Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Cheri Mello

no leída,
29 ago 2019, 19:32:0329/8/19
a Azores Genealogy,madeira-...@googlegroups.com,Island...@googlegroups.com
(Cross posted to Azores, Madeira, IslandRoutes lists)

A few years back (about 2013-2014), Family Tree DNA (FTDNA) did a survey, asking for background information which they then incorporated into their ethnicity estimates. Only 25 people of Portuguese descent answered. That was all. "Portuguese" then had to cover Portugal, Azores, Madeira, and Brazil. Only 25 people! And of course many people did not match those 25 in the population sample. And of course people were disappointed with their ethnicity estimates.

If you would like more accurate results for the Azores, Madeira, Portugal, Brazil (or any other country), NOW is the time. Family Tree DNA has created a new Family Ancestry Survey. You need to have ordered Family Finder, transferred over to FTDNA (from Ancestry, My Heritage, 23 and Me), or you have a Family Finder test on order.

1) Open your genealogy program and have the main person be the same as the test person (I did my dad because he's half Portuguese). It helps as a reference if you are answering for someone else.
2) Log directly into the kit with the kit number and password.
3) Scroll down the left column looking for the survey and click it:
image.png

There are only 4 questions. And it's clunky and not intuitive.

It asks which ethnicity the test taker's father's father was from. So the test taker's paternal grandfather. If you start typing "Portuguese" it will suggest "Europe - Portuguese." Then it asks for the country. The Azores nor Madeira is a country, so you pick Portugal. Then it asks for other group affiliation details. Here you can put something like "Born in the Azores, Sao Miguel island" or "Born in Madeira."

It then repeats the process for the test taker's paternal grandmother, maternal grandfather, and maternal grandmother.

However, if you have something that's plain old American, it becomes difficult. My dad's maternal half has been in America for a couple of hundred years (at least). So when it wants his maternal grandfather's ethnicity, that would be American. Nope, that was not an option. Neither was Caucasian. I finally picked Europe - English even though he was a blend of the British Isles (English, Irish, Scottish). For his birth place, it allowed United States of America. Then for other group affiliation details, I put "Born in Kansas."

So please, Please, PLEASE answer the survey so we can have more accurate results for our corner of the world. Don't let another 5 years (or so) go by!

(No, I don't know when the survey will end and they will stop collecting results.)
Cheri Mello, Family Tree DNA Admin (volunteer)

Sam (Camas, WA)

no leída,
29 ago 2019, 19:50:3329/8/19
a azo...@googlegroups.com

Ok Cher, here is where I show my total lack of knowledge.  Do I put Portugal of Kingdom of Portugal Algraves?  Those are the choices, plus Timor which I know isn’t what I want.  My grandparents were born in the Azores.

Sam (Mazatlán, MX)

[...]

29 ago 2019, 19:55:5329/8/19
a Azores Genealogy
Put plain old Portugal. Thanks!!!
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Rosemarie Capodicci

no leída,
29 ago 2019, 19:56:5829/8/19
a azo...@googlegroups.com
This is great except that they are not allowing Azores, Portugal, Azores Island, Portugal just Portugal!!! Still is not going to show our correct spot on the Portuguese ladder!!

Rosemarie
Researching Sao Jorge, Terceira, Graciosa, Faial and Pico, Azores,
Isola delle Femmine, Sant' Elia, Sicily

--

Cheri Mello

no leída,
29 ago 2019, 19:59:5529/8/19
a Azores Genealogy
Because the Azores, nor Madeira are countries. Portugal is the country. You put Azores under "Other Group Affliate Details." I put "Born in Azores, Sao Miguel island."

I'll do another one and screen shot it.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

no leída,
29 ago 2019, 20:05:3529/8/19
a Azores Genealogy
Here's the paternal grandfather. Yours may vary.

The first 2 are from a drop down menu (with the red checkmarks). The top one, I started typing "Portuguese" and it came up. The 2nd question, I started typing Portugal and it had a variety, so I picked basic Portugal, because the Azores (and Madeira) belonged to Portugal. The 3rd part (with no check mark) was where I got to put my specific input. So I put Azores there and gave them the island. I'm not sure that they'll go that far with it though.

image.png
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Elaine Mello

no leída,
1 sept 2019, 20:27:441/9/19
a Azores Genealogy

thanks for the head's up on this, Cheri.

All done on my end.

MaryAnn Santos

no leída,
3 sept 2019, 10:50:563/9/19
a azo...@googlegroups.com
Ditto for me!

MaryAnn

On Sun, Sep 1, 2019 at 8:27 PM Elaine Mello <emell...@gmail.com> wrote:

thanks for the head's up on this, Cheri.

All done on my end.

MaryAnn Santos
Senior Advisement and Student Affairs Administrator
Department of Art and Art Professions
NYU/Steinhardt

Follow us at
Twitter / @NYUart
Instagram / @nyuart

Facebook / NYU Art Department

doreen...@gmail.com

no leída,
3 sept 2019, 12:23:093/9/19
a azo...@googlegroups.com

Did mine and all the accounts I manage.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gordon soares

no leída,
3 sept 2019, 13:02:053/9/19
a azo...@googlegroups.com
Me too…
Gordon

lunamarc

no leída,
3 sept 2019, 21:44:293/9/19
a Azores Genealogy
Working on mine right now. One thing, I have an incognito. So, I assume the same ethnic group and country but not quite sure if same island. Or he may have been a sailor?

Cheri Mello

no leída,
3 sept 2019, 21:47:143/9/19
a Azores Genealogy
If one of your grandparents is an incognito, you can click Unknown. It basically tells you that they don't want unknowns. From a population geneticist's point-of-view, that makes sense. They are trying to build population samples out of known populations to compare the rest of their customers with.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

no leída,
11 oct 2019, 14:28:1411/10/19
a Azores Genealogy,madeira-...@googlegroups.com,Island...@googlegroups.com
(Cross posted to Azores, Madeira, and IslandRoutes lists)

Just a reminder if you have not yet done so, please fill out the Family Ancestry Survey (for FTDNA customers) on your personal DNA page. Here's the original post and where they now have placed the Family Ancestry survey under the new design of your FTDNA page.

[...]

It asks which ethnicity the test taker's father's father was from. So the test taker's paternal grandfather. If you start typing "Portuguese" it will suggest "Europe - Portuguese." Then it asks for the country. Neither the Azores nor Madeira is a country (they are autonomous regions), so you pick Portugal. Then it asks for other group affiliation details. Here you can put something like "Born in the Azores, Sao Miguel island" or "Born in Madeira."

It then repeats the process for the test taker's paternal grandmother, maternal grandfather, and maternal grandmother.

However, if you have something that's plain old American, it becomes difficult. My dad's maternal half has been in America for a couple of hundred years (at least). So when it wants his maternal grandfather's ethnicity, that would be American. Nope, that was not an option. Neither was Caucasian. I finally picked Europe - English even though he was a blend of the British Isles (English, Irish, Scottish). For his birth place, it allowed United States of America. Then for other group affiliation details, I put "Born in Kansas."

So please, Please, PLEASE answer the survey so we can have more accurate results for our corner of the world. Don't let another 5 years (or so) go by!

If you did the survey, the link on your page is gone.

(No, I don't know when the survey will end and they will stop collecting results.)
Cheri Mello, Family Tree DNA Admin (volunteer)

Shantel Ielasi

no leída,
13 oct 2019, 23:56:5713/10/19
a azo...@googlegroups.com
Ok I just did the survey. Hope it helps.

Sent from my iPhone

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 4:31 PM Cheri Mello <gfsc...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Responder a todos
Responder al autor