Another missed opportunity

Paul Swain

Feb 19, 2022, 3:48:49 AM2/19/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

Hi Everyone!

I'm sure that if you've written to your MP or Senators you'll have been told something like "the Australian Government will continue to press the issue with our UK counterparts on behalf of UK pensioners in Australia".

So I expect that you'll be interested to know that when Scott Morrison and Boris Johnson met virtually on Thursday, while they

reaffirmed the unique relationship between Australia and the United Kingdom, built on shared values and common interests, and sustained by the deep bonds between our peoples

and

confirmed their commitment to a free, fair, inclusive and rules-based trade and investment environment and opposed the use of economic coercion

there's no mention of frozen pensions in the joint statement.

So it appears that once again Scott Morrison has missed an opportunity use those "shared values and common interests, ... sustained by the deep bonds between our peoples" and "commitment to a free, fair [and] inclusive ... investment environment" to resolve the frozen pensions issue for us.

If you're writing to your MP or Senators, please let them know about this missed opportunity.

Media report about the meeting, and joint statement

Paul

Richard Denton

Feb 19, 2022, 7:13:39 PM2/19/22
to 'clive walford' via BAPA, Paul Swain
Hi Paul,

Do we know how many Australians are living in the UK and are being paid an Australian indexed  pension?  If we do it will be a solid counterargument to make with the DWP and Government.

Richard

Tony OMahony

Feb 20, 2022, 3:56:29 AM2/20/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com, Paul Swain
Agree.

I have seen reference to such figures, so someone knows - not me however.

Tony O'Mahony

--
Tony O'Mahony

Paul Swain

Feb 20, 2022, 4:03:33 AM2/20/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
'Richard Denton' via BAPA wrote on 20/02/2022 11:13 am:

> Do we know how many Australians are living in the UK and are being
> paid an Australian indexed  pension?  If we do it will be a solid
> counterargument to make with the DWP and Government.

Hi Richard!

It's not something that I know, so you could try using a Freedom of
Information request to find out.

If you're interested in doing that, https://www.righttoknow.org.au/
makes submitting requests easy, and means that the responses are
publicly available.

Paul

terryandlorraine

Feb 21, 2022, 2:14:22 AM2/21/22
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to get this information from somewhere
Regards
Terry

Sent from my Galaxy