Looking for birth record of grandmother

Charlene Bowden

Jul 11, 2022, 12:01:46 AM7/11/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I am trying to find the record of our grandmother's birth on 27 May 1925 at 30 Rua Serpa Pinto Horta, Faial.

Her name was June Mivanwy Jeffery.
Her father was Donald Reed Jeffery.

She was born to British parents who registered her with the British consulate, however there seems to be no official trace of her birth on the Portuguese side.

Any help would be appreciated.

Charlene.

Cheri Mello

Jul 11, 2022, 12:13:05 AM7/11/22
to Azores Genealogy
If she was registered with the British consulate in Horta, on Faial, that's probably the only place they registered her. I doubt her birth would be at the Civil Registry in Horta.

If they were Catholic, they could have had her baptized and one of the churches would have that record.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Charlene Bowden

Jul 13, 2022, 10:53:04 AM7/13/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Azorean Island Girl Connie Raposo

Jul 14, 2022, 12:00:14 AM7/14/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Cheri
I'm writing you,  to ask you about passport record's- such as boarding a ship from Port in the Azores and how much time in advance do our ancestors needed to give the ship or town to retain a spot on the ship to come to America?. How was the process?. I'm a little confused, since I haven't been researching in a while. I'm still learning how to research and am getting stuck.

Regards,
Maria Connie Raposo

JesseAndDeborah Mendonca

Jul 14, 2022, 12:08:09 AM7/14/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I knew the ship my husband’s father came on to Hawaii in 1906.  I found the date of departure from the Azores, so I went back 3 months and started moving toward the departure date… only to find out they got their passports the day before departure!    I recommend moving back from the date of departure.

Azorean Island Girl Connie Raposo

Jul 14, 2022, 10:44:42 AM7/14/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Cheri Mello

Jul 14, 2022, 10:56:42 AM7/14/22
to Azores Genealogy
Connie,

I have no idea of the process our ancestors went through to register and eventually depart. I can only address the records that we have access to.

If you find your ancestor arrived in America on July 4, 1900, then go to the Azorean passaportes and start looking on July 4th, working your way back in time. I seem to remember Joao Ventura telling us in Salt Lake that the vast majority registered within 2 months of departure. I'm sure there are outliers and a few registered before that.

Most left from their home port. Ponta Delgada on Sao Miguel had those departing from S. Miguel and Santa Maria. This is the port that those going to Hawaii had to use. Then we have Angra on the island of Terceira. Mostly those from Terceira, probably Graciosa and some Sao Jorge island used Angra. Horta on Faial had a port. Pico and Faial used this port and possible some Sao Jorge. The records exist for these 3 ports with Horta's being fully in tact with no missing records. Ponta Delgada and Angra have a few gaps. The passaportes for the island Flores (and Corvo) are completely missing.

If an ancestor had to get to America right away, they could have left Pico on a smaller boat and gone over to Sao Miguel if that was the next boat going to America. They could use any port they wanted. The majority used their home port though, so start there.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Azorean Island Girl Connie Raposo

Jul 14, 2022, 1:01:38 PM7/14/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank Cheri , I am trying to learn these things. I use to research documents at my bank and was good at it. But now 57 and not doing that work I forget the process and how to do it. Somethings are easy to remember and other's if no use in your life you tend to lose it.

Regards,
Maria Connie Raposo