1900's Sao Pedro, Vila do Porto, Santa Maria

Sam (Camas, WA)

Sep 6, 2019, 8:23:57 PM9/6/19
to genealogy

Need help with this side note please.  I think it says Manoel dos Reis6 died while married to Maria de Espiritu Santo Resendes but; I can’t find the death date and I think I see another name in there but; not sure what it is or who it is.  I see 15 Nov 1924 at the bottom but; he was born 29 Oct 1900.  Did he die shortly after marrying?  Thanks everyone for your help.  It’s #29 Manoel, bottom right and on to next page.

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-SAOPEDRO-B-1900-1906/SMA-VP-SAOPEDRO-B-1900-1906_item1/P18.html

Sam (Mazatlán, MX)

Ângela Loura

Sep 6, 2019, 10:28:30 PM9/6/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com, Sam (Camas, WA)
Hard to read.

- Foi-lhe passada a cédula pessoal nº 161842. Vila do Porto, 9 de Outubro de 1924 (signature)
- the next i don't understand what it says after «faleceu no lugar (???...)». The wife was indeed Maria do Espirito Santo Resendes, her father looks like Francisco Resendes Curvelo and the mother Aurélia/Amélia Izabel Coelho. The date looks like «catorze de novembro de 1927». signed Vila do Porto 15 Nov 1927.

Sam (Camas, WA)

Sep 7, 2019, 12:23:04 PM9/7/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Angela, Thank you for this.  Really appreciate getting her parents names.

Can anyone else make out what it says after faleceu no lugar?

I’ll find the link to the other one and send it on.

Thanks again,

Sam (Mazatlán, MX)

Cheri Mello

Sep 7, 2019, 12:47:55 PM9/7/19
to Azores Genealogy
Lugar de Scribble Scrabble. It looks like 2 words, but may be one. Tish Meals, do you have a contact on Santa Maria who might be more familiar with the local neighborhoods of Santa Maria?
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Sam (Camas, WA)

Sep 7, 2019, 1:10:51 PM9/7/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for your input Cheri and for giving a shout out to cousin Trish!

Sam (Mazatlán, MX)

Margaret Vicente

Sep 7, 2019, 3:09:17 PM9/7/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Faleceu na freguesia de São Pedro.  He passed away in Vila do Porto Parish of São Pedro.

Margaret

Sent from my iPhone

Sam (Camas, WA)

Sep 7, 2019, 4:14:52 PM9/7/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Margaret;  Thank you.  I appreciate your help.

Sam (Mazatlán, MX)

Faleceu na freguesia de São Pedro.  He passed away in Vila do Porto Parish of São Pedro.

Margaret

Cheri Mello

Sep 7, 2019, 5:12:39 PM9/7/19
to Azores Genealogy
I still see "lugar da ........ da cidade...."
image.png
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Ângela Loura

Sep 7, 2019, 5:13:24 PM9/7/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Margaret,

Just to be sure, you read the sidenote for # 29? It looks like it says something as "Cidade", that's really twisting my head...

Margaret Vicente

Sep 7, 2019, 5:42:08 PM9/7/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Thanks, Cheri and Angela for the heads up.  I was wondering why it was coming to me so easy…I read the opposite record.

As far as I can tell, the place is out of the Country.  I’m going to write what I see and then translate to I understand it to mean:

Cheri, the area you highlighted:  no lugar de ane nalu na Cidade no estado de ourado

My interpretation: in the Ananalu /Honolulu place, city of the Golden State.

Margaret

I still see "lugar da ........ da cidade...."

Cheri Mello

Sep 7, 2019, 5:57:40 PM9/7/19
to Azores Genealogy
California is known as "The Golden State" and Hawaii is "The Aloha State," but I don't know those terms were in use in 1905ish. Hawaii may have had another name, but I don't think it was the "Golden State" (since California had the gold rush in the mid-1800s). I'll have to ask Kalani what he knows about the history of Hawaii's slogans. Who knows, things evolve over time!
Cheri MelloT

Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

TERESA Phillips

Sep 7, 2019, 9:04:31 PM9/7/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hawaii didn't get the nickname Aloha State until the late 1950's.  If I remember what Keith (better half born and raised on Maui) has taught me the Hawaiian Islands were originally referred to as the Sandwich Islands starting in the late 1700's.  They were also often referred to as the Cook Islands due to James Cook's "discovery" (she says tongue in cheek) of them.

Teresa Phillips
Researching Sao Miguel; Medeira

Cheri Mello

Sep 7, 2019, 9:13:44 PM9/7/19
to Azores Genealogy
Yes, I knew about Sandwich and Cook's islands. And in the passaportes they are referred to as the Sandwich Isles. Who knows what that scribe meant. Too much vinho. It's just not limited to the guys writing the records!

Gayle Machado

I still see "lugar da ........ da cidade...."

<E1853D2946AD4D50A58027A61F801F4E.png>

Cheri Mello

Sep 8, 2019, 9:53:02 PM9/8/19
to Azores Genealogy
I called my 85 year old dad. I asked him what was the nickname of California. He said the Golden State. I asked him "since when" and he said ever since he was a kid, because of the 1849ners and the gold rush. I asked my dad if he had any of those pennants that he used to collect as a kid that had Golden State written on them and instead he took me down the rabbit hole of his childhood bedroom with maybe 2 walls of those felt pennants plastered on them. LOL

I called Kalani and he said Hawaii was never known as the Golden State. So who knows what that scribe meant!
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Ângela Loura

Sep 8, 2019, 11:14:18 PM9/8/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com, Sam (Camas, WA)
I think i finally got it

«O individuo a
que se refere este re-
gisto de nome Ma-
nuel de Reis, fale-
ceu no lugar da
sua naturalidade
no estado de casa-
do com Maria do
Espirito Santo Re-
zendes, filha de Fran-
cisco Rezendes Cur-
velo e de Aurélia/Amélia(?)
Izabel Coelho(?), natu-
rais desta freguezia
[???????????]
dia catorze de novem-
bro de mil novecentos
e vinte e sete.
 Vila do Porto 15 de
novembro de 1927»
signature

Cheri Mello

Sep 8, 2019, 11:17:11 PM9/8/19
to Azores Genealogy
That makes sense. 100%!

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Margaret Vicente

Sep 8, 2019, 11:22:06 PM9/8/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Bill Seidler

Sep 8, 2019, 11:49:02 PM9/8/19
to Azores Genealogy
Great determination Ángela!  I was completely hung up on that saying "cidade"  But do you realize that we end up with Margeret even being right when she reads the wrong record.

Gayle Machado

Sep 9, 2019, 12:59:07 AM9/9/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Did some more reading. Apparently, CA has been known as The El Dorado State, the Land of Milk and Honey State and even The Grape State. Who knew.  But, articles don’t provide dates.

Gayle

Cheri Mello

Sep 9, 2019, 1:02:42 AM9/9/19
to Azores Genealogy
Hmmm, I'll run that by my dad tomorrow. He'll say he'll remember a couple of them! LOL

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Liz Migliori

Sep 9, 2019, 12:49:54 PM9/9/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
That’s what I really like about you Cheri you leave no stone unturned.

Sent from my iPhone

Cheri Mello

Sep 9, 2019, 12:57:46 PM9/9/19
to Azores Genealogy
I that comment was for Angela, as she is the one who figured it out!

By-the-way, I called my dad (he's 85) on the state nicknames. He said no, no, and no to the ones Gayle suggested. And then I got a lesson on when there was a boon in California after the dust bowl and WWII work. LOL
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Sam (Camas, WA)

Sep 9, 2019, 2:29:17 PM9/9/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Thank you all for all your work on this very confusing scribble!  Cheri;  I’m old enough to remember “The Land of Milk and Honey”!  Your dad sounds like a font of information!  😊

Sam (Mazatlán, MX)