BBC One's Antiques Roadshow filming at Culzean Castle - appeal for items

David McClure

Aug 21, 2020, 6:19:14 AM8/21/20
to Ayrshire History

Pamela Parkes <Pamela...@bbc.co.uk>
09:35 (1 hour ago)

Good morning,

I hope you don’t mind me contacting you - I got your email via http://www.ayrshirehistory.org.uk/about.htm

You may already know that Antiques Roadshow is filming at Culzean Castle later this year with an invited audience only. We are asking people to write in with their items and are very keen to make sure that the Roadshow continues to represent all of the communities that we are filming in.

I wondered if you may be able to help spread the word through your contacts?

We're looking for items which are a bit of a mystery to the owners – these may not necessarily be valuable object but have a real story behind them. We would be looking for items to be submitted ASAP and before the end mid-September ideally.

I’ve attached a flyer, press release and photo - if there is any way you could help I’d be very grateful.

Best wishes

Pam

  Pamela Parkes

Tel 07410 626330

Pamela...@bbc.co.uk

B2.4, Broadcasting House, Whiteladies Road,

BRISTOL  BS8 2LR

bbcstudios.com

Iain Tulloch

Aug 21, 2020, 7:36:00 AM8/21/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
The fund I WAS WORKING FORinvested in The Independent newspaper AND I HAVETHE FOLLOWING NEWSPAPERS:
  • dummy
  • first daily
  • first Sunday plus magazine
  • first magazine
  • last daily
I am wheelchair bound after a stroke and would need advance warning of the date
Thanks and good luck
Iain

Iain Tulloch
9 Seagate
Prestwick
Ayrshire KA9 1AY

Bill thomson

Oct 26, 2020, 2:48:56 PM10/26/20
to Ayrshire History
Appreciate the idea of sharing this, but I think the BBC has now become so anti-British that they will never represent any community made up of British people, they will be playing identity politics with the guests as they do with every other programme that they produce.  It will be woke and oikophobic with a large slice of virtue signalling and inverted racism, Oh and somehow they will fit in a criticism of Brexit, Boris Johnson and Donald Trump whilst championing the BLM racists who destroy our culture.  And after a long hard day of telling us how great diversity is for this country they will go home to their predominantly white neighbourhood where THEY choose to live.

I'm surprised that after their clear disregard for pensioners that they now have the cheek to ask for our help, I'm so glad I stopped paying their TV tax.

Jim R

Oct 27, 2020, 5:34:25 AM10/27/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Bill in my opinion this is a dreadful post. It's got nothing to do with Ayrshire history and I don't feel it's appropriate here.
You are entitled to your options, of course, but may I remind you of the poet Burns, a man's a man for a' that.
Peace and good will for you

Jim

William Thomson

Oct 27, 2020, 7:45:22 AM10/27/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Yes,
       I agree with you that it is nothing to do with Ayrshire history, which is why I am questioning the BBC using this forum at all.  I think burns would have something to say about BBC oikophobia; to quote a line from the poem you mention, "the man o' independent mind, He looks and laughs at a that"  Their recent stance on a range of issues which are even being raised in Westminster tells me that many people share my opinion.  However, unlike the far-left PC brigade, I show tolerance towards others who think differently to me, if the BBC did the same then its future would not be in question.

Janice and Andy Dunbar

Oct 27, 2020, 12:11:32 PM10/27/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com

William Braniff

Oct 27, 2020, 12:11:59 PM10/27/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
I agree with you Jim  "a dreadful post"

Campbell Thomas

Oct 28, 2020, 3:25:05 AM10/28/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Bill,

The irony in what you wrote is that the majority of UK national newspapers are owned by billionaires, are right-wing (often ludicrously so) and Tory supporting, as you appear to be.

The BBC, through Ofcom, is held to far higher standards of accuracy and impartiality than the print media and is a safe haven of professional, quality balanced journalism. This seems to be what is upsetting you.

However, you may be in luck, as the opinion polls show that Scotland should have its own broadcaster sooner than we may think.

Best regards,

Campbell Thomas

Sent from my iPhone

Janice Menzies

Oct 28, 2020, 9:35:31 AM10/28/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Oh, Campbell - can we please just agree not to prolong this left wing/right wing tit for tat any further?
I’m sure there be must be umpteen forums which would welcome that sort of discussion, but I - and many others, I think - enjoy this one because on it we find out so much about old Ayrshire, its people, and the lives of our ancestors who lived there. Our political views can be expressed elsewhere.
J. Menzies

Sent from my iPad

On 28 Oct 2020, at 07:25, Campbell Thomas <hotwi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

 Bill,

Deborah Rea

Oct 28, 2020, 10:17:31 AM10/28/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Please just leave it.  I, for one, dont want this stuff on our Ayshire family history site.

Debbie Rea

Campbell Thomas

Oct 28, 2020, 11:16:09 AM10/28/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
I’ve been in this group for many years, during which politics has rightly never been discussed. You’ll note my response to the original ranter avoided the subject and answered his assertions. People who step out of line should be challenged directly, or alternatively a moderated forum could be launched. I suggest we just carry on as normal, as it seems to have blown over.

Campbell

Sent from my iPhone

Bill Hunter

Oct 28, 2020, 1:31:23 PM10/28/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com

Bill Hunter

I totally agree there are plenty of political forums on all formats in the digital world  -  if you want to discuss or argue politics go there and voice your opinions  - if you want to discuss or find out historical facts or information in or around Ayrshire then this site is for you.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Oct 28, 2020, 1:31:37 PM10/28/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
As someone confined to a wheelchair, Ifind the ranting somewhat depressing.Please desist
Iain

Dana Murray

Oct 28, 2020, 1:43:18 PM10/28/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
I appreciate so much the existence of this site. It's wonderful that so many people from all over the world, though they may never meet, can come together to reach back and explore paths that crossed in the past. We all have an interest and history in common that somehow touches our lives today. Thank you to those that started the site, and to those who stand together today helping each other through it.

Jim R

Nov 4, 2020, 9:58:57 AM11/4/20
to ayrshir...@googlegroups.com
Completely agree. There's lots of places to vent your political spleen if you feel the need. Let's keep this site free from political fisticuffs.