Looking for background on relatives please help

Horace Mello

Oct 9, 2018, 8:03:56 PM10/9/18
to Azores Genealogy
Good afternoon everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could assist me in finding out any information on my father's side of the family.  Below I will provide some names that i found in an obituary for my grandfather.  While I do not have too much information, I was wondering if anyone on this forum could help me find out any information about my grandfather and his relatives.  Specifically links to databases, pictures, records, etc.  Anything that will help me complete a picture of where I came from.

Any assistance anyone could provide would be greatly appreciated.  I joined just now in hopes to learn more about myself and the people who proceeded me.  Thank you.

This is what I have for names:

Manuel P. Melo: Born in Teatro Novo, Capelas, St. Michael, Azores, he was the son of the late Joao and Margarida (de Paiva) Melo and the brother of the late Maria dos Anjos Paiva Medeiros and Jose Paiva Melo.

Again, not much but if there is anyone out there who may know something please share!

Cheri Mello

Oct 9, 2018, 8:12:21 PM10/9/18
to Azores Genealogy
Horace,

The 3 pieces that you need are a name, date, and a place. You have the names and a place. You need a date or a range. My grandparents were born in the early 1900s. My dad's grandparents were born in the 1880s. Saying "grandparents" gives us no clue at all to the date because it's relative to you. So you need to put a range on it.

Once you get an approximate date, you can search Capelas on the tombo.pt web site. It's a portal the Azorean government records.
1) Go to tombo.pt (or tombo.pt/en if you need to navigate in English).
2) Type Capelas in the left column. Hit enter.
3) You want the one with the church called Nossa Senhora da Apresentação. Click that one.
4) Start hunting.
Good luck,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Horace Melo

Feb 7, 2019, 7:35:35 PM2/7/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I was able to get a year if 1931 for my grandfather from Capelas. The church books only seem to go to 1911.

Are there resources available for 1931?

Thank you!

Horace

Cheri Mello

Feb 7, 2019, 7:44:14 PM2/7/19
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Horace,

Yay, progress!

The Azores (and most countries and regions) have their privacy concerns. So protections are in place for those who may be living. You won't find a 1931 birth or baptism from the Azores online anywhere. The books may be sent to the corresponding archive in 2035. And since you are talking about Sao Miguel, I don't know what they are going to do. The archive said they are out of room. The Civil Registry has the records. If you have the EXACT date, you can order a record from that particular Civil Registry. They won't do a search for you however. :(

In your original post you said this about your ancestor:

<<Manuel P. Melo: Born in Teatro Novo, Capelas, St. Michael, Azores, he was the son of the late Joao and Margarida (de Paiva) Melo and the brother of the late Maria dos Anjos Paiva Medeiros and Jose Paiva Melo.>>

So your Manuel P. Melo was born in 1931 in Capelas? When and where did he die? Was he the immigrant or did he immigrate with his parents? His siblings: Maria dos Anjos Paiva Medeiros and Jose Paiva Melo....were they older or younger? Do you have an EXACT date of birth on one of them? If you do, order their birth which will name the same parents and grandparents as your Manuel.

Hope one of these strategies work!
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Horace Melo

Feb 7, 2019, 8:02:21 PM2/7/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
I know Manuel came to Fall River in 1966 with my grandmother and passed away in Fall River on September 15, 2013.

So good news there. You mentioned being able to purchase a record.  Is there a certain way to purchase a record?

Thank you so much Cheri!

Horace

Cheri Mello

Feb 7, 2019, 8:07:57 PM2/7/19
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Horace,

Do you have the exact birth date of your Manuel b. 1931 and died 15 Sept 2013? The trick to working with the Civil Registry is having the EXACT date.

If your Manuel came to Fall River with HIS mother (your grandmother), you should trace HER. If your Manuel was born in 1931, his mom may have been born in 1911 or maybe earlier. You will then be able to use the records online!

If you have your Manuel's EXACT birth, you can order online, but you have to have your Portuguese I.D. card. Do you have one of those?
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Horace Melo

Feb 7, 2019, 8:14:03 PM2/7/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
No Portuguese I.D. card for me!  Born in the states. Am I still eligible for one?

I know I can get the exact date from my father. Manuel came with his wife Maria Benevedes.

Best,
Horace

Cheri Mello

Feb 7, 2019, 8:18:02 PM2/7/19
to Azores Genealogy
Horace,

I believe the online web site asks you for your Portuguese I.D. card. I'm not sure how you'd get one when you reside in the U.S. You may need to hire Joao Ventura to obtain it for you. He lives in the Azores, so he'd have the correct identification. I suggest you email him with your ancestor's full name, complete date of birth, who the parents are, and the freguesia of Capelas on Sao Miguel island. Joao is bilingual, so you can write him in whatever language you prefer. His direct email is heroi99 at yahoo.com

Good luck,
Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Nelia DiBiase

Feb 7, 2019, 10:54:08 PM2/7/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I’m from Capelas and my father who is 78 has a very very sharp memory.  If you have any info on your parents if they lived in Capelas then I can ask him about your family etc and he may be able to remember something about your grandparents.... my grandfather was born in 1913 so your ancestors are younger which would probably mean that my father may remember them.

In Capelas everyone pretty much knew one another.

Regards,

Nelia.

Cheri Mello

Feb 7, 2019, 11:22:27 PM2/7/19
to Azores Genealogy
Oooo, someone just got lucky!

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Horace Melo

Feb 10, 2019, 6:56:07 PM2/10/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Nelia,

Thank you for reaching out!  My father was born in 1963 in Capelas (Horace H. Melo) to Manuel P. Melo (b. 1931) and Maria Benevedes Melo (b. 1931).

Manuel's father was Joao Melo and Margarida de Paiva. I don't know when they were born.

Manuel also had a brother Jose Paiva Melo born in 1933 and a sister Leotilde born in 1939.

They left in 1966 to come to Fall River, MA.

They lived on Teatro Novo Road in Capelas. The screenshot is the house they owned #75 (the screenshot displays #96 at the bottom).

Any information you could provide would be the very much appreciated!

Thank you!

Horace
Screenshot_20190210-184412.png

lunamarc

Dec 4, 2019, 10:46:48 PM12/4/19
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Nelia,

I have a good feeling about this one. I believe we are related through my Grandmother who still has cousins in Feitera with connections to Capelas based on some hints I found. I have yet to upload this cousin's info to Gedmatch and I'm going to do it now.

Maria

On Tue, Oct 9, 2018 at 8:03 PM Horace Mello <horac...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Nelia DiBiase

Dec 4, 2019, 10:55:04 PM12/4/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Maria,

I’ve uploaded my kit to gedmatch as well.

Let’s see if we match.

Nelia

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/azores/02335fb3-85a7-41da-aa50-92a0db933e24%40googlegroups.com.
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

lunamarc

Dec 5, 2019, 11:11:04 PM12/5/19
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Nelia,

I have the wrong line but now that I have narrowed it down. We are most likely related on my Martins/Correia/Bettencourt line.

Let me know if either of these come up on your tree.

Deb McCabe

Dec 6, 2019, 12:12:43 PM12/6/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Luna, Does Nelia match with me? (Asking here because I don't have her kit #).  If so,  it should be the Martins side of your tree.
Deb

On Thu, Dec 5, 2019 at 8:11 PM, lunamarc
--
Sent from Gmail Mobile

Cheri Mello

Dec 6, 2019, 1:27:18 PM12/6/19
to Azores Genealogy
Hi Deb,

You log into your page and type Nelia's name in the search box:
image.png

I'll save you some time. Nelia did not turn up on your match list.

You can match on paper and not with DNA. Sometimes 2 individuals do not inherit enough DNA to be reported as a match.
Hope this helps, Cheri

Deb McCabe

Dec 7, 2019, 11:52:30 PM12/7/19
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Cheri !

When I searched for ancestors, I found friends!

Monica C

Dec 9, 2019, 12:22:31 AM12/9/19
to Azores Genealogy
DBM,

I have mapped out the Paiva's in capelas as far as the records go up to. We are probably a match as well.

To confirm a paper trail, you  will need to locate information/dates before 1911. Is that an issue for you?

Hope to hear from you.

Monica  :)

Deb McCabe

Dec 9, 2019, 9:59:59 AM12/9/19
to 'Monica C' via Azores Genealogy
Monica,

Thank you for the generous offer. As Cheri Mello mentioned in an earlier email to me (see below), the DNA doesn't show a connection; but that far back, it doesn't mean I am not related to the Paiva line.  I was following up on an email from my cousin Maria Sue Luna (see below) to Nelia, stating that a match is likely on Maria's (our) Martins Correia Bettencourt line.

If you are willing to share info, I gladly would examine a paper trail.  While not proficient in Portuguese, I am able to pick out a lot of the key info in genealogy documents.

Deb

When I searched for ancestors, I found friends!