Opinions please

Sam (Camas, WA)

Aug 28, 2019, 3:53:38 PM8/28/19
to genealogy

If one record says the wife, mother, or  grandmother is Joaquina Rosa and one of the other records states her name as Joaquina Umbelina but; her parents and grandparents are the same in all records; am I to think that there are two Joaquinas. One is Joaquina Rosa and the other is Joaquina Umbelina and they are sisters or am I to think that her name is either Joaquina Rosa Umbelina or Joaquina Umbelina Rosa?

Sam (Mazatlán, MX)

Cheri Mello

Aug 28, 2019, 4:01:51 PM8/28/19
to Azores Genealogy
It depends on the record. At the baptism, the mother was not present (at least back in the day). So someone may not have remembered her middle name correctly. Or maybe she changed it for some reason. I make a timeline with all the records she is in and I weigh the evidence from there.
Good luck,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Sam (Camas, WA)

Aug 28, 2019, 4:31:09 PM8/28/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Cheri.  I’ve found this kind of thing many times and it drives me nutso trying to figure out who is who.  This changing or adding names seems to happen fairly frequently. Grrrr….  I guess in using the timeline, you can see if once the name is “changed” it stays changed and if not, one can “suppose” it is two different people?

Sam (Mazatlán, MX)

Pam Santos

Aug 28, 2019, 8:35:20 PM8/28/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I would say same person I have come across different Joaquina with different middle name but to verify look for another baptism with that name

Ângela Loura

Aug 28, 2019, 8:35:20 PM8/28/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I would say it's the same person.
I have a Laurência who shows up as Laurência Rosa, Laurência de Jesus, and finally Laurência Rosa de Jesus.

Also try to find out the death record(s) for your Joaquina.

Bill Seidler

Aug 28, 2019, 10:17:50 PM8/28/19
to Azores Genealogy
Yes the name changes do make it challenging.  I just wanted to point out one marriage from my tree that was written by a priest that seemed to have future genealogist in mind.  It says Rosa da Conceição, ALSO KNOW AS ROSA DOS ANJOS AT HER FIRST MARRIAGE...

I felt lucky on this one that I didn't have to guess that Rosa de Conceição and Rosa dos Anjos were the same person.

Bill Seidler

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 12:53 PM 'Sam (Camas, WA)' via Azores Genealogy <azo...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

If one record says the wife, mother, or  grandmother is Joaquina Rosa and one of the other records states her name as Joaquina Umbelina but; her parents and grandparents are the same in all records; am I to think that there are two Joaquinas. One is Joaquina Rosa and the other is Joaquina Umbelina and they are sisters or am I to think that her name is either Joaquina Rosa Umbelina or Joaquina Umbelina Rosa?

Sam (Mazatlán, MX)

Cheri Mello

Aug 28, 2019, 10:26:27 PM8/28/19
to Azores Genealogy
Wow, you were lucky! Maybe that priest did genealogy! :)

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/2cedb620-1fdd-4283-9736-499b27d6e22c%40googlegroups.com.

Sam (Camas, WA)

Aug 29, 2019, 11:10:52 AM8/29/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Lucky, wow, I’d say that was nothing short of miraculous!   Thanks everyone for your take on this question.  These name changes and combinations drive me to the brink! LOL!

Sam (Mazatlán, MX)

Wow, you were lucky! Maybe that priest did genealogy! :)