Question regarding the meaning of: Velho

Visto 29 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

Sam (Camas, WA)

no leída,
24 ago 2019, 18:53:4124/8/19
a genealogy

Good afternoon everyone; I have a question regarding the word/name: Velho.  When you see it after someone’s name without a comma, is it a part of the name or just it mean, “the elder” or something like that.

Thanks for your responses,

Sam (Mazatlán, MX)

Deb McCabe

no leída,
24 ago 2019, 19:51:2024/8/19
a 'Sam (Camas, WA)' via Azores Genealogy
Hi Sam,

When I encountered the name without a comma, I was told it was an alcunha meaning old.  Others more experienced than I may weigh in with other info.

Deb

When I searched for ancestors, I found friends!

Ângela Loura

no leída,
24 ago 2019, 20:11:5324/8/19
a azo...@googlegroups.com
It depends on the case. Sometimes it was only used to mention the elder person with X name, and sometimes it became a last name just like some nicknames do.

--

Elizabeth Migliori

no leída,
25 ago 2019, 0:17:3225/8/19
a azo...@googlegroups.com
I have that also in several of mine. Sometimes even O Velho

Sent from my iPad

JR

no leída,
25 ago 2019, 0:53:4725/8/19
a Azores Genealogy
O Velho, is definitely, the elder. However, Velho is a very old legitimate surname. So I would agree, if the name is prefaced by a comma, it means the elder. If there is no comma, it is a surname. Velho as a surname predates the written church records. The name appears to have fallen out of favour and is hardly used any more, at least based on what I see in the later 1800-1899 records. Though I could be wrong. Frei Goncalo Velho Cabral was the discoverer of the Azores and the first Capitao Donatario of Sao Miguel and Santa Maria. He was the son of Fernao Velho, who was Knight of Santiago. Ilha de St Maria has many Velho names. This all from the the first edition of Rodrigo Rodrigues.

JR

'Sam (Camas, WA)' via Azores Genealogy <azo...@googlegroups.com> escreveu no dia sábado, 24/08/2019 à(s) 23:53:

Good afternoon everyone; I have a question regarding the word/name: Velho.  When you see it after someone’s name without a comma, is it a part of the name or just it mean, “the elder” or something like that.

Thanks for your responses,

Sam (Mazatlán, MX)

Sam (Camas, WA)

no leída,
25 ago 2019, 15:40:3025/8/19
a azo...@googlegroups.com

Thank you everyone for your thoughts on my question of Velho, O Velho, etc.  The various uses of names, parts of names, etc. in the records sometimes makes me want to give up.  Who knew the journey this hunt for ancestors would take me on! LOL!

Muito Obrigado,

Sam (Mazatlán, MX)

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/cdfad36a-f7c2-4b9a-9d1c-b8db289c4980%40googlegroups.com.

Liz Migliori

no leída,
25 ago 2019, 22:20:2925/8/19
a azo...@googlegroups.com
Oh no.  Now I’m gonna have to go back and look them all up again to see if there was a comma or not

Sent from my iPhone
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to azores+un...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/cdfad36a-f7c2-4b9a-9d1c-b8db289c4980%40googlegroups.com.
Responder a todos