Rest in peace Leela Kalyanaraman

keerthi kiran

Nov 16, 2021, 7:56:04 PM11/16/21
to BAS
We just heard the news that Leela Kalyanaraman passed away from cardiac arrest yesterday. She was associated with BAS and ABAA for many years, and had an immense enthusiasm for astronomy despite her age and health. If I remember the story correctly, she survived cancer and then decided that she wanted to observe the heavens thereafter. She had a place in Jayamahal in Bangalore and an estate in Coonoor, and she used to make most of her observations from Coonoor with an 8” SCT. She has supported BAS and present and former BAS members in many ways. She touched many lives in this community. Om Shanti.

Regards,
Keerthi

Gopal Addanki

Nov 16, 2021, 9:09:02 PM11/16/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Om Shanti.

She was a woman with great determination. I invited her a few years back as a guest speaker to our Rotary Club. I was amazed to hear her life story. Inspite of so much of medical history she went on to achieve something she had a great passion about. Astronomy. Heard that she even had a transplant.

We will always remember her contribution in our forum.

RIP Leela Kalyanaraman.

Gopal

Abhilash Pavuluri

Nov 16, 2021, 10:06:15 PM11/16/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com
This is tragic, shocking news indeed. a terrible, terrible loss for the astronomy community at large. Rest in Peace, Leela :(

Vipin N

Nov 16, 2021, 10:30:16 PM11/16/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Though, I haven't met her in person. I know her very well through the emails in this group. May her soul rest in peace.

My sincere condolences to her family and close friends.

Ramesh Kumar

Nov 16, 2021, 11:05:12 PM11/16/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Sad to know. RIP Leela ma'am.

Sunil Gobbannavar

Nov 17, 2021, 12:07:29 AM11/17/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com
RIP, sad news, I recall her being very enthusiastic, eager to learn during BAS sessions etc...

Thanks,
Sunil G

Mohan Ramanathan

Nov 17, 2021, 11:20:36 AM11/17/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com

I have been interacting with her now and then and attended a night sky camp with her too! We lost a champ and evangelist! My condolences!

Regards,

Mohan Ramanathan

Vishwa Kumar MC

Nov 18, 2021, 2:25:26 AM11/18/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com
Very sad to hear this,  condolences to her family members, l  have always seen her at ABAA. Very passionate about astronomy and always used to greet with warm smile.

May her soul rest in peace.

Regards,
Vishwa Kumar

Naveen Nanjundappa

Nov 18, 2021, 11:14:03 PM11/18/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com, lee...@gmail.com
Dear All,

Having known and interacted with Leela Madam for the last 12-13 years, I was emotional the last 3 days to send any message.
She was very eager to learn about the universe, the best part was she used to share her learning with everyone be it friends, family or with members of BAS / ABAA. She also explored the social network to connect with amateur astronomers across the globe. Sponsored/Supported BAS / ABAA and it's members in many ways.

I personally had lots of discussions with her, and her house door was open any time for a visit. She was actively exploring the night sky with her Celestron 8SE Telescope & Binoculars from Bengaluru and Coonoor. She always found someone to join her observation session and share her learning, and get them interested in astronomy. Indeed she has motivated many students and adults towards astronomy.

With a journey towards exploring the Universe and its secrets, she has now joined the stars. 14 years back approximately she had a Liver Transplant, after which she developed an interest towards astronomy and the universe. She took various courses in Coursera, Open2Study and many other online portals. History, Mythology related to astronomy remained one of her interests of study.  As always she never missed sharing her learning with others and encouraging them to take up those courses.  About 4-5 years back she had a Kidney transplant, She was well supported by her body during the tough time and care from family. Indeed it was a shock to accept her departure and journey towards the stars.

With all age groups she was a smiling and goto person and She always said "I'm a student" and remained so till the last minute.

She was generous to introduce me, She always spoke highly about our (BAS / ABAA ) activities to her family and friends. They all knew about us !   Our prayers with her family.
Leela Madam - We will miss you. You will always be remembered.

Thanks,
Naveen Nanjundappa

Hariyani, Hemant

Nov 18, 2021, 11:31:11 PM11/18/21
to b-...@googlegroups.com, lee...@gmail.com
This is really very very sad news. Om Shanti 🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽

Sent from my iPhone