Searching for Maria Oliveira, b. abt 1875, Sao Miguel Island

Dennis Munise

Jun 18, 2022, 10:52:43 AM6/18/22
to Azores Genealogy
Hello I'm searching for Maria Oliveira, possibly uses the surname Moniz also.  I recently DNA matched to someone with a basic tree and am investigating this match.  The individual doesn't have any information to support why they have Maria listed as having the surname of Moniz.  Year of birth is deduced from wedding record.

I'm reaching out to see if anyone happens to have this individual in their tree before I dig into the baptism records parish by parish.  The information I have:

Born in Sao Miguel abt. 1875 per wedding record
Maiden name Maria Oliveira Moniz (per great granddaughter's tree)
Immigrated to Hawaii before 1892
Married Joao de Cambra on 25 Nov 1892
Died 18 Oct 1924, Honolulu Hawaii (per great granddaughter's tree - I cannot find a record of her death.)

Thanks for looking!
Capture.JPG

Linda Mare

Jun 18, 2022, 11:14:05 AM6/18/22
to azo...@googlegroups.com
Oops forgive me. I didn’t see the attachment image in the bottom of the message. I’ve attached an arrival record for Hawaii of the Oliveira Moniz family I mentioned in my previous email. They were from Fajã de Cima, Ponta Delgada.

Dennis Munise

Jun 18, 2022, 11:36:49 AM6/18/22
to Azores Genealogy
No worries, it doesn't help when there are so many common names!  The Maria Oliveira I'm referencing is from Sao Miguel.  It's on the marriage record and related index cards.  Unfortunately, Hawaii didn't record parents' names.  That would have helped TREMENDOUSLY!

Cheri Mello

Jun 18, 2022, 12:04:24 PM6/18/22
to Azores Genealogy
Dennis,

The ship for Hawaii left from Sao Miguel island. So those wanting to go to Hawaii had to get over to S. Miguel. That's why the vast majority of immigrants to Hawaii were from Sao Miguel.

Linda mentioned that the family on the card was from Faja de Cima in the council of Ponta Delgada. I asked Kathy to upload a more detailed map of Sao Miguel to the Azores Genweb. You can see on the map that Arrifes and Faja de Cima are adjacent:
image.png

Yeah, it's kinda busy looking, but has every freguesia on it.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Cheri Mello

Jun 18, 2022, 12:05:22 PM6/18/22
to Azores Genealogy
P.S. The ship actually came from Madeira first. The only stop in the Azores was Sao Miguel island.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Dennis Munise

Jun 18, 2022, 12:21:29 PM6/18/22
to Azores Genealogy
Oh I apologize, thank you for clearing that up!  I'll see where this one takes me!

Dennis Munise

Jul 9, 2022, 1:01:00 PM7/9/22
to Azores Genealogy
Just wanted to circle back on this to say thanks, I was able to find Maria's birth record and confirmed the family members with the passport info.

Two things to note:
  1. We all know this but just to repeat for newcomers....the records are not infallible. It turns out that Francisca on this document (and the others I found) was actually Francisco.
  2. At least in my case here...familysearch.org was the best source for Hawaiian immigration records.  Ancestry.com turned up nothing on this family.
Thanks again!

Cheri Mello

Jul 9, 2022, 2:24:30 PM7/9/22
to Azores Genealogy
Yay!!! Congrats!

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Dennis Munise

Jul 9, 2022, 2:46:47 PM7/9/22
to Azores Genealogy
One quick follow-up - what does this say under destination on the passport records?  I don't think it's relevant to this search, I just want to know for my own curiosity.  Whoever filled out the passport book put this at the top of every page.

Passport.JPG

bsei.azo...@gmail.com

Jul 9, 2022, 2:54:25 PM7/9/22
to Azores Genealogy
It says "Sandwich".  The Hawaiian Islands used to be called the Sandwich Islands.  It is only written in that column when Hawaii was the destination.  Other entries you might find in this column are America, Brasil, Rio de Janeiro, Inglaterra, etc.

Bill Seidler

Cheri Mello

Jul 9, 2022, 2:57:48 PM7/9/22
to Azores Genealogy
Yes, Bill got it. Sandwich is the old name for the Hawaiian Islands.

Cheri Mello
Listowner, Azores-Gen
Researching: São Miguel island: Vila Franca, Ponta Garca, Ribeira Quente, Ribeira das Tainhas, Achada

Dennis Munise

Jul 9, 2022, 3:05:45 PM7/9/22
to Azores Genealogy
Interesting, thank you!

Mindy Silva

Jul 10, 2022, 11:14:32 AM7/10/22
to Azores Genealogy
Congratulations!! You should bookmark the ulukau.org site for any future Hawaiian research. If you scroll down on the first page it shows the collections or resources they have. You can also search for marriages, divorces, and court cases.