Help reading a record

Maria Silveira

Jul 31, 2022, 10:39:55 AM7/31/22
to Azores Genealogy
Hello, I'm not sure what the word is where it says "recebidos na Egreja de...."?  Can someone say what the following word is?
Thanks,
Maria
Screenshot 2022-07-30 21.08.42.png

Cheri Mello

Jul 31, 2022, 10:48:11 AM7/31/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
"received (married) in the church of Provnestas?? in the United States of America..." The parents were married in America. I'm guessing he tried to translate Providence into Portuguese and is misspelling it. *SOME* records from Rhode Island are online at FamilySearch.
Good luck,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Maria Silveira

Jul 31, 2022, 11:37:56 AM7/31/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank you I thought of Provincetown as well.  Not sure how likely though since that's a touristy place at the tip of cape cod where the mayflower is at.

Cheri Mello

Jul 31, 2022, 11:41:52 AM7/31/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I didn't think of Provincetown. That's in Massachusetts. Many Portuguese settled in Provincetown back in the day. It wasn't all about tourism in the mid-1800s. I think there was a book written about the Portuguese in Provincetown.

You can check on FamilySearch for marriage records in MA and Provincetown.
Good luck,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Maria Silveira

Jul 31, 2022, 1:36:46 PM7/31/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
My grandmother was born in Boston so that's why I'm primarily thinking of Massachusetts.  These were her parents.  Her siblings show up on the Portuguese records but she does not.  They put a question mark as to where her siblings were born.  I was told they had gone back to the Azores to visit but according to this record they were there for a while.

Screenshot 2022-07-31 08.53.53.png

Maria Silveira

Jul 31, 2022, 1:36:51 PM7/31/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info. about Provincetown.  I'll have to check their records then.

Maria Silveira

Jul 31, 2022, 1:36:58 PM7/31/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I'm sorry they put a question mark at the name.  It seems they were from the Azores.