Help identifying Azores linkage

Laura Lauer

Sep 1, 2022, 11:36:16 PM9/1/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
My dad did a 23&me test a few years back and it came back as 98% Azorean. He didn't know his parents. His mom he is told passed away of an illness when he was an infant and a year later his dad dropped him off with a couple that regularly babysat him, he never saw or heard from his dad again. He grew up in Oporto and assumes he was born there in 1936 but doesn't have his birth certicate.
Recently a few very distant relatives popped up that share less than .60% of his DNA. We were in Azores this past month (Terceira&SanMiguel) visiting..something he has wanted to do since he found out that is where his Ancestry is saying he is from.
His adoptive parents told him his birth parents names were :
Ezoria Rosa De Oliveira
Zeferino Augusto Camelo

Would greatly appreciate any guidance on where to begin researching.
Laura

Cheri Mello

Sep 1, 2022, 11:49:37 PM9/1/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Laura L,

Oporto is on the mainland, or continent, of Portugal.

The Azores (and Madeira) are autonomous regions of Portugal. Both are archipelagos.

0.6% is pretty darn close to half of 1%. That's not much at all.

For those seeking unknown parentages, they HAVE TO test (or transfer) with all the major DNA testing companies. You don't know where that crucial match will be. Your dad did 23 and Me. He need to also be in Family Tree DNA (or FTDNA), My Heritage, and Ancestry. Those are the major 4 companies he needs to be in. He can directly test with the remaining 3 companies if he wishes. Or he can download his raw data from 23 and Me (link below) and upload it to FTDNA and My Heritage (links below). Ancestry does not allow transfers; one must directly test with them.

Downloading raw data from 23 and Me:

Upload to FTDNA (I suggest you unlock the tools - $19 USD):

Upload to My Heritage (I suggest you unlock the tools - $29 USD) :

Ancestry (it's on sale at the moment for $59 instead of $99. Don't bother with the membership. They have nothing for Portugal or the Azores. Just click the orange "Proceed to Checkout button):

Once you transfer to FTDNA, let me know. There's an Azores DNA Project there and I manage it. I can send you directions on how to join the project. Once your dad is in, I can view his page and give you a better idea of where to look.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada