Pension from uK

dizzyliz474

Aug 6, 2021, 4:45:57ā€ÆAM8/6/21
to BAPA
Hi my husband and I receive the somewhat miserable UK pension here in Australia. Recently there have been two deposits into our bank account referencing my UK pension number, for roughly Ā£5000 each and my usual monthly deposit had increased by nearly 50%. I have had NO notification why I have received these amounts. Yes I can take the money and run, but would just like to know why I got them . Any feedback would be gratefully accepted. TIAĀ
Ā Elizabeth

Ian Cargill

Aug 6, 2021, 5:10:59ā€ÆAM8/6/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

Sheila Lean

Aug 6, 2021, 5:11:14ā€ÆAM8/6/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elizabeth,

I received an additional payment recently and like you felt confused about what to do.

I then received a letter from Pensions Department explaining they had miscalculated my pension when my partner became eligible for a pension.

I was both surprised and happy to hear that the payment was correct and mine to keep.

Enjoy your surprise.

Sheila

Michael Goodall

Aug 6, 2021, 5:31:52ā€ÆAM8/6/21
to 'dizzyliz474' via BAPA

Hi Liz,

This is most likely due to a review that is taking place in the UK because the DWP were negligent in checking a wife's pension entitlement with regard to her husband's contributions when he reached State Pension Age and claimed his pension. This should have been done when the husband applied for his pension under the pension rules for those spouses who reached State Pension Age before 6th April 2016.

There will be thousands of expat pensioners in Australia who could qualify and don't know about it and we always check with expats we are in touch with. They are supposed to be working through the whole of their pensioners and have a dedicated team allocated to just this specific exercise.

I write a monthly article for a WA Seniors newspaper called Have a Go News and have attached below my article fro the December 2020 issue. I have enclosed a link to a digital copy as it is a very informative publication.Ā  If you would like to keep up to date with changes in UK State Pension rules and information you can have a digital issue e-mailed to you each month by registering on their web site. Link below or e-mail

rea...@haveagonews.com.au

You can also read an on-line digital copy as well.Ā  https://www.haveagonews.com.au/

The recent petition raised by Sir Steve Webb (ex UK Pensions Minister) of Lane Clark & Peacock UK, calling for the UK Government to ā€˜use its records to identify all the women who had been underpaid not just the one group of married women whose husbandā€™s reached State Pension Age after 17th March 2008 and whose pensions should have been automatically reviewed for possible increase when their husband reached SPAā€™, has reached 12,612 signature which exceed the 10,000 required for a Government response.

The Government response was published on 18th November and confirmed that the DWP has started a wider State pension record check to identify married women who may be being underpaid State Pension. This is a significant undertaking and will also include widows who should also have received an increase following their husbandā€™s death.

The DWP is also exploring how it can most effectively check State Pension records to identify other widows and those aged over 80 who may not be getting their correct State Pension entitlement.

This is a significant result and could mean that some additional cash might arrive in bank accounts before anything arrives in writing from the UK because the post is so slow.

I am following up with Sir Steve with a few queries regarding the Government response and if there are any changes to the above will let you know. Hopefully this will mean additional payments for quite a few who are living in Australia.

Enjoy your good fortune.

Best regards,
Mike Goodall
Tel:- 08 6364 0859
Mob:- 0403 909 865

We are a word of mouth referral business. We appreciate you recommending our service to people you know.
On 6/08/2021 11:54 am, 'dizzyliz474' via BAPA wrote:
Hi my husband and I receive the somewhat miserable UK pension here in Australia. Recently there have been two deposits into our bank account referencing my UK pension number, for roughly Ā£5000 each and my usual monthly deposit had increased by nearly 50%. I have had NO notification why I have received these amounts. Yes I can take the money and run, but would just like to know why I got them . Any feedback would be gratefully accepted. TIAĀ
Ā Elizabeth

dizzyliz474

Aug 7, 2021, 3:08:18ā€ÆAM8/7/21
to BAPA
Good morning from sunny Tweed Heads šŸ¤— thank you everyone who replied. Great to hear itā€™s not a ā€œstuff upā€ and they want it back. Just goes to prove they have made a monumental mess of our ā€œentitled toā€ Ā graduated pensions payment. Hereā€™s hoping they get the rest sorted out to unfreeze it .
Cheers

Elizabeth

James Nelson

Aug 7, 2021, 3:21:16ā€ÆAM8/7/21
to 'dizzyliz474' via BAPA

Elizabeth

I think you need to adjust the time on your computer to bring it into line with NSW standard time.

James

Bruce Englefield

Aug 7, 2021, 4:24:01ā€ÆAM8/7/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Elizabeth,

Hear hear to the unfreeze. My wife received a similar sum of money out of the blue without an explanation, but it was gratefully received.
I hope you also know that if you holiday back to the UK or Europe you can claim an unfrozen pension amount for the time you are there. For us it amounted to 100 pounds a week and we also used the NHS for free. At least we got a little of the money we have been cheated out of!

Regards

Bruce.

Sent from my iPad

On 7 Aug 2021, at 17:08, 'dizzyliz474' via BAPA <bapa...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

ļ»æGood morning from sunny Tweed Heads šŸ¤— thank you everyone who replied. Great to hear itā€™s not a ā€œstuff upā€ and they want it back. Just goes to prove they have made a monumental mess of our ā€œentitled toā€ Ā graduated pensions payment. Hereā€™s hoping they get the rest sorted out to unfreeze it .

elizabeth cardoo

Aug 7, 2021, 1:15:35ā€ÆPM8/7/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bruce, actually it was your posting that alerted me to the reason why I received the payment. Thank you for that. Re the uprating when back in UK, as far as Iā€™m aware you have to be there for a minimum of six weeks. My last visit was in 2019 for three months so got on to them straight away, got a lovely chappy on the phone who did everything for me and hey presto all done in one phone call. Previous times only there for Ā 6 weeks but i never knew about it.Ā
Every wee bit helps.Ā
RegardsĀ
ElizabethĀ
ps I did sent you a msg via Facebook šŸ¤—

Sent from my iPhone

On 7 Aug 2021, at 6:24 pm, Bruce Englefield <bruce.en...@westnet.com.au> wrote:

ļ»æDear Elizabeth,
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "BAPA" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bapanews/ED09C048-A3A7-440F-A5B7-4BE9D10078D1%40westnet.com.au.

Marianne

Aug 8, 2021, 3:30:41ā€ÆAM8/8/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
You get the uprating in the UK for as long as you are there, be 1 week or 3 months.

Bruce Englefield

Aug 9, 2021, 12:14:27ā€ÆPM8/9/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Dear Elizabeth,

Just in case, I expect you already know that you can also claim back any VAT you have paid on goods in the UK. Claim at last place of call on leaving, e.g. port or airport.

Regards
Bruce.

Sent from my iPad

On 8 Aug 2021, at 03:15, 'elizabeth cardoo' via BAPA <bapa...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

ļ»æHi Bruce, actually it was your posting that alerted me to the reason why I received the payment. Thank you for that. Re the uprating when back in UK, as far as Iā€™m aware you have to be there for a minimum of six weeks. My last visit was in 2019 for three months so got on to them straight away, got a lovely chappy on the phone who did everything for me and hey presto all done in one phone call. Previous times only there for Ā 6 weeks but i never knew about it.Ā