Finding records for Antoine J Silva and his wife Rosa Cordoza in Faial da Terra

Elizabeth Ramer

Sep 13, 2019, 1:55:15 AM9/13/19
to Azores Genealogy
Hi all,
I am trying to figure out the best way to search for records for my relatives Antoine J Silva born 1834 and his wife Rosa Cordoza born 1839, in Faial da Terra. I know they emigrated to Gloucester, Massachusetts and all of their children were born there, the first in 1865 or 1866. I went through some posts here and it seems there is an archival website for passport records and such but I found it extremely difficult to use; I couldn't figure out what the different categories of filters mean even with Google translate. Any pointers would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Elizabeth

Cheri Mello

Sep 13, 2019, 2:00:19 AM9/13/19
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Elizabeth R,

Use Tombo.pt to navigate. Click on the British flag. Then type "faial da terra" in the left navigation column. Once Faial da Terra comes up in the main window, click it. You will see all records available for FdT from the Azores government records site (the CCA). Find the record set you want and click on it. It will link you to the CCA where you will then see the actual records themselves.
Good luck and happy hunting!
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

Sep 13, 2019, 5:10:52 PM9/13/19
to Azores Genealogy
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

EResendes

Sep 14, 2019, 9:20:19 PM9/14/19
to Azores Genealogy
If you you know who their parents are? I have an extensive tree of families from Faial da Terra. Do you have their exact birthdates?

Elizabeth Ramer

Sep 15, 2019, 1:00:24 PM9/15/19
to Azores Genealogy
Unfortunately, no. Their names and years of birth are all I have, based on US census records. This is the type of information I was hoping to find out.

Elizabeth Ramer

Sep 15, 2019, 1:00:31 PM9/15/19
to Azores Genealogy
Thanks so much!

Margaret Vicente

Sep 15, 2019, 1:17:59 PM9/15/19
to azores
Hello Elizabeth,

Since you seem to know where they were married, you should be ordering
first their marriage certificate. If you have Ancestry membership you
should be able to find it. The parents should be listed as well as
the place of origin.

This may be the birth record for Rosa. Top right side. Birth date is
March 21 1838 Baptized on April 1 of 1838. The parents on this record
are Manuel Furtado Cardozo [Cardoso] and his wife Rosa Pacheco.

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-PV-FAIALDATERRA-B-1828-1839/SMG-PV-FAIALDATERRA-B-1828-1839_item1/index.html

I'll see if I can find Antonio's.

Margaret Vicente

On Sun, Sep 15, 2019 at 1:00 PM Elizabeth Ramer

--
Margaret M Vicente

Margaret Vicente

Sep 15, 2019, 1:19:14 PM9/15/19
to azores
sorry, typo, birth date is March 20th
--
Margaret M Vicente

Elizabeth Ramer

Sep 15, 2019, 3:11:23 PM9/15/19
to Azores Genealogy
Oh wow thank you! When I clicked the link you sent it went to the title page, not the specific jpeg file, there are 200 listed, do you know which number you clicked on? Also, I'm impressed how you can read any of that handwriting! I've been trying to go through them but I can't read the writing that well.

Cheri Mello

Sep 15, 2019, 3:16:24 PM9/15/19
to Azores Genealogy
Elizabeth R,

Maybe you missed my post as I put it as a postscript. Here it is again:
If you don't "read" the records, here's a guide to help you:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/1918ac0e-bf14-4755-ab75-af2764a11f10%40googlegroups.com.