Ride and help Educate underprivileged Girl Students

Parag Patankar

Oct 12, 2020, 8:28:08 AM10/12/20
to bangalore-bikers, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club), Chidambaran Subramanian, dha...@gmail.com, ali poonawala, GoGreen Rao (Prabhakar Rao C.M)
All,

Here's an interesting way to contribute to educating underprivileged Girls, and enjoy your rides too.

Udbhav School is a low fee, high quality school managed by IIM Ahmedabad Alumni association in Hyderabad. They are partnering with RBL Bank to raise funds.
For each Km cycled by a volunteer, RBL bank will donate Rs 10 to Udbhav school. I have been a long time volunteer with a sister school of the Udbhav school, called Eklavya school (also managed by IIMA Alumni), and can vouch that all the donations actually go towards helping students. However, I don't know anything about the Lifecycul App or the company developing it. They seem to have a strava integration, so maybe you can simply transfer your strava data if that works, and you don't want to use this app during rides.

All you need to do is ride,no financial donation needed (but welcome, if you wish to) , now you have another excuse to tell your family that you need to go riding!

Steps:
  1. Register : https://cykul.com/rblbank/
  2. Download LifeCykul app & sign up with the registered mobile number :  http://onelink.to/lifecykul
  3. Turn on your Data&GPS while you Ride (So they can log the distance) - and watch RBL bank donate Rs 10 per Km
Regards,
Parag

PS: Chiddu, Dhawal, Dr Ali, GGI Rao- This may be an opportunity to revive the Month end ride in the last week of October and collectively raise a fair amount ?

Ali Poonawala

Oct 12, 2020, 10:03:54 AM10/12/20
to Parag Patankar, bangalore-bikers, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club), Chidambaran Subramanian, dha...@gmail.com, GoGreen Rao (Prabhakar Rao C.M)
Hi Parag...
Fantastic initiative !!
10 Rs. Per Km cycled ...That is huge money !!
I think individual efforts it will have to be.
With Bengaluru officially reporting 5000+ cases a day, it would be difficult to justify group rides...That is a biased medical cyclist's opinion !!😢

Is this a short term drive of RBL or a long term commitment ?

Ali Poonawala

Parag Patankar

Oct 12, 2020, 10:55:35 AM10/12/20
to Ali Poonawala, bangalore-bikers, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club), Chidambaran Subramanian, dha...@gmail.com, GoGreen Rao (Prabhakar Rao C.M)
This is only valid from Oct 2 to Nov 15th for raising funds for this school. But RBL has been sponsoring their Mumbai- Hyderabad 1000 Km ride for the last few years. RBL also sponsored paid training by an agency for the teachers for teaching online effectively, I had done a similar one for free forthe Eklavya school teachers.

Agree on individual rides, given the out of control Covid situation.
BTW: This sunday I saw a lot of riders on the Banerghatta Circle- kaggalipura stretch, looked like an organised ride with a lot of newbie riders. That stretch now has a very good surface and low traffic on sundays. And on a sad note, Harohalli-Jigani stretch is being widened, and a lot of our lovely climbs have been flattened. The first sharp climb in the section has been blasted through and it is completely flat (and muddy), with a lot of construction going on.

db

Oct 14, 2020, 2:25:01 PM10/14/20
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Parag... wow, great initiative.  I had this thought for a long time -- cycling kms being converted to funds, for some social initiative.  Great that RBL is funding this initiative.

Will try this out... have been doing Sat/Sun rides reguarly, logging ~80-120kms.  Would be very gratifying, to see that translate to funds for a school.  Will post this on a WAG in my area as well.  Maybe someone can post on FB:bikeszone as well?

Sad to know about Harohali-Jigani sections being flattened.  Have_not been there for a while.  I have told various folks, that those are (were?) some of the best climbs/downs, around BLR.  Had done rides there about 5-6 weekends, within ~2months, before a ~2week bike tour in 2018-Sep; really enjoyed those rides, and they served very well to condition me for my tour.

Doc -- very good cautionary note re: group rides.  Have heard of various cases of runners getting infected, due to group runs.  Folks can maybe have one ride partner, if riding alone is an issue; but that more or less should be it.  And keep distance while riding, and at breaks.  Also, do carry/use a sanitiser, while taking refreshments etc., and wear a buff/mask, all the time.  It is difficult to be watchful all the time; so best to avoid groups, everywhere.  Just getting to do rides in these times, is a luxury... be mindful/responsible for everyone's sake.

-{db}.
.
.

db

Oct 18, 2020, 2:41:40 AM10/18/20
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I registered yesterday, & tried the LifeCykul app on my android phone -- while installing, for location permissions, I selected "allow only when using the app".  Started recording, but looked like the app was only getting the location when it was open on my screen.  For komoot app, I have the same permission; that get's the location properly all the time while active, even if it is_not open on my screen.

I went into permissions, to see if I could change the LifeCykul app location permission to "allow any time"; but that option was_not available for this app.  Did uninstall/reinstall, to see if it gave me the original "location permission options" prompt again during install, but it did_not.

For other apps, I do see 3 options under location permissions -- any time, only while using the app, & deny.  Komoot btw, only shows the last 2 options.

Anyone faced anything similar?

thx,  -{db}.
.
.

Parag

Oct 18, 2020, 12:09:32 PM10/18/20
to Bangalore Bikers Club
It seems to be working fine for me, had tested it on a short ride and a walk earlier in the week.I have noticed it takes a long time to get a GPS lock, and I have only had it in the foreground, so not sure of the GPS issue.
I did a 40 km ride today morning, and despite GPS and Data on as mandated by the app, the battery drain was not too much, I was a bit apprehensive about that.
DB: might be easier to sync Strava data to it if you are using Strava ?

db

Oct 19, 2020, 4:03:04 AM10/19/20
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Tried the GPS recording again yesterday; same issue.  Seems to be related to the foreground/background; since it only plots the points where I checked the status of the recording in the app.  Rest is just straight lines between those points.

Using strava integration was my first choice; but I had_not seen that option in the app.  Have figured that out now... that seems to work quite well.  The good thing is, the app pulled in all my rides from Strava, starting 2020-10-02, so feels real good that all the earlier kms will also go towards the raising funds for the school.  It shows ~310kms for me now, putting me at 25/439 in the leaderboard.  Last weekend, my Garmin Edge 520 locked up during a ride, so ~40-50kms were_not recorded; otherwise, I would be another 5 spots higher. :)  All this, excluding the first+last ~5-10 kms, that I usually don't record on any ride. #jfyi :D

There is always a concern in such apps, that one has to share one's name & contact info; but I usually use a backup contact # + email id in such cases, so privacy concerns are low, and follow up calls/emails don't cause nuisance.  The app only asks for permission to access location, and storage; not contacts (though app info in Google Play shows "may request access to" camera, and contacts as well).  Since I will be using strava integration, I have blocked location access as well, now.  So overall, i think concerns with using the LifeCykul app, should be low.  FWIW-- Currently, the Google Play shows 10K+ downloads for the app.

Seems like a nice way to get one's cycling (and walking, running) activities support a good cause.  Thanks Parag, for sharing this -- this type of intiative had been on my mind for a while.  Good to see it in action.  Got me wondering now, if folks might be interested in getting together to develop something that can do this on a more regular basis.  (or maybe we can use the LifeCykul app, or other apps / platforms available already?)   I had asked some time back, re: getting cycling hooked-in to CSR initiatives of corporates; thought was along similar lines... getting credits for kms covered.  If folks are interested, pls respond here, or on my post from 2020-08-03.  Would like to take it forward.

thx,  -{db}.
.
.

Parag

Oct 19, 2020, 8:22:58 AM10/19/20
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Good to hear the Strava integration worked, congrats on jumping to #25, hopefully we will see you in te top 10 soon. We should get Anil Kadsurs' miles logged, he should be on top of all the leagues ;-)
I am game to do something like this on a regular basis. Maybe we can tie this to some Corporate Cycle2Work initiatives, where a corporate employee is motivated to cycle regularly, by the cause ?

Karthick Gururaj

Oct 20, 2020, 2:46:32 AM10/20/20
to Parag, Bangalore Bikers Club

https://cycleto.work/ -> run by Satya, BLR Bicycle mayor.

Seems to be related to the foreground/background; since it only plots the points where I checked the status of the recording in the app.  Rest is just straight lines between those points.
Check battery optimization settings - Android could be restricting the app from running in the background to save on battery. Had this issue with Strava as well.

- Karthick

--
Biking conversations on the world famous "Bangalore Bikers Club" :)
bangalorebikersclub.com

db

Oct 23, 2020, 11:21:15 AM10/23/20
to Bangalore Bikers Club
I have slipped down to ~34 now; the weekend will hopefully see my rank recover again. :)  Yeah, we should get Anil Kadsur in... RBL might face liquidity crunch then. :)

The GPS issue of LifeCykul app, seems to be tied to the "allow app to access location all the time" setting.  Not sure why that option does_not show up later, after being presented during first install.

Re: having such initiatives long term -- There will be many folks, for whom cycling to work will_not be a workable option, for various reasons.  Moreover, with the covid-19 pandemic, commutes are anyway quite low now, and even later, many companies are looking at significant work-from-home plans.  Also, quite a few folks will be logging lot of kms, separately.

So having an initiative which just focuses on the kms, irrespective of the category, should be the most flexible/popular, IMO.  And we can engage with CSR initiatives -- similar to the RBL initiative.  So employers would contribute some funds, for kms logged by their employees.

Running/walking/cycling, could all be covered, with different weights for kms from each activity.  Lot of ideas to consider, if we pursue this.

-{db}.
.
.

db

Nov 27, 2020, 9:54:48 AM11/27/20
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Parag -- do you have any info, re: the final amount raised in this challenge, and confirmation that the amount has been donated?  After the challenge ended, the league stopped showing that info.  Last I recall seeing, it was showing ~Rs8L raised.

Also, looks like a similar challenge is about to start again in few days.  This time, it shows Rs50/km.  That is quite something; though it is_not clear if cycling is covered this time; might be only walking/running.  Any way to get clarification?

thx,  -{db}.
.
.

Parag Patankar

Nov 27, 2020, 11:48:23 AM11/27/20
to db, bangalore-bikers
I will ask about this and get back.

The new challenge seems to be only Running/walking, maybe they heard Anil Kadsur is going to join the cyclists.

I met him today while out on a short grocery ride, and he told me he now wakes up at 2:20 am and rides out at 2:50 am every day. He has been doing 100+ km for 100+ days in a row already !

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Bangalore Bikers Club" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/bangalore-bikers/3a108f35-7eaa-43ee-bebd-b239886ed17fn%40googlegroups.com.

db

Nov 28, 2020, 7:03:19 AM11/28/20
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks Parag.  Will be nice if they can continue some league for cyclists as well, even if they keep it at 1/4 or 1/5 the amt/km, compared to walking/running.

Meanwhile, looks like AK is in a league of his own; no bank would want to risk putting up any money to match his kms. :)

-{db}.
.
.

Parag Patankar

Dec 7, 2020, 11:42:03 AM12/7/20
to db, bangalore-bikers
They will be declaring the final numbers after Dec 12 when the contest closes, there is some "qualifiers round" that is still going on.

db

Dec 8, 2020, 5:26:28 PM12/8/20
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Thanks Parag.  I absolutely loved the initiative/idea of getting ride kms translated to monetary donations.

Since their current league seems to be limited to walking/running, am guessing they felt cycling kms were really high.  :)   Can they can reintroduce cycling, with some reduction factor, compared to walking/running?

-{db}.
.
.

db

Dec 9, 2020, 9:24:41 AM12/9/20
to Bangalore Bikers Club
The LifeCykul app is giving me notifications for my recent rides, saying x100 amt of funds have been raised related to each km of my activity.  I think they are currently donating Rs100, for each km of running/walking, hence x100.

The league does_not show my cycling activities, which I think is because cycling is_not covered in the current league, but the notifications indicate my cycling rides are getting covered.

Some mismatch somewhere, looks like.  Hope cycling gets covered again soon, so I can stop spinning on this. :)

-{db}.
.
.

Parag Patankar

Dec 16, 2020, 12:09:44 AM12/16/20
to db, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club), Bangalore Bikers Club
The closing ceremony of UMEED 1000 is on Wednesday 16th Dec 2020 at 6.00 pm live here:

Please be there to enjoy our Udbhav children’s performance and meet the cyclists and special invitees. The cheque from RBL Leadership will be handed over to the school, the amount is still a secret, and will be revealed during the event.

Arun B

Dec 17, 2020, 6:34:46 AM12/17/20
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Hi Parag,

I was an active participant of the donate miles to educate campaign. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to tune in to the cheque handout event.

Could you give some information about that or post a link for the recorded video if it is available.

Thank you.

Regards,
Arun

Parag Patankar

Dec 17, 2020, 7:40:10 AM12/17/20
to Arun B, db, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club), bangalore-bikers
The final amount donated is a Cool Rs 5.12 Crore.

Thanks to all of you who participated and contributed to this cause.
I will keep you posted for any future events like this, and as Dhawal mentioned, lets try and create some events ourselves !

db

Dec 18, 2020, 9:29:16 AM12/18/20
to Parag Patankar, Arun B, GGI-Club (Go Green Initiator's Club), bangalore-bikers
This is absolutely fantastic.

Thanks Parag for posting about this initiative here; it was very gratifying to see our cycle rides raising funds for a social cause.  Looking forward to more such opportunities.  Hope you can convey that to Udbhav & RBL.

Will explore how we can organise more such initiatives from our side as well.

thx,  -{db}.
.
.

db

Dec 23, 2020, 8:22:36 PM12/23/20
to Bangalore Bikers Club
Got a certificate from RBL Bank, recognising my kms contribution, & the corresponding funds raised.  Very cool. :)

 -{db}.
.
.