Los Banos Newspaper and Brazil Immigration Question

Kataryna V

Aug 5, 2022, 5:50:31 PM8/5/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Does anyone have an idea as to how to access Los Banos newspaper records?  I don't believe any from Los Banos, CA are included in newspapers.com. I'm wanting to look up my great uncles who immigrated to Los Banos from Terceira in the early 1920s.

I have a great uncle from Terceira who immigrated to Brazil in the late 20s, early 30s, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips on narrowing down when he actually immigrated? I'm trying to find something from the Brazil side. I've been going through passport registration records on culturacores.azores.gov.pt, but still no luck.

Thank you,

Kataryna

Cheri Mello

Aug 5, 2022, 6:05:15 PM8/5/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Kataryna,

You can check the California Digital Newspaper Collection: https://cdnc.ucr.edu/
You can check Access Newspaper Archives (I have access through both my regional genealogy society and a public library card)
Or try Genealogy Bank www.genealogybank.com (7 day free trial)
Also, Chronicling America at the Library of Congress (free) www.loc.gov/newspapers.

Each has something different. I recently did a speech where I utilized a lot of newspaper research. Although many of the sites overlapped, I did find something different on each one.

There's also the Portuguese-American Digital Newspaper collection (most are in the Portuguese language) that UMass Dartmouth digitized. They have MA, CA, and HI papers:

As to narrowing down when your uncle came to Brazil, you'll have to utilize Brazilian records to create a timeline. Many here on this list research Brazil as well and may have ideas for you.

Also you can look at Isabella Baltar's website here. The home page shows she includes Brasil: https://myportuguesegen.blogspot.com/
image.png
Good luck,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Boyd McKee Kitchen

Aug 5, 2022, 11:50:16 PM8/5/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
FamilySearch indexed many Brazilian immigration records. You might want to see if you can find your great uncle there.

Boyd Kitchen

Eric AR Edgar

Aug 6, 2022, 5:52:17 PM8/6/22
to Azores Genealogy
Try looking in Merced newspapers.
That is the county where Los Banos is.

Eric Edgar

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2022, 8:44:46 PM8/6/22
to Azores Genealogy
I have gotten lucky before with this site, but only if he entered Brasil in Rio de Janeiro.  Click the 'Consulta' link and fill in the search terms on the next page

Kataryna V

Aug 11, 2022, 10:01:09 AM8/11/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for the tips and information!

-Kataryna

Boyd McKee Kitchen

Aug 11, 2022, 3:48:08 PM8/11/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Kataryna,

I found my immigration card when I went to Brazil in 1975. Have you had any luck finding your great uncles brazilian immigration papers? I would be glad to search if you give me his name, birthdate and where in Brazil he immigrated.

Kataryna V

Aug 11, 2022, 7:34:54 PM8/11/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Boyd,

I'm not sure exactly when he immigrated, my guess is that it was sometime in the 20s/30s. I would really appreciate it you are able to give it a look! His name was João da Rocha Nunes or João da Rocha Mendes. Not sure which one will be on his records since I've seen his name written both ways. His birthdate is December 1, 1903 from Santa Barbara, Terceira and he immigrated to Rio de Janeiro.

Thanks!

-Kataryna

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2022, 9:08:06 PM8/11/22
to Azores Genealogy
I looked up his baptism and found it at http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/TER-AH-SANTABARBARA-B-1900-1911/TER-AH-SANTABARBARA-B-1900-1911_item1/index.html?page=169 (bottom left)

It has a margin note that says he got married on registry #262 of 1930.  No location listed so I assume it took place in his home parish or concelho.  I would look at 1930 or later for the immigration unless he left and came back.

Bill Seidler

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2022, 9:21:11 PM8/11/22
to Azores Genealogy
I Found his passport http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/PASSAPORTES-TER-1929-1937/PASSAPORTES-TER-1929-1937_item1/index.html?page=81
(#38 bottom left and #39 top right is his wife, Maria da Conceição Mendes' passport.)

Bill Seidler

Boyd McKee Kitchen

Aug 12, 2022, 6:58:31 PM8/12/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Kataryna,

Here is the two immigration records I found. The first is of a widowed women whose father was Joao de Rocha Mendes. She was born in 1891, and immigrated in 1963 so it appears she was too old to be the daughter of your great uncle, but interestingly, she was from Terceira. https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27F6-92X

Here is the other one which doesn't seem to be your great uncle either: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V1SC-J9L

I could find no immigration records for Joao da Rocha Nunes to Rio.

When I get time, I'll do more research to see if he shows up in any other records in Family Search.

Boyd

Kataryna V

Aug 12, 2022, 7:36:40 PM8/12/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you so much Bill for finding his passport registration! This helps a lot, I'm gald to have a date finally. Thanks Boyd for taking a look on the end of his Brazil visa when he immigrated, I apprecaite it! I'm sure it's out there somewhere, but it'll take some time to dig and find it.

All the best,

Kataryna

Boyd McKee Kitchen

Aug 12, 2022, 10:57:12 PM8/12/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Kataryna,

I looked through more FamilySearch records in Rio for your great uncle but found nothing. We're glad Bill found something.

Boyd