help

Gordon soares

Aug 14, 2019, 4:28:58 PM8/14/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I have found the ship my grandmother immigrated on and the date but can’t seem to find the ship passenger list.

Marcelina Gaspar Soares sailed on SS Dona Maria on June18,1902.
The SS Dona seems to have a few lists but not that date so I am guessing it is an arrival date that is on her immigration papers. What do you think?

I also need to find her husband (my grandfather) Manuel Machado Soares who applied for naturalization on June 20,1901 but apparently didn’t complete the process since my grandmother (above) indicates on her naturalization papers that her husband was not naturalized. Any suggestions on how to find his ship or other immigration info for him. He came from Pico.

Gordon

Margaret Vicente

Aug 14, 2019, 5:30:44 PM8/14/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/FD225858-37E7-4A3D-B904-154D01F1DACA%40gmail.com.

Cheri Mello

Aug 14, 2019, 7:09:26 PM8/14/19
to Azores Genealogy
Gordon,

On the American Arrival Records (or American Passenger Lists), they typical state the date they arrived in the U.S. To the best of their memory, that is. And as Margaret pointed out, the memory was a little off.  Cheri
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Joe Matias

Aug 14, 2019, 7:09:47 PM8/14/19
to azores

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 5:04 PM Joe Matias <joe.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Where was she from..I might be able to help

Rich Mueller

Aug 14, 2019, 7:10:06 PM8/14/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Margaret, I haven't had to ask a question on my wife's side of our family but I have noticed that you are absolutely amazing at helping folks when they get stuck. Mahalo!

E malama pono
Rich Mueller

"Few will have the greatness to bend history itself; but each of us can work to change a small portion of events, and in the total of all those acts will be written the history of this generation." - Robert F. Kennedy

Margaret Vicente

Aug 14, 2019, 11:13:52 PM8/14/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Mahalo, Rich.

Just to say thank you.  The great thing about being in a group is that all of the other members are also at a ready to help and assist.  There are a few I could name 😊.   None-the-less your email is very  much appreciated, thank you!

Happy to assist if and when you will have a question.

Cheers,

Margaret

Comcast

Aug 15, 2019, 1:16:03 PM8/15/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I need help badly,and currently looking for my grandmother my mother's mother who died here in the USA when my mother was 3 years old. All we know about her from her death cert it says that Anna Cabral was the daughter of Antonio Cabral Silva and Anna Luciana from St Michaels Azores and she was born in 1879. I looked for her birth based on that info and came up empty. Currently trying to find a marriage for Antonio and Anna Luciana. Thanks for any help from anyone. My email is pj...@comcast.net

Thanks,Paul

Sent from my iPad

Gordon soares

Aug 15, 2019, 1:47:21 PM8/15/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Margaret:
As usual you are amazing at finding these documents.I’m having trouble reading the column headings and all the scratch scratch in the last couple of columns.What they heck is that?
I have the marriage certificate for my grandparents…It created a great deal of angst for my father when he found out his mother and dad both had incognitos. Kind of unnerving in his day, I guess.
Do you think if the ship my grandmother was on—the SS Dona Maria—landed in New York would she be listed in Ellis Island?
Finally, how do I find Manuel Machado Soares’ ship manifest like you did for Marcelina?
Gordon

Cheri Mello

Aug 15, 2019, 1:48:24 PM8/15/19
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Paul,

You have to have a freguesia in order to start researching over there. Sao Miguel island has over 70 churches to wade through.

Have you tried every single thing here (and really, I mean every single thing):

It took me 4 years and 25 documents (going through every single thing I could find) before I figured out the freguesia. This was all B.C. though (Before Computers).

And while you are trying every single thing, you need to do DNA. You just don't know what you don't know. Suppose your 2nd cousin once removed with a tree of 10,000 people took a DNA test? That cousin would have your freguesia and then you wouldn't have to go through every single suggestion and you could go straight to a freguesia. DNA is on sale this month too: https://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=AzoresIslands
You want the Family Finder test ($59 USD + $12.95 S&H - includes return postage back to the lab if you are a U.S. resident). If your mother is alive, test her. If she is not alive, test one of her siblings. If none of them are alive, test yourself.

Good luck!
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Margaret Vicente

Aug 15, 2019, 2:18:08 PM8/15/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Hello Gordon,

The last Couple of columns, starting at the very last, are: Observations [here they record physical characteristics], next is, Nome de Navio/Ship’s Name.

Some times findings turn out some surprises but that’s how it was.  Sorry, can’t answer your question about the port of arrival but if you say it’s New York, most likely you will find them in Ellis Island records.

Actually, Joe Matias was the one who found your grandmother Marcelina’s passport.  The link below is for your grandfather Manuel.  I won’t post the link here to avoid confusion, but please do check your email for his message to you.

Margaret

Aug 15, 2019, 2:30:01 PM8/15/19
to Azores Genealogy
American arrival records can be tricky. It was up to the captain to decide which ports people would be counted at (see John P. Coletta's "They Came In Ships" and Michael C. Tepper's "American Arrival Records" for further discussion). The captain could have sailed to NY (before 1890/1891 it was Castle Garden, after that date, it was Ellis Island), said everybody off, and they were counted there. Or he could have said only those whose destination was NY get off and those going to New Bedford, etc, may stay on the ship. My ancestor sailed into NY, but disembarked in New Bedford. She's counted in NY. And then again, the immigrant my say that they immigrated to NY because that's where they first saw America, regardless of where they actually disembarked. So you have to check multiple ports.

The Morton Allen Directory lists all the ships and dates coming into NY.

Your local public library has all the books that I've mentioned.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Comcast

Aug 15, 2019, 6:05:41 PM8/15/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thank, you for that info,and I sent my DNA  two weeks ago. Sorry to say but just myself and one cousin are the only ones left. All that I know is on her death certificate it says that she was from St. Michaels and there is no one I can turn to for any more info.

Thanks Paul

Sent from my iPad

Cheri Mello

Aug 15, 2019, 6:09:36 PM8/15/19
to Azores Genealogy
Paul,

Great, and be sure to join the Azores DNA Project on FTDNA (email me at gfscherim at gmail.com if you need directions). And we play wait-and-see. (The longest game ever invented).

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Azorean Island Girl Connie Raposo

Aug 15, 2019, 8:33:46 PM8/15/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Gordon,
I think I have those name's on my family tree. Let me look into it and get back to you.