Researching Andrade and Mello families in Vila Franca do Campo 1800s

Donna Couto

Aug 22, 2022, 10:51:22 AM8/22/22
to Azores Genealogy
Hi everyone,

My mother and all of her maternal ancestors were born in Vila Franca do Campo (Matriz-S.Miguel parish).

In 1887, my great-great grandfather Fulgencio de Andrade (b. 1863) married Anna Julia Mello (b.1857).

If anyone is researching the Andrade and Mello families in Vila Franca da Campo and can help me find out more about these families, please get in touch.

Thanks,
Donna

Cheri Mello

Aug 22, 2022, 10:54:36 AM8/22/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Donna,
The records for all of the Azores have been scanned by the Azorean Government and uploaded to the CCA website. Use Tombo.pt to navigate. Here's the landing page for the Sao Miguel Arcanjo church in Vila Franca. Click the English flag if you need to navigate in English. https://tombo.pt/f/vfc03
Happy hunting,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Donna Couto

Aug 22, 2022, 12:18:40 PM8/22/22
to Azores Genealogy
Great, thank you Cheri!
I've been using the CCA website and I'm good with navigating in Portuguese and reading the Portuguese records (for the most part!)

Thanks ,
Donna

Joe Matias

Aug 22, 2022, 5:01:06 PM8/22/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I might be able to help.I also have Andrade and Melo families from Vila Franca.
Can you send me an invite to your tree if possible.

JR

Aug 22, 2022, 10:58:11 PM8/22/22
to Azores Genealogy
I guess Joe can help you. But I believe this is your line:

Ancestors of Made up Andrade

Generation No. 1

        1.  Made up Andrade  She was the daughter of 2. Fulgencio de Andrade and 3. Ana Julia de Melo.

Generation No. 2

        2.  Fulgencio de Andrade, born Abt. 1863 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.  He was the son of 4. Jose de Andrade and 5. Maria da Estrela.  He married 3. Ana Julia de Melo 06 Dec 1887 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.

        3.  Ana Julia de Melo, born Abt. 1857 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.  She was the daughter of 6. Victorino Jose de Melo and 7. Antonia Jacinta.

Child of Fulgencio Andrade and Ana Melo is:

        1                 i.    Made up Andrade

Generation No. 3

        4.  Jose de Andrade, born 28 Apr 1822 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca; died Aft. 1877.  He was the son of 8. Antonio de Andrade and 9. Quiteria do Espirito Santo or de Jesus.  He married 5. Maria da Estrela 26 Dec 1841 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.

        5.  Maria da Estrela, born 21 Apr 1821 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca; died Aft. 1877.  She was the daughter of 10. Jose da Costa and 11. Antonia Margarida.

Children of Jose Andrade and Maria are:

        2                 i.    Fulgencio de Andrade, born Abt. 1863 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca; married Ana Julia de Melo 06 Dec 1887 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.

        6.  Victorino Jose de Melo, born in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.  He was the son of 12. Miguel da Costa and 13. Antonia Teresa.  He married 7. Antonia Jacinta 02 Aug 1840 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.

        7.  Antonia Jacinta, born in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.  She was the daughter of 14. Joao Ferreira and 15. Leocadia Rosa.

Child of Victorino Melo and Antonia is:

        3                 i.    Ana Julia de Melo, born Abt. 1857 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca; married Fulgencio de Andrade 06 Dec 1887 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.

Donna Couto

Aug 25, 2022, 8:05:06 PM8/25/22
to Azores Genealogy
Thank you Joe, and thank you JM Roias for helping me fill in some new names and dates (in red).
I'm doing my family tree by hand, and this is the information I have so far for the Andrade and Melo families, starting with my maternal grandmother Maria de Jesus de Andrade.

Maria de Jesus de Andrade, daughter of Fulgencio de Andrade and Ana Julia de Melo.

Generation No. 2

Fulgencio de Andrade, born 22 Mar 1863 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.  Son of Jose de Andrade and Maria da Estrela.  Married Ana Julia de Melo 26 Dec 1887 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.

Ana Julia de Melo, born 26 June 1857 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca, daughter of Victorino Jose de Melo and Antonia Jacinta.

Child of Fulgencio de Andrade and Ana Julia de Melo:

Maria de Jesus de Andrade, born 17 Dec 1888 Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca; died 6 May 1946.

Generation No. 3

Jose de Andrade, born 28 Apr 1822 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca; died 13 Aug 1892.  Son of Antonio de Andrade and Quiteria do Espirito Santo or de Jesus.  Married Maria da Estrela 26 Dec 1841 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.

Maria da Estrela, born 21 Apr 1821 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca; died after 1877.  Daughter of Jose da Costa and Antonia Margarida.

Child of Jose de Andrade and Maria da Estrela:

Fulgencio de Andrade, born 22 Mar 1863 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca; married Ana Julia de Melo 26 Dec 1887 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.

Victorino Jose de Melo, born in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.  He was the son of Miguel da Costa and Antonia Teresa.  He married Antonia Jacinta 02 Aug 1840 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.

Antonia Jacinta, born in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.  She was the daughter of Joao Ferreira and Leocadia Rosa.

Child of Victorino Melo and Antonia:

Ana Julia de Melo, born 26 June 1857 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca; married Fulgencio de Andrade 26 Dec 1887 in Matriz de Sao Miguel, Vila Franca.

JR

Aug 25, 2022, 9:12:27 PM8/25/22
to Azores Genealogy
Hope you know there are three Maria's, all in succession:

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMG-VF-SAOMIGUEL-B-1885-1889/SMG-VF-SAOMIGUEL-B-1885-1889_item1/index.html?page=317

No-172, SMVF baptismos, SMG-VF-SAOMIGUEL-B-1885-1889
Maria, (1st) bap- 22-Dec-1888, born- 17-Dec-1888, filha de Fulgencio de Andrade, camponez and Anna de Jesus, domestica, naturaes e recebidos e parichianos desta freguesia e moradores na Rua do Penedo; Pat Joze de Andrade and Maria da Estrella; Mat- Victorino de Mellao and Antonia de Jesus; padrinho, Francisco Mellao solteiro trabalhador and Maria de Jesus, solteira.

Maria, 17-April-1890

Maria, 16-Dec-1891

You can find all this info in the Vila Franca indices, abt 1800-1900.
Obitos-
Baptismos-
marriages-

I will send you what I have. You should get a genealogy program. Most are free to try, and some you can use without paying - all legal, just no bells and whistles. But the basic info is there. Could save you a lot of work.

JR

Cheri Mello

Aug 25, 2022, 9:24:14 PM8/25/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, because every family needs at least 3 Marias!

Yes, get yourself a genealogy program for your computer. The best one for you is the one that you like and seems easy to use from your perspective. As JR mentioned some have free trials.

Legacy Family Tree (Standard is free): https://legacyfamilytree.com/
RootsMagic (Essentials is free): https://www.rootsmagic.com/  (click on the Try It Free button under the RootsMagic cover).

You can do an internet search about the "best" genealogy software programs. The "best" is going to be the one that you find the best for you.

Good luck,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Joe Matias

Aug 26, 2022, 3:08:00 AM8/26/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Donna Couto

Aug 27, 2022, 10:56:20 AM8/27/22
to Azores Genealogy
Thank you JR and Cheri for your excellent advice about genealogy programs. I do like an old school family tree on poster-sized paper which helps me see the different branches all at one glance, but it's time for a proper program! I have been using the records at the CCA & Tombo which have been very helpful. Thanks for sending the links, JR and Joe.

Yes, I know all 3 Marias! The first Maria (Maria de Jesus, born 17 Dec 1888) is my maternal great-grandmother, the other two are her sisters. My mother's family lived on Rua do Penedo from at least the early-19th century until 1956, when she and her parents and siblings moved to her paternal grandfather's family home in Vila Franca on Travessa de Baixo. My mother was born in 1947 in the same house on Rua do Penedo as her great grandmother. This was an Andrade family home for decades and it's a wonderful location steps from the marina in Vila Franca, and the Morgado factory where they sell the delicious queijadas da Vila! It's a great pity my mother's parents lost this home (what a story that is!)

Thanks again for your help and advice. Yes, please send me what you have JR. I don't always check my gmail account, so my apologies if I don't reply straight away.

All best,
Donna

Donna Couto

Aug 27, 2022, 12:21:00 PM8/27/22
to Azores Genealogy
I just realised there's an error in my previous email. I meant to write: My mother was born in 1947 in the same house as her grandmother (Maria de Jesus, born here in 1888).

Cheri Mello

Aug 27, 2022, 12:25:25 PM8/27/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Donna C,

The great thing about genealogy programs is you can print your pedigree out at any time.

However, you need more research than just a pedigree chart of your parents, grands, greats, etc. You need their siblings and the kids of those siblings. A genealogy program is needed to keep track of it all. JR wouldn't have been able to help you without his genealogy program. Not only does he research his extended family, I believe he has a lot of research on his freguesias of interest, so those include families not related to him. The collaboration of others would not exist if we all researched a pedigree only :)
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Laurie Petrizzi

Aug 30, 2022, 11:11:03 AM8/30/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Ms. Mello,

I am going to Sao Miguel this Thursday  to visit the island from which my grandfather Henry Jacome Correia (Correa) left around 1910 to come to the US.  He was born September 20, 1886. My goal is to find the final resting place of his parents who were Manuel Correia and Antonia Joanna.

I was able to contact a relative of my grandfather’s sister who has been most helpful.  She thinks my grandfather was baptized in Sao Sebastiao and that his parents were to have their funeral mass there as well.  I was told by this cousin that being an island with a limited space, the bodies don’t stay in the cemetery more than seven years.

He was a wealthy man and perhaps they do have a final resting place.

Please help me get the information I need to make my dream of 61 years come true!

Laurie Correa

Cheri Mello

Aug 30, 2022, 11:25:16 AM8/30/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Laurie,

I'm confused. This is about the Andrade and Mello families in Vila Franca and you are talking about a Correia family in Ponta Delgada (Sao Sebastiao church). Which family are you researching?

Your cousin is correct. Policy there is that the bodies stay in a grave for 7 years. The bones are disinterred and placed in an ossuary. The grave is then reused. My cousin (who resides there) says the only exception is if the family chooses to pay. Basically, it's like rent. They pay a yearly fee and the remains may stay for as long as they pay that fee. Then the grave will be reused when the family stops paying.

Even though you state your ancestor was a wealthy man, it sounds like the family there did not continue to pay on his grave, so it has been reused.  Your family there has the answers. If they don't answer you, then his grave has been reused.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Laurie Petrizzi

Aug 30, 2022, 12:52:08 PM8/30/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for getting back to me on this.  I know that you are quite instrumental in getting answers and I didn’t know your direct email so I worked my way into this exchange between you and the other people in Avila Franca.  Sorry for the confusion.