Accuracy of Geni.com

doreen...@gmail.com

May 12, 2019, 1:41:21 PM5/12/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Happy Mother’s Day.

I’m looking into the Royal and Noble lines of Portugal. I have been looking at the Geni.com. I’m wondering about the accuracy of the information. Does anyone in the group have an opinion on this subject? I wanting to use it in my tree but maybe I should just copy and file it under personal notes. What do you think?

Sincerely,

Doreen Caetano

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Cheri Mello

May 12, 2019, 2:37:21 PM5/12/19
to Azores Genealogy
It's user input. Same as Ancestry.com. You could put your parents as Popeye the Sailor and Olive Oil. People will copy it.
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Ângela Loura

May 12, 2019, 2:56:42 PM5/12/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Doreen, once you start merging your info with other peoples trees you lose control of your own information and people can edit it.

Cheri Mello

May 12, 2019, 3:02:40 PM5/12/19
to Azores Genealogy
I think only on Family Search's "One World Family Tree" (or whatever they call it) allows editing by anyone. And WikiTrees allows editing by anyone as well. Ancestry, My Heritage, and Geni have some type of trees managed by an individual. Kalani's view of Geni is worse than that of Ancestry's trees. I can't print what he calls them. I'll have to ask him why next time I see him.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Denise

May 12, 2019, 4:26:20 PM5/12/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I don't like the Geni trees either. Especially for our Portuguese ancestors that often have same names. People merge them into their own tree and as mentioned you lose control.

Denise D'Antona

doreen...@gmail.com

May 13, 2019, 9:35:41 AM5/13/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Thank you for your input. One more question. What about Info from Wiki?

Doreen

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

doreen...@gmail.com

May 13, 2019, 9:38:35 AM5/13/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

My last question was not clear. When I said Wiki I mean the articles and the diagrams they have for the royal lines.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

May 13, 2019, 1:15:15 PM5/13/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Doreen,

Where did you locate the royal lines?  I would be interested in seeing them if they are accurate.

Debbie.

Cheri Mello

May 13, 2019, 1:15:25 PM5/13/19
to Azores Genealogy
If it's WikiTrees, I'm pretty sure that's user created content. If they have sourcing, go to the source. If there's no sourcing, then view it as "amusing" or something.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

doreen...@gmail.com

May 14, 2019, 10:14:46 AM5/14/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Will do. Thank you for the advice.