Azorean Genealogy conference organized in Azores in 2020

João Ventura

Oct 11, 2019, 10:27:50 AM10/11/19
to Azores Genealogy
Hi everyone,

It seems that the Azores regional government will organize a genealogy conference in 2020.

Might be a chance to finally meet some of you :)

João Ventura

Marilyn Thompson

Oct 11, 2019, 10:41:56 AM10/11/19
to Cheri Mello
Is there a date for this conference? I did not see a date.

Rosemarie Capodicci

Oct 11, 2019, 12:27:01 PM10/11/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Wow, will you be teaching, Joao?? This sounds wonderful.

Rosemarie
Researching Sao Jorge, Terceira, Graciosa, Faial and Pico, Azores,
Isola delle Femmine, Sant' Elia, Sicily

MaryAnn Santos

Oct 11, 2019, 12:33:47 PM10/11/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
This is fantastic. If anyone receives more detailed information - date/city, etc. Please let me know.

Best,
MaryAnn

--
MaryAnn Santos
Senior Advisement and Student Affairs Administrator

Follow us at
Twitter / @NYUart
Instagram / @nyuart

Facebook / NYU Art Department

doreen...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2019, 1:17:24 PM10/11/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Can they generate a flyer in English, for those of us that are Portuguese-language impaired. Na Falo Portuguese😊

I also wondering with my limited mobility, if I would be able to access where they plan to have the workshops and/or hotels.

Sincerely,

Doreen

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Cheri Mello

Oct 11, 2019, 1:28:07 PM10/11/19
to Azores Genealogy
My guess is that if the flyer is in Portuguese, the classes would be in Portuguese.

It's not ADA compliant over there. Some of the larger hotels probably have accommodations. You'd want a taxi or rent a car. Walking would be a challenge as it is an island with lots of going up and down hills. The streets are cobblestone, so not the best if walking is a problem. The churches all have stairs. If you can navigate them slowly then you may be okay. We had an 80 year old with us last year at San Joaninas and he took it slow and easy.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

Oct 11, 2019, 1:34:23 PM10/11/19
to Azores Genealogy
And you can always run it through Google Translate or something similar:

The Assistant Regional Secretary of the Presidency for External Relations announced today in Saint George, Bermuda, the holding of an international meeting of Azorean genealogy in 2020 in the Azores.

Rui Bettencourt, speaking at the opening session of the XXII General Assembly of the World Council of the Azores Houses, added that this meeting will bring together all the institutions, associations, working groups and experts working on genealogy.

"We are increasingly seeing an effervescence, a curiosity, a need for third, fourth or fifth generation Azoreans to know what their roots are, where they come from or where their grandfather lived," said the "There is a need to see what we were and who we are."

For the holder of the External Relations portfolio, it is through the construction of "a balance between past and present" that one can "project the future of the Azores and ensure development for future generations".

"We are entering a new phase of our history, which is the realization that all over the world we are all proudly and in different ways," said the Regional Secretary.

In his speech, Rui Bettencourt thanked, on behalf of the Regional Government, the work that is being done by the Casas dos Açores, as well as the presence of their presidents and representatives at this world meeting, highlighting the important work they do in the diaspora, “in strengthening the region and the dignity of all the Azoreans ”.

“You are those institutional partners, those safe institutions that are rather the Azorean embassies in the world, those with whom the Azores and their Government work, those who are working with the Azoreans every day, solving problems, discussing difficult issues, ”said the official, considering that this is a source of“ great pride ”for the Azores.

The Regional Secretary also thanked the presence of the delegation of the Legislative Assembly of the Autonomous Region of the Azores, which, in recent years, has participated in this meeting of the Casas dos Açores, considering that it has “a particular meaning” and “a very strong symbolism” by be the “legitimate representatives of the Azoreans who live in the archipelago and who were elected by the Azoreans”.

E. Sharp

Oct 11, 2019, 1:36:01 PM10/11/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I don’t remember how I did it but I was able to convert to English on the site but didn’t get much info from it.

“E”.

Sent from my iPhone

Cheri Mello

Oct 11, 2019, 1:42:35 PM10/11/19
to Azores Genealogy
It doesn't sound like a genealogy conference. It says it's a meeting. Kinda sounds like a meeting for big-wigs or the powers that be. Maybe they'll decide to scan more records!

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

JesseAndDeborah Mendonca

Oct 11, 2019, 2:48:07 PM10/11/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
João Ventura,

This news is thrilling!  I have been so impressed by the information about the people and governance of the Azores.  This conference sounds like it concerns the understanding of how those cultural and political ideas evolved.

If I am allowed to ask, is this at all related to the wife of a government official who was charged with the newer record keeping decisions?  Will we get information regarding any changes?

Thank you,

Debbie Shepherd Mendonca

Debbie Shepherd Mendonca
(jessdebmendonca at gmail.comResearching:
1. LUIZ surname— including Luiz de SOUZA, PIMENTEL, Antonio CABRAL, and PEREIRA—on Sao Miguel (Sao Roque, Ponta Delgada) and North Kohala, Hawaii, Hawaii

2. Mendonca and Aguiar Surnames on Madeira (Santana, but perhaps other places); Sao Paulo, Brazil; Hawi. Hawaii, Hawaii; Oakland and San Leandro, California

Cheri Mello

Oct 11, 2019, 3:26:02 PM10/11/19
to Azores Genealogy
There are 2 Joao Venturas on this list. There's the Joao Ventura who is an archivist, lives on Terceira, and works in the archives in Angra. He was responsible for the scanning of the records a few years back (among other things). He has yet to respond to this thread.

Then there's the Joao Ventura who is involved in computer software (I think), lives in Germany, and he was the guy who created Tombo.pt for us. He's the one that made the original post of this thread.

Two different Joaos. So everyone needs to specify if they mean Joao Ventura, the archivist (on Terceira) or Joao Ventura, the computer guy (in Germany).
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

JesseAndDeborah Mendonca

Oct 11, 2019, 10:13:21 PM10/11/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Does not surprise me, Cheri...tons of repeated a 11
   Q names in my ancestry search.  :)

And yes, my comment was directed to Joao the archivist.   We all owe a huge debt to Joao of Tombo fame.   Thank you to both of you.

joaquin mendonca

Oct 12, 2019, 5:45:15 AM10/12/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Casa dos acores is a charity based organization with chapter around the world. There is one close to me in hilmar, ca. It organization seems to do charity work in there respective communities while promoting the Acores culture.

Jack

doreen...@gmail.com

Oct 12, 2019, 10:53:34 AM10/12/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the info. It sounds like it is not appropriate for me, (content= not family genealogy in nature & too advance, mobility- will be difficult, and Language- not in English)

Doreen

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gayle Wood

Oct 12, 2019, 12:44:07 PM10/12/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Joaquin, you must live close to me. I'm in Patterson

João Ventura

Jan 30, 2020, 3:17:05 PM1/30/20
to Azores Genealogy
There aren't much more news, but it seems it will happen in Terceira between 16 and 19th of April.

I have no further information than this. I'm not sure the Azorean government actually wants genealogists there. It seems aimed at how they can leverage it as a source of tourism / income.

João Ventura

Cheri Mello

Jan 30, 2020, 3:34:48 PM1/30/20
to Azores Genealogy
Thanks for the update. That was my first impression as well - It's not intended for genealogists, it's to generate revenue.