Seeking information about Jane Wallace, died 1732 aged 60 at Coylton

Wayne Mills

Feb 16, 2021, 4:25:28 AM2/16/21
to Ayrshire History
Hi,
I am researching the ancestors of my 3GGF Kenneth McKenzie (born abt 1810 Skye) who was part of the “Highland Clearances” on Lord McDonald's Sleat estate. With his family he was put aboard the Highland and Islander Emigration Society (HIES) chartered ship HMS Hercules at Rothesay, Sleat in December 1852, and after a long and eventful journey, arrived at Hobsons Bay, Victoria, Australia on  3rd October 1853 after having been transhipped onto the the ship “Charles”. But very little is known of his origins. I have tentatively traced his forbears back to a Jane Wallace via an inscription of burials at Coylton who died in 1732 aged 60. She was buried in the Coylton churchyard with her husband John Campbell (farmer Kayshill died 1698 aged 33). There are some accounts that her father was a Mathow (Mathias or Mathew) Wallace about 1640, but there were apparently two “Mathews”, born about the same time, one being born on 5th February 1638 in Glasgow and another christened in Raphoe, Ireland on the same day! By all accounts the Glasgow born Mathew died young, without issue. The Irish Mathew emigrated to America with his family and some accounts say a Jane Wallace married a John McKnitt there and that she died there. But, “my” Jane was buried in Coylton, along with her son Robert Wallace of Mosside. I would be grateful if someone, perhaps closer to the events might be able to shed some light on the ancestors and descendents of the Jane Wallace that married into this Campbell family in Ayrshire?
Thanks,
Wayne Mills,
Beechworth, Victoria, Australia

Wayne Mills

Feb 16, 2021, 7:42:08 AM2/16/21
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I just noticed a "typo" in my email
The son of Jane Wallace buried in the Coylton Church Cemetery was of course Robert Campbell of Mosside.
Are you able to edit the post?
Regards,
Wayne Mills
Beechworth