Fwd: Attached Image

Michael Skully

Mar 11, 2021, 1:54:09 AM3/11/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I wrote a letter to the Minister, Anne Ruston on the recent developments in the UK, but the attched response was disappointing.

Mike
2749_001.pdf

bow...@bigpond.net.au

Mar 11, 2021, 8:12:23 PM3/11/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

As a result of the email below from Mike Skully, I thought I should update BAPA members with one of the latest developments in Canada.

The Canadian Alliance of British Pensioners is also fighting the UK government to overcome the unfair “freezing of UK pensions” to Canadian residents.

CABP has managed to get the Canadian government to treat the matter seriously  and there has been a government motion to address the the situation with UK Government.

The following resolution has just been passed unanimously in the Canadian Parliament:

That the House recognizes that there are approximately 136,000 recipients of UK state pensions in Canada;

That it recognizes the UK government does not provide annual indexed increases to UK pensioners residing in Canada, effectively freezing their pensions at the levels they were at when they first claimed their pensions in Canada;

That it recognizes Canada provides annual indexed increases to Canadian pensioners who live in the UK;

That it recognizes UK pensioners living in the USA, Germany, Italy, Barbados, Bermuda, Israel, Jamaica and other countries receive annual indexed increases;

That it recognizes frozen pensions represent a combined loss of over $500 million per year to the Canadian economy and to Canadian taxpayers, due to three factors: frozen pensions force thousands of UK pensioners in Canada to rely on Canada’s social assistance programs such as the Guaranteed Income Supplement, the significant loss of CRA tax revenues due to the lower income of 136,000 pensioners, and the loss of sales tax revenues due to the loss of discretionary income;

That it recognizes frozen UK pensions represent an injustice to both UK pensioners in Canada and to Canadian taxpayers;

That it recognizes the UK government is currently negotiating new pension indexing agreements with EU countries due to Brexit, and that now is the appropriate time for the UK government to negotiate a pension indexing agreement with Canada;

And That the House believes the government should press the UK government to open negotiations with Canada to remedy this situation as soon as possible and provide annual indexed pension increases to UK pensioners residing in Canada.

Here’s the link to the video https://youtu.be/E8x-zu-jcMY

All BAPA members who have had communications with there Federal MPs on the Frozen pension subject could help the cause in Australia by forwarding the above details to there MP and ask –

  • If the Canadian Government can do this why can’t the Australian Government do something similar?

Brian

Tony Hussey

Mar 11, 2021, 11:36:15 PM3/11/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com
Great news from Canada. Does anyone have a succinct doco summarising similar figures for Australia - that they could send/post. When sending the Canadian info to my Federal MP I need to tell her the stats for Australia - basically numbers of pensioners and costs etc. I am sure that this info has appeared somewhere previously... but I do not have it to hand

Tony -  Perth WA

bow...@bigpond.net.au

Mar 14, 2021, 1:02:55 AM3/14/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

I am replying to Tony but I thought I would send it to all BAPA  group members for their reference

The Westminster Government does produce a document on Frozen Pensions each year – the attached edition  gives the statistics in Sections  3 – it doesn’t show the cost of uprating Australian Frozen Pensioners, but Australia has 224.000 about 45% of the total number of Frozen Pensioners being 492,000, So you can do the rough calculation.  They do quote a total cost of £610 million  for 2020-21 in order to correct the unfair system of freezing pensions to residents in certain countries.

Brian

House of Commons Frozen Pensions February 2021.pdf

John Wilson

Mar 14, 2021, 11:07:22 AM3/14/21
to bapa...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I find it ‘interesting’ that the document (sent earlier), on page 12, shows such a clear analysis for comparison between non-frozen and frozen of caseload and expenditure by country.

Even more notable is the variance (upon % calculation) of the average payment (£ per week) between certain countries, such as USA/Spain vs Canada/Australia (respectively with disparities of about +62 % and +243 %).

See extracted image (with above countries outlined) attached for viewing.

Impacted countries, having ‘frozen’ pension recipients, government may be appreciative of that level of information.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

DWP State Pension caseload and expenditure by country - extract.jpg

Hamish Macbeth

Mar 15, 2021, 1:54:12 AM3/15/21
to BAPA
Thanks for that informative schedule of DWP expenditure for our state pensions.
Seems that if we all moved to Spain or Portugal we would each receive on average
an increase of GBP70 a week. Hola!