FW: help with translation

elizabeth migliori

Jul 31, 2022, 1:37:04 PM7/31/22
to azores@googlegroups.com <azores@googlegroups.com>

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-SANTOESPIRITO-O-1733-1758/SMA-VP-SANTOESPIRITO-O-1733-1758_item1/index.html?page=15

Can someone tell me if it lists mothers name for Maria bottom right side?

Father Manuel de Souza died 4 of October 1736 I think?

Or perhaps does it mention husband’s name?

Sent from Mail for Windows

Cheri Mello

Jul 31, 2022, 1:40:34 PM7/31/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Not sure you linked the right image.

The top entry is a continuation from the left page.
The next entry is for Maria and it has a hole in it.
The next blurb is basically a blurb or P.S. for Maria, above.
The last entry is Matheus.

So do you want us looking at Maria or Mateus?
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

JR

Jul 31, 2022, 4:24:28 PM7/31/22
to Azores Genealogy
is this the one?

Maria Velha viuva de Manoel de Souza Pacheco natural desta freguezia de idade de sesenta e seis annos (66 yrs old), poco mais ou menos faleceu da vida prezente com todos os sacramentos da Santa Madre igreja aos 4-Oct-1736 -  no will, her son in law Capt Francisco de Andrade Puim, in the follow up note, arranged for prayers and a mass to be said for her soul. She wore the habit of Sao Francisco and was buried in her own plot.

JR

Liz Migliori

Jul 31, 2022, 6:02:23 PM7/31/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Oh pooo.  I’m sorry. It’s Maria. In the middle kinda on right

Sent from my iPhone

George Sousa

Aug 5, 2022, 10:16:01 AM8/5/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Elizabeth,

That is my read as well (and and at the risk of repeating some of JR's comments) here is how I would summarize the record... Maria Velho died on October 4th 1736. She was a widow at the time of her death and was married to Manuel de Sousa Pacheco. She was 66 years old and as such was likely born circa 1670. The note that follows the obit record indicates that her Son-in-law, Francisco de Andrade Puim (Capitão) fulfilled the promises made at the time of her burial.

I have this couple in my family tree and I've previously located an obit record for a man named Manuel Pacheco who died on November 21 1717. See http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-SANTOESPIRITO-O-1708-1733/SMA-VP-SANTOESPIRITO-O-1708-1733_item1/index.html?page=24. The record indicates that Manuel Pacheco was married however it does not include the name of his wife. With that said, I can't be certain that this is the same person as Manuel de Sousa Pacheco.

Maria Velho and Manuel de Sousa Pacheco had a daughter named Isabel de Sousa who was baptized on December 11th 1694. See http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-SANTOESPIRITO-B-1671-1699/SMA-VP-SANTOESPIRITO-B-1671-1699_item1/index.html?page=56. Isabel de Sousa Married Capitão Francisco de Andrade Puim on October 24th 1724. See http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-SANTOESPIRITO-C-1708-1730/SMA-VP-SANTOESPIRITO-C-1708-1730_item1/index.html?page=49. It is this Son-in-law that is referenced in Maria Velho's obit record.

Hope this helps,
George

Liz Migliori

Aug 5, 2022, 11:28:26 AM8/5/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Wowww
That’s a lot of info. Of course you know (Murphy’s law) that I’m not at home until Monday to check on all this with mine. Hopefully I will remember when I do get home.  I think I remember there being an Isabel.
Thank you in advance. I love hearing the whole thing read out.  I can only figure out names and dates so I know I miss a lot.

Thank you again
Liz

Sent from my iPhone