Don’t miss naked eye comet Lemmon-PanSTARRS.

Akarsh Simha

Apr 1, 2022, 2:18:29 PM4/1/22
to The Bangalore Astronomical Society
There is a new bright comet, C/2021 F1 Lemmon PanSTARRS, in the night sky currently, but it is at present only suitable for observers at northern latitudes. It has already brightened up significantly to naked eye visibility with proper technique. It is still far from perihelion, and if it brightens during perihelion, it has a chance of being the comet of the century. It is a long period comet, which means it’ll never come back in our lifetimes, so don’t miss this opportunity, especially if you live in a dark place and north of the Tropic of Cancer.

Last night, I was under Bortle 3 skies in California where I was able to easily see the comet with averted imagination in the constellation of Andromeda. The oxygen deprivation from high altitude hiking may have made it a bit easier, so I imagine it would be harder from lower altitudes.

Here is more info about this comet:

Regards
Akarsh

keerthi kiran

Apr 1, 2022, 10:05:05 PM4/1/22
to BAS
Hello Akarsh,
Yesterday, I was able to see this from my balcony. The haze and dust in the Bangalore atmosphere had turned the sky orangish. So the green comet was clearly visible against this background.
Today, I will try to observe with a cloud filter to penetrate through clouds and let you know if it is still visible.
You talked about the altitude. How 'high' were you?

Thanks and regards,
Keerthi

Akarsh Simha

Apr 4, 2022, 10:01:30 PM4/4/22
to b-...@googlegroups.com

Gopal Addanki

Apr 4, 2022, 11:26:37 PM4/4/22
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Can you please let us know the right time and direction to spot the comet. Is it still visible to the naked eye in Bangalore?

Akarsh Simha

Apr 5, 2022, 1:07:26 AM4/5/22
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Look at the date of the message? ;-)

Gopal Addanki

Apr 5, 2022, 1:53:30 AM4/5/22
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Saw it. Guessed it. But when I saw a 2nd April confirmation, what else could I have done?

Girish

Apr 5, 2022, 3:43:32 AM4/5/22
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
Hi,

I am also curious to  see the comet, so I had checked in heaven-above and found the following data for Bangalore
.
C/2021 F1 Lemmon-PANSTARRS     (at 1: 00 PM daytime)
Magnitude : 9.1    2022-Mar-31     (Hard for naked eye)
Separation from Sun :  19°
Altitude   75.3°
Azimuth   327° (NNW)
Constellation :  Pisces

Looking at the angular separation from Sun it is bit hard to see

If we try to observe this at after sunset from Bangalore

Altitude : 4.9° Azimuth : 295° (WNW)

I really do not think,  it is going to an easy object from Bangalore
Still if any one manage to see this comet, pls let me know.

Regards
Girish

keerthi kiran

Apr 5, 2022, 4:18:37 AM4/5/22
to BAS
Well, it was hardly a confirmation :)
I was just trying to make some absurd claims...

Thanks and regards,
Keerthi

Girish

Apr 6, 2022, 2:45:06 AM4/6/22
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
Keerthi,
So it was a  joke :)  Cool....

When I saw the actual data about angular separation from Sun and magnitude  I was wondering how did you manage to see it from your balcony.
Any one from Mangalore or costal places may be able to go the sea shore and may get a view.

But people from Mumbai and Gujarat, should be able to get a good view of comet from the beaches.

Regards
Girish

keerthi kiran

Apr 6, 2022, 7:00:29 AM4/6/22
to BAS
Hello,
From the website, now it is mag 9.3. Also, it is not observable.
In May, it will be observable from Southern hemisphere.

Thanks and Regards,
Keerthi

keerthi kiran

Apr 6, 2022, 7:01:26 AM4/6/22
to BAS
You would need a good telescope (8" or bigger) and a very good sky away from the city to see the comet even if it was not in the glare of the sun.

Pavan Keshavamurthy

Apr 7, 2022, 12:17:53 AM4/7/22
to BAS

Girish

Apr 7, 2022, 1:48:42 AM4/7/22
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
Hi,
That means the comet is fading and there are no chances of getting a glimpse of the same from Northern Hemisphere.

Regards
Girish

Jensin Joshua

May 20, 2022, 12:49:42 AM5/20/22
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
Is there any Stargazing/Star party scheduled in the near future?
Kindly let me know.

regards,
J.Joshua
Mob: 09791933250
Mail: jjen...@gmail.com

Girish

May 20, 2022, 4:22:10 AM5/20/22
to Bangalore Astronomical Society
IF there is another star party,  I would like to come with telescope... Weather is really bad across BAngalore now, once that is improved we can go outskirts and do a star party
Girish

keerthi kiran

May 21, 2022, 7:04:50 AM5/21/22
to BAS
The Astro season in South India is over.
We will conduct more star parties in the next Astro season starting from Dec.

Thanks and Regards,
Keerthi