1701 Marriage of Domingos Velho and Joana Fernandes, Santa Barbara, Island of Santa Maria

Bill Seidler

Aug 27, 2019, 2:00:04 AM8/27/19
to Azores Genealogy
Can someone please help with this record.

http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-SANTABARBARA-C-1648-1716/SMA-VP-SANTABARBARA-C-1648-1716_item1/P62.html (left side)

Groom's parents: Manuel Fernandes da Silva and Maria ???

Bride's parents: Francisco ?Cruvelho? and his wife ??? ???.

Thank you,
Bill Seidler

Bill Seidler

Aug 27, 2019, 3:39:04 AM8/27/19
to Azores Genealogy
I think this might be the marriage of the groom's parents: http://culturacores.azores.gov.pt/biblioteca_digital/SMA-VP-SANTABARBARA-C-1648-1716/SMA-VP-SANTABARBARA-C-1648-1716_item1/P15.html (upper left starting on previous page)

What I think I see is:

Manuel Fernandes, son of Andre Fernandes da Silva and Anna Velha (deceased) marrying Maria Velha daughter of Antonio Velho da Costa and Breatis (Beatris?) George.

Reading around the torn pages, the date is the fifteenth of some month in 1657 or Jan of 1658.

I appreciate any other insight or opinions.

Thanks,
Bill Seidler

Ângela Loura

Aug 27, 2019, 1:31:48 PM8/27/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Manuel Fernandes da Silva & Maria Velha
Francisco Curvelo & Jerónima Fernandes

Ângela Loura

Aug 27, 2019, 1:31:55 PM8/27/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
You got the names on the record right.

I took a look at the RR book, and it says:

(...) Baltazar Velho, era filho de Domingos Velho e de Joana Fernandes (casados em Santa Bárbara, de Santa Maria a 24.10.1701), ele filho de Manuel Fernandes da Silva (filho de Francisco Vaz Delgado e Catarina Gonçalves) e de Maria Velho (casados em Santa Bárbara em 1647) e esta última filha de Sebastião Velho Botelho e Maria da Fonte. Joana Fernandes (mãe de Baltazar Velho) era filha de Francisco Curvelo e Jerónima Fernandes (casados em Santa Bárbara em 1658) ele filho de Manuel Curvelo e de Maria da Fonte, e ela filha de António Velho e Margarida da Fonte.

Bill Seidler

Aug 27, 2019, 7:49:20 PM8/27/19
to Azores Genealogy
Thank you so much!  I'm going to have to see if I can obtain the RR book I've heard so much about.

Bill Seidler
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to azo...@googlegroups.com.

Bill Seidler

Aug 29, 2019, 5:04:02 AM8/29/19
to Azores Genealogy
Now that I've had a chance to digest this outstanding (yet disappointing) information, it seems that I found the wrong Manuel Fernandes da Silva married to the wrong Maria Velha.  The couple, with same names, that I need, according to RR married in 1647 is Santa Barbara where the first Casamento book starts in 1648.  The one I found took place ten years later and both newlyweds have different parents than the Manuel Fernandes da Silva and Maria Velha given by RR.

I am hoping for some advice on how to proceed.

Bill Seidler

Eliseu Pacheco da Silva

Aug 29, 2019, 10:48:29 AM8/29/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bill,

I do have the same problem you have. One thing to be considered is may be he married twice…

Eliseu

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/2a3135ac-5ef8-4a87-a691-a129764a8078%40googlegroups.com.

Margaret Vicente

Aug 29, 2019, 12:13:59 PM8/29/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com

Hi Bill,

According to RR’s information entered in prior email;  Balazar Velho son of Domingos Velho, son of Manuel Fernandes da Silva, son of Francisco Vaz Delgado and Catarina Goncalves.

The archives have files that include tree reconstructions of various work notes including that of RR’s.  Have a look at # 57.  You may be able to request/order copies.

http://www.arquivos.azores.gov.pt/details?id=1557252&ht=maria

If RR and others reconstructed your Ancestor’s family, it leads me to believe that Rodrigo Rodrigues reference chapter posted in Angela’s email is probably all there is.

Margaret

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/2a3135ac-5ef8-4a87-a691-a129764a8078%40googlegroups.com.

Bill Seidler

Aug 29, 2019, 4:18:01 PM8/29/19
to Azores Genealogy
Thanks again to Margaret and this outstanding group.

Bill

Ângela Loura

Aug 29, 2019, 5:09:25 PM8/29/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Great job Margaret!
It reminded me that there's also available online the book of Carlos Machado, with some lines regarding Santa Maria: