make it factual. Large numbers of email may get them moving on it.

JO ODDIE

Oct 31, 2022, 2:45:42 AM10/31/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. I have written to Mirror along the lines you suggest.

Jo

Sent from my iPhone

clive walford

Oct 31, 2022, 11:54:22 AM10/31/22
to 'JO ODDIE' via BAPA
thanks Jo,
It would be nice if a few thousand followes suit !  Action speaks louder than words they say. Armchair action  is not quite the same action ."Negative thinkers are really stinkers". hows that for a   group moto?Emoji

Jonathan Green

Nov 1, 2022, 2:41:36 AM11/1/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clive et al,

I've sent the email below to the Mirror group under the subject "Ref: Your headline "THE PENSION TRIPLE LOCK THREAT".

I am convinced that a new legal challenge would be successful if we could find someone with the skills to set up a fighting fund. A few years back UK judges successfully fought a challenge against unfair changes to their pension fund and more recently UK Firefighters did the same thing; both forced the government to back down. I do not have the necessary skills to set up a fighting fund to at least get a top barrister's advice on where we stand. The last legal challenge went as high as the EU courts and failed. However, times have changed regarding unfair discrimination; things that were hardly spoken about 25 years ago are now front-page news and openly discussed.

Anyway, does anyone have the know-how, to obtain both funding and where to obtain top legal advice? I'm happy to act in a supporting role.

Feel free to adapt my message, but don't copy and paste as that I feel would alienate those receiving the emails at the other end!

Regards.

Hi,

Yes, the government is considering removing the triple lock which was implemented to keep the already low basic state pension at least in line with inflation. They state that they can't afford it, despite finding and spending billions of pounds to fund a vaccination programme. This attack on the elderly seems AND IS unfair.

However, are you aware that almost half a million pensioners NEVER receive an annual uprating of their pension based solely on where they choose (or are compelled) to live? That's despite paying in to the pension fund EXACTLY the same amount as everyone else! That's despite those affected NOT being a drain on the NHS, NOT being able to claim other benefits and NOT clogging up the UK infrastructure as a whole.

Basically, it depends on which country you live in and if it has a reciprocal agreement with the UK. For example, in the USA they get increases, in Canada they don't. In the Philippines they get increases, in Australia they don't. Crazy and unfair.

The Mirror group always portrays itself as reporting and supporting those let down by the 'system', are you able to help publicise and put pressure on the Government to right this discrimination?

November 2nd was deemed End Frozen Pensions Day see, https://endfrozenpensions.org/frozen-pensions-day/

Are you able to question the responsible government Ministers and officials on our behalf as to why they don't see their stance as being unfair, unjust and discriminatory? Maybe even publicise and take up the fight on our behalf?

Thank you for your time in reading this and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind regards,

Jonathan Green
Australia

Nov 1, 2022, 4:42:34 AM11/1/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

Email sent.

We all need to write. We need to take every opportunity we can to help us right this wrong now.

Marie